After waiting for years for next gen panels with higher resolutions to be mass produced, the near future finally starts to light up bright:
1) Boe is almost ready with their new plant! They started to build this new fab in 2017 and they're planning to build the coolest 4k + 8k (and higher?) res OLED panels here. Now the latest news is that Boe has started ordering equipment for the new fab and that they're planning to start test production early 2019: https://www.oled-info.com/etnews-boe-and-olightek-start-trial-oled-microdisplay-production-early-2019
2) It has been a bit quite around Kopin but they're also now talking about Q1-2019 to start production (2 weeks ago in their conference call). They have been talking about Olightek as production partner, which in turn is partner in the new Boe fab, so they might start production the same time as Boe, in the same fab.
3) JDI promised, at displayweek, to start mass production their new high res gen LCD panels in Q1 2019 too
4) And there's samsung, speculation is that they're going to present their next gen AR/VR HMD soon, which might come already with 4k OLED panels, so they might beat them all, but this is speculation.
5) LG obviously hasn't been sitting still, they're partnering with Google on the next gen HMD but it's been quite there, couldn't find any new info..
So in short, I think next gen AR/VR HMD's with improved resolutions is FINALLY not far away anymore, we most likely will see them Q1-Q2 next year.