I GOT CHRONOS WORKING!
The SteamVR panel still does not show any sensors or lighthouses (only the HMD shows green). And I did verify that PSMove service is required to run Chronos and that it does appear to be opening the PS Eye camera.
I wish I could point to one thing and say "it was this" but because I did so much without testing Chronos each time (I was looking for the sensor icon) I'm not sure what did the trick. by 2 am this morning I had reinstalled and reconfigured Revive and PSMove and put SteamVR back to default settings, tried SteamVR in both direct and extended mode, tried Pimax version 1.1.92 and 1.2.57, bluescreened Windows 10 a couple of times (SteamVR and Pimax 1.1.92 both in extended mode bluescreens Win 10). Rebooted dozens of times.
In the end, here is my configuration and how I start it all up:
1) Pimax 1.2.57 in Pimax mode (I have investigated a number of issues with 1.1.97 but not having much luck getting it, steamVR, and Oculus/Revive driver to all play nice together).
2) Start PSMove Service (AS ADMINISTRATOR) with only one PSEye connected.
3) Start Steam AS ADMINISTRATOR (to avoid the "failed entitlement check of even free Oculus games such as Goat Mountain, and Lucky's Tale)
4) Start SteamVR from the Steam task (note that only the HMD icon shows green, not any of the controllers or lighthouses and there is no PS Eye icon). Steam is running in direct mode (in SteamVR extended mode (disable direct mode, the the steamVR panel loos the same but the game does see the hardware on my system)
5) Run Chronos from the Revive tab inside the Steam Big Picture panel in the VR HMD.
1) In device manager, the HMD only ever appears as a Genric PNP monitor, but after all the stuff I did last night, the SteamVR log now reports it as a Pimax device, not a Rift any more.
2) In general I have been noticing some juddering when I turn my head that was never present under 1.1.92 so I'm hoping iMax is thinking about performance for their next release.
Thank you to everyone's help, especially HipsterSloth908 I(one of the developers and supporters of PSMove) and Jonnypanic on the PiMx support forum! I could not done this without bot of their help and especially being able to see jonnypanic's logs and understand the details of how he got it working.
I hope these two long threads help others fighting the same fight: