Best GPU for Pimax 8K VR?

If you find the right sites (game debate & gpuboss are decent) they give better details then stores & such & offer gpu vs gpu.

Like @XabbuSwes said wait & see how your 1060 performs & see what cards come out around volta’s release. Gpu prices often drop to help make way for new stuff.

Apart from the psu load, I indicated that if I was buying a new video card, I’d probably prefer to wait and just get the Volta…the common sense stand point is that can also be SLI’d down the track anyway…

VOLTA should take advantage or will need PCIe 4.0
PCIe 4.0 Motherboards should arrive at the end of this year : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pcie-4.0-5.0-pci-sig-specfication,35325.html
Time is necessary for people to adopt this new gear so Q2/Q3 2018 possible for VOLTA.

It is the standard which will arrive this year. Motherboards may arrive two years later. Read the article.

Yes you’re right, I have read the french version of this article which is shorter.
Nvidia next Gen GPU could be AMPERE : https://pcgamesn.com/nvidia-ampere-gpu

And it’s limited to two per customer. For comparsion. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2877/geforce-gtx-1080-ti

Is focused around AI and scientific simulation processing, 110 Teraflops but for IA processing.
We need the next graphic cards, the “Ampere”.

I couldn’t resist have a look what arrived today just finished installing and replaces my 970 :heart_eyes:
If it performs as good as how heavy this thing is i am pretty happy because the card weighs like a ton wasn’t expecting this :scream:
My first Highend GPU in all this years never needed more power before but with the Pimax8K i thought it’s good time to upgrade a level.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6696-KR

try it when you recieve it. then you will know to upgrade or not. might even buy atx case in that time too.

and maybe nvidia volta somewhere in the future.

The Standard 8K should output 5120x2880 (Further Upscaled to 7680x4320) Total and the 8K X should output 7680x4320 Total.

That’s a serious GPU requirement.

I think it’s 3840 x 2160 each eye, so 7680 x 2160; it’s 2 x 4K, only double horizontal 4K, not double vertical.

From 1440p, that is 2560 x 1440p each eye, so 5120 x 1440 upscaled to 7680 x 2160 píxels.

But i’m concerned; I think that i have read that actually renders at 2 x 4K, not the 5120 x 1440 pixels i had expected.

How it really goes, @xunshu?

Even if it did render at 2x 4k (2x38402160) it would have to downsample to 2x25601440 (qhd). At least from my understanding. Unless maybe with brainwarp it would send 1 4k image to the bridge chip to feed a single display? But I can’t see that off hand working as if i understand that it wouldn’t reduce gpu resources imo as it would still be rendeeing a 4k ish resolution with or without brainwarp; if with brainwarp it did as above then with bw the resolution would be native 4k/eye.

But yes @xunshu would be best to clarify as our discussion is only theirectical. :v::wink::+1::sparkles:

Sorry when i say vertical lines i mean the lines that are vertical that side by side equal say 3840.

The X whike beefy req the res would ne 7680*2160 since there is only 2 panels & not 4.

The 8k & 5k input is 5120*1440.

But then it does not make sense, if it’s rendered equal to 2 x 4K real, the Pimax 8K graphic would work more than that of the Pimax 8K X, since the two would draw the same and also for the Pimax 8K it would have to reduce the image to double 2.5k; and then do an upscale back to 2 x 4K in the headset.

Why is a less powerful graphics card required for the Pimax 8K than for the Pimax 8K X, then?

Yes, @xunshu would be best to clarify this.

The 8k & 5k have the min 980/1070 where as the 8k-X says 1080 ti

The input res of 5k/8k says 2x25601440 (51201440) input resolution (which works out to 4k ish -slightly higher) then the 8k model upscales to 2x38402160 (76802160). Where as the 8k-X is native 2x38402160 (76802160).

Now with ss/render multiplier you can have the gpu render higher then downsample to input resolution.

So we don’t have to use super sampling and we can use 4K input for the Pimax 8K and double 4K input for the Pimax 8K X, as I was supposing.
Are you sure that is not nessesary to use super sampling?

Supersampling/render multiplier as with current headsets will help to improve picture quality without the need for Anti aliasing as i understand it. Rendering at a higher internal resolution then downsampling to target output resolution.

This smooths out jaggies but with less stress on the gpu then using antialiasing.

Yes, I know, but I was afraid that it would be necessary to do it at a high value.
I was reading this about rendering resolutions, different with display resolution; I just don’t understand well this point, and the answer from @bacon.

You might wanna use ss for clearer picture and aa for no jaggies (fully depends on applications)

Normally you should be completely fine with ss 1.5 and lowest possible SSAA, however many games do not offer ssaa (fallout 4 vr as example) resulting in to blurriness that ruins the picture clarity

P.s. Its possible that 8k will be very clear out of the box with base rendering multiplicator (x1), so you will only have to care about jaggies using antialiasing and maintaining high fps (at least 60-70 real fps, not reprojected)

P.p.s. Its pretty mich obvious that the best gpu is 1080ti or next gen cards, but they are and will stay over priced due to NVidia monopoly in top performance segment

After always going Amd had to go invidia 1080ti gpu for first time when got vive.need Amd to create competition …