About M1 closed beta

Yes, I am very disappointed with star vr because it can’t set the IPD and not good enough for me.

Pimax 4k look like mojing s1 for me (110 fov cardboard), although it has less sde, but I can see the edge of display, I always listen that people talk about the ghosting, but never found anyone complain about this. When you see the edge of display, you will see the square of display overlap with circle of lenses and this is not great.

All tester should report the issues seriously.

Anybody else wanted a higher quality version here it is

Please stay on topic. Just because not everyone can afford to buy multiple headsets.(myself included) is no reason to attack one that can.

No 2. Keep in mind as @Pumcy said valve has not fully released v2 lighthouse. So any tracking tests might be users utilizing v1 lighthouses. Otherwise nice list. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Updated with a gen 1 lh disclaimer. :slight_smile:

1. Reference Display replication. Test it with an amsler grid to check for warping and make sure you make the grid span your entire fov. Example of an amsler grid:http://cdna.allaboutvision.com/i/amsler-grid.gif

interesting idea, but are you expecting the testers to waste time looking for an amsler grid that fits your criteria? I certainly don’t have a file like that.

1. Tracking. Is it rock solid or even improved due to 2.0 lighthouse tracking sensors?

Valve’s second generation sensors do not improve tracking from first generation base stations. They don’t even improve tracking fro second generation sensors. SteamVR Tracking 2.0 enables larger tracked volumes because the sensors and base stations can communicate over-the-air now, which means the headset can identify more sensors at once.
The new sensors are also cheaper to manufacture.
They have benefits, but not for tracking accuracy.

1. Screens. If screen is 90hz: verify that it is. Analyze ghosting with high fps camera.
    If it isn’t: does it make games behavior strange? Some games that tie their game engine logic to 90hz or a divisible of 90hz. notice any bizzare or glitchy gameplay or game crashes? How’s the brightness?

It’s not possible to verify the screen refresh rate without hardware, and if Steam VR doesn’t have direct compatibility with the Pimax 8K, the software report won’t be reliable either. As far as I know, Pimax 8K uses Valve’s OpenVR API to connect to Steam, which doesn’t integrate with Valve’s performance reporting system.
Hopefully FCAT VR will work, but there’s absolutely no guarantee that it will.

Subjective testing is obviously possible, but objective tests will be difficult to perform.

1. Performance assurance/software: is brainwarp working? If it is: the frame rate should feel dramatically higher in scenes of motion. Do extensive tests.

Is ASW working? There shouldn’t be any lag on your hands in states of reprojection.
Is ATW working? Compare it on versus off looking at steamvr frame timing. Any crashes or instability with software in general?
Does piplay work yet? Or only steamvr rendering?

What would you consider “extensive tests?”

1. Lenses. Look for anomalies, godrays, chromatic aberration, mura and unspecified artifacts that are not part of the reference image. Is the fov truly 200 degrees? A test for that should be possible to set up by opening an image of 200 degrees and the line from origin to infinity should be just on where the lens ends horizontally. How is the vertical. Check for 120 degrees.

There is no way to accurately verify FOV. It’s actually not possible. There are no industry tests for such a measurement.
I would love to be able to compare the FOV of a Rift vs a Vive vs. an Odyssey vs. the Pimax 8K with an objective measurement, but no tools exist for that.
FOV depends on too many factors, including the distance the lenses are from the screen, the distance your eyes are from the lenses, the width of the screen, the type of lenses. There’s too many factors. But the eye distance is the kicker. Everyone has different face shapes, so everyone will perceive the FOV slightly different.

Comfort imo should be a major point. It seems to still be ‘one of’ the bigger issues current VR has to contend with. My Rift was light but the facepad felt like sandpaper after a short time, gripping my face badly (vr cover helped).

Vive was a bit too heavy and too lose initially but felt better on the face. Vive DAS has improved my Vive a lot with mostly just weight still being the issue (esp mine being one of the earliest Vive’s, I hear they are a little lighter now).

I believe many say the head strap with the Vive pro is very nice. I hope Pimax do a good job with theirs and have taken the time to take note of what works well with others (especially the Vive pro)!?.

Here use this amsler grid. Open it up as a window in big screen beta. Make it large to extend whole field of view and tell us if the lines stay straight going across the whole thing. Make sure the screen in bigscreen beta is set to flat.

There is a way to accurately measure field of view without fancy tools.

Get a marker, stand by a large wall, and tie the marker to the vive wand. Mark the spot where you stand on the floor. Put hmd on and mark the real world wall exactly where the controller cuts off on both sides of the horiozon. You can do the same for vertical. Then take hmd off, hold a protractor in spot hmd was and tie a string tacked to both markings on the wall back to the protractor. 5 minutes.

Hey not sure specifics on Unity Chan that was or still is in Piplay content.

With the 4k model we used it for our own(users) testing.

I think the full name is “Unity chan Rockstar”

This demo features a manga girl performing on stage. If you press Spacebar it tells you all kinds of goodies.

Render Target Resolution (Render multiplier)
Refresh Rate
X Y ?Z info & modifier if present
Post processing
Asw & atw if being used & some other goodies.

Its also a great example when a program is coded well for vr. (As it demonstrates how good even the 4k could be)

EDiT forgot also fps of course. :wink:

Download link

http://unity-chan.com/download/releaseNote.php?id=CandyRockStar&lang=en

A vid & review

I don’t know if the reviewer knew about the statistic screen. @Pumcy

Yeah Swe and Seb… Do your thing!

Wise decision @xunshu, glad you are doing closed beta, private forum and time delayed review date.

Literally laughing my ass off right now this is amazing.

Is there a difference in tracking really between 1.0 and 2.0 besides for the increased range with 2.0 and the ability to use more than 2 lighthouses in a single setup?

@xunshu
Will the headsets sent out for Beta testing have the new headstrap with removable headphones?

Gabe said the sensors because they calculate their position independently now, might show some increased performance.

I’d also like to know. The only place I’ve seen the halo strap with headphones was in the promo pictures. I’d hate to go back to the saggy strap.

Not from what @Pumcy posted. Essentially overall cheaper on both tracking sensors & lighthouses.

Lighthouse v2 has less components to fail from my understanding. The v2 can have more than 4 & should be easier to setup as the Lighthouses don’t need to see each other.

Ya I hope the new headstrap is shipped with the Headsets.

Comfort and Audio quality is something that can make or break VR and I would like to see what their progress on the headstrap is to date and how it matches up to the Vive Pro and Oculus Rift in comfort and audio quality.

All those modules, especially the headstrap looked fully developed.

I think they were dummies.

Just pieces of plastic modeled to look like the modules when they are completed.