Eye tracking module and Foveated Rendering

i wonder about that. If the quality goes past a certain point i think so. But i dont think we will be getting military grade tracking here. Sampling rate will determine how small of an area they can get away with rendering at high resolution and still keep up with eye movements. If say that size is 40 percent of the screen, then tracking one eye will encompass any difference in where other eye is focusing.

If it was say 10 percent of the screen, allowing for really aggressive gpu savings then you might need to track both, but i have no reason to believe we will be getting something sophisticated enough to do that.

Moral is, the more aggressive the foveation, the better the tracking needs to be to make that work. i would be happy with something like what is currently being done with the game raw data, but which moves with eyes.

Any idea who s building the module?

no idea, but i have to admit the company someone suggested do it further up the page looks pretty spectacular. http://www.adhawkmicrosystems.com/eye-tracking/

Can we assume that foveated rendering would make possible for the 8K, to run games at native resolution with one cable?

If they would use the same or better parts than the Tobii 4 C has, i would be in heaven.
Now i have the 4C and it works great. Not 100% perfect, but good enough for me with a 27 inch screen.

I am not sure if the bottleneck there is the chipset in the headset and thats why X has 2. For all i know its a limit of the data transfer in the cable. If the answer is either of those then it would mean no uptick in resolution, just a boost in gpu performance which is always welcome.

@ destraudo,
The new Tobii 4C has eyetracking at 120Hz over usb-2 (not usb 3 as their first eyetracker did.)
So it seems that their new eyetracking does not need more bandwidth anymore.

I was watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBfWnaEwzRI

Wouldn’t that be better if the prescription lens and the eye tracker were one module?

I think what sofian means though, is will the gpu cost saving granted by foveated rendering allow the headset to run the two 4k panels at their full scale resolution rather than upscaled 1440p. My reply concerned the viability of doing that rather than any data transfer needs for eye tracking.

Yes this is what I meant.

I asked this question like 2 weeks ago and I was told that Pimax was considering the possibility of pushing the resolution to native later, but if the headset is shipped with one cable the option is gone. Options left are FR and wireless transmission supporting 2x4K.

HTC Vive Eye Tracking Add On for € 1400 … Ouch!

Adhawk Eye Tracking is an interesting product too, seems to be much smaller.

Yeah, if Pimax manages to get AdHawk onboard with Pimax 8K, It’s going to be awesome.

@Heliosurge @matthew.xu
Is there any official news about who will be the Eye Tracking technology provider ?

Only that they mentioned i believe 2 possible candidates in the forums

They also said that they are talking to adhawk (after a suggestion from a backer)

I believe adhawk is one of the 2 while the other one is whoever they had planed to use from the start.

The existing module seems a aGlass module.
I think that I’m that backer that mentioned AdHawk here for the first time.:slight_smile:
I also wrote an article in a spanish website.

I believe you are correct. At least your post is the first I saw and it led me to YouTube. Great suggestion by the way.

Adhawk would be mad not to get onboard - this would provide them with so much traction in the market - no way would they get this kind of exposure any other way - especially as they are new and seeking to position themselves in exactly this field. Win/win for both pimax and adhawk if they pull it off.

It does sound like a good pairing for pushing the envelope.