My 5k+ works in general and performance with a Radeon RX580* on first impression looks good. That was on small FoV in Elite Dangerous with reduced settings. Performance wise it was not too bad when compared to my Rift setup. (*it’s a modded RX480, need to check other BIOS mod for better display compatibility)
Unfortunately there is not enough time at the moment to really test and optimize all options, I just did a short cruise without a fight to see what it could be like:
- in ED the blacks are not good enough, I will have to try the fix recommended by @Yata_PL, in the PiTool planet scene the dark colors are way better
- only in the hangar in ED when the ship turns there was stuttering. I will have to try to find optimal settings, not a deal breaker atm
- I have no lighthouse so only 3DoF - in ED the Y rotation axis is off, slightly in front of me causing wrong movement, that is sort of a deal breaker
- the edge distortion in PiTool even in normal FoV is too bad for me, moving the HMD slightly away and upright improves it a bit, but for a first try i had to use the small FoV non the less, face cushion customization will be needed I guess
- the headphones give me crackling noise with my Sony headphones and iPhone ear plugs, probably caused by insufficient GND separation, have to look into that, it’s a deal breaker atm but might be fixed with the audio headstrap and matching audio plug (?)
- in PiTool with the planet scene - while shaking the head fast - the rendering can’t hold up and brakes some frames, that isn’t the case with ED. Missing triple frame buffer there?
- in PiTool with the planet scene - I noticed some whiteish pixel thingies on the left display only, hope this fixes itself over time.
- Oculus Lucky’s Tale worked but not ED via Oculus, no matter what I tried. So I had to download the 7.5GB on Steam, that was kind a waste of time. I hope @Pimax-Support this gets fixed soon and we get a manual about what to do to start Elite Dangerous via the Oculus software stack
- the HMD wasn’t found at times, re-plugging the USB did the trick, rebooting the HMD requires a restart of software too.
Too early for a verdict, I need to
- get a fix for crackling headphone noise
- get a V2 lighthouse asap
- further try software optimization, aka need to find the time…
… will report as soon as I have relevant news