1080ti SLI in VR

They don’t need it as long as
a) the VR market is still a niche, and those who would be willing to spend even more to get two expensive high-end graphics cards are an even tinier niche
b) they can sell off their entire production capacity easily to gamers & miners.

We will probably have to wait for another couple of years until VR catches fire on the main stream market, and you see dedicated twin-GPU graphics cards for VR appear, supported by a truly functional driver implementation (and without any micro-stuttering/timing issues which so far has been an issue for SLI).

@neal_white_iii: I am exactly in the same spot as you are - owning the 980Ti, waiting for the 1180Ti. Seems to make most sense to me in terms of easy-to-use GPU power for money, where I do wish to get a lot of GPU power nevertheless. As my 8K may only arrive towards the end of the year, and the ETA of my 8K(X) is completely unpredictable at this stage, waiting for the 1180Ti will not mean such a long wait after all…

[Edit: given the newest update from Pimax, who knows, perhaps I will receive my 8K in August after all… I will likely still remain patient because there is little point in upgrading to the 1080Ti to sell it 3-6 months later, but it would hurt a bit…]

Since the first day of owning VR from 2016 till now. out of maybe 100 games i have tried. maybe only 1 or 2 supported SLI to date, none of them were memorable games that demanded a instant hardward upgrade purchase. While it may be good to have, the return for the investment is nothing to write home about.

whenever the marketing guys see a selling point it doesn’t matter how small the niche is. It happens all the time, all that is needed is the media who picks up the story and sells it like the latest hot sh*t.
But yeah right so, there simply is no need to push for nVidia, but AMD doesn’t either. Game Developers simply don’t care. That’s my point.

Unfortunately this is not about the marketing guy - this is about the NVidia engineers who need to implement the SLI support natively in their freakin’ driver so you do not have to hope for the poor game devs to cary out a complex tasks for a tiny percentage of their customers. It should be a built-in capability which the game dev simply can ignore. It should be comparable to the multi-core support on the CPU side. I honestly do not really know where we are on that end - I do recall that many games did not really spread their load over more than two cores, which would mean it was the same mess, i.e. up to the game devs to make the game make use of the additional cores. I would hope this has improved in the meantime but don’t know.
In general spreading the load over multiple processing units is not a simple task, it appears, and we may have to wait for a while until that improves - not only because they do not care about us VR users…

And the problem therefore is, the engineers will only make this a serious project if their management sees sufficient return of investment in it. And that does not seem to be the case currently.

I can say that SteamVR side & appears on the pimax driver side at least supports some of the multi gpu. With steam check the vr log files it shows calls to LiquidVR & Nvidia’s.

As for direct support in games we hsvr serious sam & if you look it up both engines Unreal 4 & Unity 5.4+? Have VR support for sli\cf a game dev may need to turn it on (not sure if on by default or if just always active).

Will see if I cann find the link. But have posted it a few times. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

After doing a lot if reading it seems where Nvidia’s. Strength over Amd is Multi rendering.

The way the 3D works today it can’t be done in the drivers. A coder doesn’t have to generate standardized meta information that would tell a driver which shader and data goes to left or right eye, there even isn’t a standard defined how to generate frustrum for 2 views not even talking about post processing FX. Separation of code and data for dual GPU on driver level only is not possible today. GameWorks is also nothing that comes only with a driver…

And the driver discussion doesn’t change a thing.
nVidia doesn’t need and want to, they rather sell new GPUs, AMD doesn’t really push it either.

Yeah, agree…sorry I answered to the wrong person, my reply was directed to Yata_PL, I was talking about pure performance numbers, not about VR…

When I had two 970SLI it was always almost double perf in supported titles and 3DMark, but very few titles supported that…so I sold both and moved to the current 1080, with VR one is almost limited to a single card setup, the expense required for two cards is almost a waste of money.

Here is the link for vrspies forum discussing Unity & Unreal cf/sli support.

[quote=“oysta1109, post:19, topic:6085, full:true”]no… i would assume its better than a 1080ti?
if not i guess 1180ti is where my money is at.[/quote]
The 1180 is supposed to be slightly faster than a 1080Ti. It might not be any faster than an overclocked 1080Ti. The big difference is that the 1180 uses noticeably less power. If you want a more powerful GPU, you will probably want the 1180Ti.

who promised VR SLI?
HTC?

So I had today a little more time to try more things out:

Skyrim vr diffenetly looks way more sharper and smoother with SLI. The immersion is boosted… also the small details, like snowballs flying into your face by wind, its all so immersive. The sharpness is remarkable, even without supersampling. In Skyrim vr, which doesnt have SLI support, the GPU usage was 90% on first and 40% on seconed. With supersampling 1.8 was 99% and 35%.

Moving to Raw data, which has sli support, usage was 65% on both cards with supersampling 1.8. 90 FPS stable.

So even without softoware support, there is minimum 35% performance boost, not only in FPS, but most importantly in sharpness.

Cheers

okay…are we talking about a game that is 3D but you play it now in a VR setting?
Because all games benefit from SLI…most of the time.

So my question is…is it a game that you can play without a HMD? If answer is Yes, its pretty normal it will be smoother…
maybe make a distinguish between real VR games and games you can also play in VR using a certain program, the first might not have SLI support at all, the latter most of the time does.

I am talking about vr games only. Havent tried normal monitor games yet.

Promised probably wasn’t the right term.
Let me correct myself and rephrase,

VR SLI A Highly anticipated feature and selling point along with Fov redering for nvidia cards, since the 7 series. They knew no one uses them yet still marketing it like it’s game changing feature. So the unawared would go … hmmm that’s a good idea, but never see this feature in action in the lifetime of the card they purchased.

Maybe not a promised feature. But a gimmick one

But SLI for normal games is a different beast and generally I was happy with what it offered

I dont see sli would increase sharpness in any game.

Unless you change the resolution the game is running.

The only difference should only be the smooth of the gameplay, thanks to more gpu power to provide higher fps.

Other than that, I just dont see how SLI would do anything like you described.

35% increase with no sli support minimum.
This I find hard to believe and doesn’t coincide with my SLI experience.

The real question did They upgrade skyrim to use dx12 (probably not vulkan). Unreal 4 & unity 5.4+ has vr sli (vrwerks) & vr cf (LiquidVR)

Google anti-aliasing (set to values higher than 1.0). Although the displayed resolution has not changed it appears to be sharper.

Yeah I know…
But that’s not a feature specific to sli.

I’m still scratching my head why Bethesda did not used the newer engine and improved resulting graphics of Skyrim Special Edition, like they used in Fallout VR, and used the older engine in Skyrim VR instead…

I’ll not be glad if some Special Edition VR comes out, asking for more money… :unamused: