8k Arrived Oct 17 2018 (Heliosurge)

And then choose Swevivers video.

Updated post 2 & 3 20 chars

Is there a reason why you’re testing everything with hidden mask set to disabled?

SweViver: Pimax For Dummies #1 - New series with Pimax update news, hints, tweaks, tutorials and more!

Just testing things out. Hidden Mask can affect performance as well. But may fix certain issues.

Something where will likely retest later with on to see if any affect on performance & quality.

The hidden area mask is a very significant optimization. When it’s disabled, you pay full rendering cost for all pixels, even the ones that are outside of the area that’s visible through the lense. The hidden area mask is always enabled on all other HMDs (Vive, Rift, WMR etc), so I actually think it’s not good that Pimax makes it an option that’s so easy to disable. It’s almost like allowing you to disable low persistence, it’s not really something that should ever be done. Almost no game should have issues with the hidden area mask, and if there’s a game that has, that would fully be the responsibility of the devs to fix. Everyone should really always keep it enabled, unless you see issues related to it (black areas in your view, mostly in the corners of the FOV).

I’m just going through the motions; simplifying options. Will retest with on later to examine. But thanks for adding clarity to what it more does & is. This setting is new to me as the p4k didn’t have it.

It’s possible they might have needed to implement this option due to the cantered displays & some aps needing parallel projections compatibility switch.

In Post #5 was able to get Hellblade to work with compromises; your tip will be my next retest! Thank you! :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

There’s allllways some scenario where more “advanced settings” are helpful/fix situations. It’s a miracle I made fo4vr look gorgeous and have basically no fps drops (except top tower at corvega of course) in a situation where otherwise your either a)waiting for an update to fix your very uncommon issue that never happens or b)abandoning hope.

What is the native resolution of the p4k.

maybe its the fact that the images isnt upscaled from 1440p.

Natively input on the p4k is 1440p or 1080p(low spec mode) upconverted to 4k.

But the p4k only has 1 1440p where as the 8k has dual 1440p upscaled to dual 4k.

So yes it is upscaled. But the p4k has a rainbow rgb & the 8k has a diagonal ??? Arrangement.

Seriosly ? Iv been back a few times ,tryed metro and ratchet n clank ,borderlands and well almost but def not if you get what i mean ,and very :face_vomiting:, what if any has changed

Hey! What did those twenty characters ever do to YOU! :grin:

At this point you have enough posts in this thread that you could make your own with a split. :wink:

@Heliosurge could do that if you gave him the appropriate post numbers (for yourself and the people you were talking to).

Man, I hijack everybody’s posts. I am post squatter.

I “liked” for the fun of the picture regarding the context, but also feel obliged to add “DO NOT PLAY BAD WITH ANIMALS”.

I can just hope and wish that inoffensive turtle was gently put back down to ground after the picture was taken.

I think it goes without saying but I will say it anyway. Animal cruelty is not OK.

As for the turtle in the picture, I can’t verify its safety. That picture has been reposted a lot and I was unable to find the original source.

As an aside, I found this on the wikipedia page for Post Turtle.

An old rancher is talking about politics with a young man from the city. He compares a politician to a “post turtle”. The young man doesn’t understand and asks him what a post turtle is.

The old man says, “When you’re driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that’s a post turtle. You know he didn’t get up there by himself. He doesn’t belong there; you wonder who put him there; he can’t get anything done while he’s up there; and you just want to help the poor, dumb thing down.”

But is it okay for animals to be cruel to people?

But yeah cruelty is not good. The question though moot was the pic staged & the turtle. Then put him on the ground.

Just keep in mind some think it’s cruel to raise animals for eating.

Obviously the pic was staged (unless that was a ninja turtle). The question of cruelty still remains, however, as we aren’t sure that the turtle was ever put back on the ground. That being said, I would say it is a fairly safe assumption that it was.

So no different than a hollywood staged scene with animals.

@Heliosurge, you, as a rare owner of two great headsets, could greatly help in a couple of questions to ease the heavy agony of choosing between 5K + and 8K :slight_smile:

1. How do you rate SDE 8K and 5K + in comparison with Pimax 4K? (very important question)

2. How do you rate the clarity compared to the Pimax 4K for every headset?

3. What would you choose if you had to choose from both headsets, but leave only one for long use? (Condition: video previews in the headset are not taken into account. Only for VR games and applications, auto simulators.)

The last very important question :wink:

4… In current headsets with 100FOV (Rift, Odyssey, etc.), SDE is very noticeable far on the horizon in car simulators, although in other games SDE is not very noticeable. Because of this, I threw my favorite wheel on the shelf a long time ago and waited for the Pimax 8K to appear, especially for simulators (and of other games too, of course)

For example, in the Pimax 4K SDE on the horizon did not interfere, did not pock in the eyes.

illustration

But the Pimax 5K + and 8K also do not see the pixel grid on the horizon and is comparable to the Pimax 4K, or is SDE still littering the eyes? Tell us about 8K and 5K + separately about SDE on the horizon in car simulators, please.