5K eye strain update

Okay so what I am going to suggest find a stereographic Gif file of a static image & load it in the SteamVR Media player (found in desktop status window drop down menu)

I believe folks said the soft settings affect things in realtime.

I have no idea about what are you talking about :confused:

Here is an example of a stereo 3d image

brian_lockett05

Someone might have a better one. Load it up in steamvr media player.

This link shows where to find the player.

2 Likes

Here is the user made guide

And then do what? Btw i’ve found out that hardening straps to put the headset closer to the eyes alleviate but do not solve the problem

Once image is loaded into media player try adjusting as per the link describes.

You need to know your official IPD going in.
If that number doesn’t line up with the IPD readout then your headset is going to need horizontal offset adjustment in pitool.
Start with Pitool default (0) offset.
Load up the Steam grid or some VR scene.
Pick your strongest eye and close the other.
Line it up to best clarity and switch eyes.
Adjust the headset so that it is as clear as possible in that eye.
take note of how far outside or inside you needed to move the headset.
If outside- minus the horizontal offset
If inside then plus.
You will hopefully find the setting that puts both lenses if perfect position when the IPD is matched to RL.

The 2nd part is to keep the headset in that position for the entire playtime which will be difficult in active games. Without a proper DAS this isn’t likely and having the headset moving off the sweet spot is going to cause eye strain. This is why many of us went to Vive Das, Studioform straps and counter-weights which given yet another delay in Pimax’s MAS was money well spent.

5 Likes

Ive noticed Right eye is a bit blurry no matter if i close left eye and move hardware knob/software IPD.
This further convinces me it’s an hardware error, i asked months ago @PimaxUSA for a replacement with no answer 2 times!

PimaxUSA isn’t really in charge of support, he pops in every once in a while to answer a question or two but giving hardware support over the forum is not his job, you need to create a ticket and/or ping @Matthew.Xu

I had support from a guy named “Wythe” and this is back from 20 lug 2019

Hi Insagaming:
My name is Wythe from the Pimax support team, we have received your feedback.
Our initial suspicion is that your problem is caused by the following reasons:
1.IPD physical adjustment Not adjusted well
2.Screen offset valueNot adjusted well
You can solve your problem by doing the following.

1. IPD physical adjustment knob (attached picture)
    2.Adjustment in Pitool IPD Offset & Screen vertical offset value (attached picture)

We are very willing to arrange time for you to assist you remotely. This is my Skype live:845109548@qq.com . You can contact me via Skype and tell me your convenient time.The remote assistance software we use is teamview.
    You can download this software via the link below (this software is free):https://www.teamviewer.com/
    After you download the teamview software and send us your ID and password, we can remotely check your computer.
    The current technical support team working hours are (Monday - Friday 9:30am - 20:00pm GTM+8)
    Look forward to your reply!

When i replied that i am not supposed to give remote access to my computer when my hardware is faulty he went missing. I’ve contacted them 3 times (4th by now) without answer.
They blatantly made the 1st month of purchase pass like this (i’ve received the headset mid june) to not refund me, now let’s see if i atleast can get a damn replacement.

1 Like

Ive noticed that my comfortable IPD is a little lower on the 5k+ than it was on my vive before it and i read that others say their near IPD measurement works better than their regular IPD for pimax.

I dont wear glasses so im not all that versed in what the near IPD is but from what i gather its what is measured for reading glasses, for focusing on something that is pretty close.

Do a quick search on “near IPD” here on the forum and you should stumble upon the relevant discussions, i think one of the post even had some diagrams explaining what someone else had figured out.

If its off by that much you probably read both numbers with the same eye, most of us have a dominant eye so close one eye at a time.
Look straight and locate 0 under the eye you hold the 0 on the ruler, then open the other eye, close the 0 eye and then read the measurement with your open eye.

Or just take extra care to focus with your non dominant eye for the measurement you need from it.

If you measure correctly you should easily be within 0.2 cm of your correct measurement and from there tweaking by feel shouldnt be an issue.

2 Likes

Sorry for the inconvenience.

What’s your ticket number? I will help you. Thank you.

4 Likes

16911, i can’t use this headset properly since i’ve got it mid-june 2019.
I’ve gone from 5 hours (yes, 5) in VR without problems with Oculus to 30min, if i stay 1 hour into pimax i just have to go sleep because eyes hurt too much. Motion sickness isn’t a problem, there’s just something wrong with hmd!

2 Likes

Contact Matthew and give him your ticket number. The customer service is terrible. Has to be your HMD

Sorry to hear your issues. My first 5K+ was off by 4 points in IPD and required much tweaking with the horizonal offset and some vertical to lock it in and that with having a DAS+Studioform strap+counterwight. I was able to do it though. IPD 66.7

My 2nd 5K+ was bang on my official IPD and once set was good to go. No offsets.

If your headset if off in calibration your chances of lining it up without a good DAS are lessened, I bet. Maybe not even achievable. Certainly will be hard to hold the position in the heat of battle.
This certainly suggests a variance in calibration is at play. I can see where if it is too far out lining it up could be problematic.

3 Likes

Sorry for the inconvenience.

We will follow up on the ticket asap, thank you.

3 Likes

They ignored me for months, now they told me that they will send a thicker mask foam to fix… but i’ve already did that? I put vive + pimax foam… right eye is just blurry

Just a thought, if you flip the headset upside down is it still blurry for the same lens (left eye now)?

Yes, but it’s more blurry in the upper part, i’ve noticed that it’s blurrier in the low part when wearing it correctly… like the lens is tilted somewhat

1 Like