5K or 8K Would you swap pledge

LOL
Withot testing you can not know. The rant is just about ur bad mood, you still have to wait for the detailed offer of pimax and the NDA lifted.

But absolutly im glad you now agree we need more detailed information and as i was saying these are some of the things that need to be answered to make a decision or do you just moderat wait and see in all the posts here

The whole point of this post was to share thoughts on what why if but and maybe ,but hay if you need to make it about fellings then you go girl

It is a difficult choice. I see it as this…

1. Wait for tester announcement of 8K pro’s, con’s etc… then ask them what they would do.
  2. Buy both, sell the one you do not like.
  3. Stick with the 8K, some risk.
  4. Swap to the 5K, hopefully get 90Hz but at some risk of lower quality, but assumed better than Rift/Vive.
  5. Wait for meetup hand-on opinions then re-read 1 to 4 above.
  6. Sell pledge, wait for after launch and consumer reviews then buy it again at increased cost and less extras.

No 2 is best option but waiting for consumer unit to be released is a bit of a long haul on long haul ,
defiantly need to hear from pimax team and testers ,and hopfully get to try both units ,
my key questions are still as posted previously and was hoping to close a few doors on some of them but hay had not realized so little info floating around or being held to ransom as im sure its not going to be as simple as which one has the better screen

Less GPU power for 5K? Is this a hoax?

Because BOTH glasses have the same input resolution of 2560x1440.
Or not? So both need the same processing power of the graphics card.

And without refund the difference, I think No…

M2 is really the last hardware version?
And we could get it earlier, before the software is perfect?

Why should I hesitate, if this offer is real?
I do not risk anything (changes to the hardware, lenses, etc.), but can already use the glasses?
And I can decide if I want to keep the “old” Vive for some time (until the Pimax software is perfected), or sell it.

And in theory, in the future they could offer a replacement video board to upgrade the 8K to real UHD (“4K”) resolution…
With the 5K, this is impossible.

@ Axacuatl, with one cable, “8KX” is only a early experimental version, higher dp version makes one cable possible, and “Foveated Rendering” could reduce the GPU power down to 20%.
Every Backer will get the Eyte tracker, they could make “Foveated Rendering” soon possible.
Then we need not a new big expensive GPU.
OK, perhaps only the 1000 generation will works, not the “old” 900, but I could buy a cheaper low or mid range GTX 1000 series. Actually I use a 980Ti.
I think it would sufficient with FR for the “8K”, but it seems, the 900 series will not work.

EDIT: Fixed formatting to make quotes more obvious. Sorry about that.

Less GPU power for 5K? Is this a hoax?

Because BOTH glasses have the same input resolution of 2560x1440.
Or not? So both need the same processing power of the graphics card.

This has been unofficially explained that to make the 8K look decent, it needs to render at a resolution higher than 1440P. Apparently the 5K either doesn’t need to render at a higher resolution or quite as high (say render at 4K instead of 5-6K).

And in theory, in the future they could offer a replacement video board to upgrade the 8K to real UHD (“4K”) resolution…
With the 5K, this is impossible.

Not impossible but harder and likely cost prohibitive; you’d need to replace the displays.

@ Axacuatl, with one cable, “8KX” is only a early experimental version, higher dp version makes one cable possible, and “Foveated Rendering” could reduce the GPU power down to 20%.
Every Backer will get the Eyte tracker, they could make “Foveated Rendering” soon possible.
Then we need not a new big expensive GPU.

Foveated rendering needs to happen in the game engine and likely with support in the game. It’s not something Pimax can just enable, even with the requisite eye trackers in place (which may or may not be good enough [I have Tobii Eye Trackers and aren’t really sold on their accuracy]).

OK, perhaps only the 1000 generation will works, not the “old” 900…

The Gen 9 boards were almost not terrible for first gen VR. You really need Gen 10 for them Rift etc. 1080 will probably be the “not terrible” card for these cards (while technically I imagine you can get a paired down experience with a 1070). Either way, lets hope the Gen 11 cards arrive soon at reasonable prices.

There are some opportunities in the future regarding foveated rendering, but as we hardly know anything yet about the eye tracking solution chosen by Pimax we should not assume that it will be good enough to allow foveated rendering, and secondly even if it did, that doesn‘t help us until either NVidia/AMD or Unreal/Unity offer generic support of it, or game devs offer custom support of it with their specific game. Lots of if‘s & when’s in that sentence, so to speak.

For now eye-tracking is a stretch goal with unclear performance spec & delivery date, and that it would allow us to run our 980Ti with the 8K is a wet dream. Just plan to acquire a new gen NVidia card because that will very likely be what you and I will have to do in order to enjoy our new 8K. But only do so when you know the 8K has good reviews from the beta testers and the first backers having received it are happy with it too. By that time we will almost certainly have the option to buy a 3rd party 1180 and, depending on further delays, perhaps even the 1180Ti.

I knew this discussion was goin nowhere.
10 lil girlz dancing round the tree :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep total no show ,well at least we can look forward to the star vr reveal in a few days ,may (pole) prove interesting enough to sell my pledge :smirk:

The comparison we need to know is how much better or worse the 8k looks compared to the 5k when they are using the same rendering resolution, that being at presumably 5k, 6k and 8k. Because if the 5k looks very similar to the 8k given the same input signal then having more FPS might matter. If on the other hand, the higher render out of the 8k allows the upscaling to achieve a better result then maybe we don’t want to switch.

So given that none of the testers have seen the M2 nor a 5k headset and certainly haven’t given any comparison between the two we simply do not have enough information to make that sort of decision in an informed way.

But the M2 has no upgrade except tracking and a new face cushion. The optics of the 8K are finalized already. Hopefully they can improve distortion with software updates

Their new test equipment that does 190FoV should make that work well as per last update. Prior tgey could only measure up to 120.

Also the m2 for sure should have upgraded Chassis to improve durability & quality.

Hope so buddy. I do believe they can compete with star VR on price if they have the basics right. It’s unlikely they will reveal a panel higher that 1440p. Lets’s see what happens on the 14th :wink: :beers:

They will only have to compete at the consumer level; if StarVR releases to consumer (3 days tils we know). If they only release at enterprise level then no concern. Either way price will be interesting; with oled screens likely to be pricey.

Real question though is platform support; up until their Surprise website announcement. We don’t know if they have gone with OpenVR/steam support or not or if so status of their driver integration. So until the announcement we’re more in the dark then with pimax. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

If you cant love the one you want .love the vive your with :confounded:

Source…? (20characaft)

I don’t know for certain, but the M2 very likely to have additional hardware tweaks, like a sturdier housing, since the M1 has issues with stress cracking.

Either way I think it’s really great that Pimax is going to do those public demo’s soon, so people can see for themselves. I hope people will find it good enough and Pimax can release soon. Because if people for example have complaints about the lenses, what should Pimax do? Go through another iteration of lens design which could take months, maybe even longer and with an uncertain outcome? I really don’t know, that’s a really tough call to make. At some point it just has to be good enough … And those demo’s are the best way to find that out.

Couldn’t agree more ,time is a great giver as far as ps1 ps2 ps3 ps4 > if we had backed the ps1 and they kept improving rather than delivering < you get the picture at some point there has to be a ,its good enough for now

But still nothing but an old video to compare pro,s and con,s 5k 8k ,i hope at the meet up they will bring both units :kissing_heart:

The other core benefit too with General Backers trying out the M2 is they are not necessarily VR experts.

What I mean by this. Consider Ben from Road2Vr. I can imagine due to his skills in evaluating VR he is more likely to be analyzing the headset the whole time while using it. Meaning it reallt has to be all oit wow most likely. When testing your posed to look for nitty gritty that some might not be bothered or notice.

4 example my old 55" TV had a stuck pixel 1.5" from the bottom & about 5" in. You know I hadn’t noticed it until s friend pointed it out. Then my eyes kept gravitating to that spot. (Fine tip perm marker fixed that cyan pixel nicely) lol.