Google's new ultra high res, wide FoV, 120 hz VR HMD

In case someone wants to read the news in Spanish.

Wonder if this is what Palmer Luckey was hinting at

Damm i want one now lol…

That’s why I said here in the forum that these delays in delivering the headset are not good for Pimax. Of
course, no one wants a problem-packed product, but Pimax has to find a way to speed up their work, develop and tweak it(8K) and deliver a good product as soon as they can.

@xunshu

Great article but rtvr did drop the ball with omitting pimax from the article. Citing only Samsung & the vive pro. Lol

The displays may be there, but the hardware will not be for another 2 years unless we are up-scaling. Ampere/Turing will not be able to drive this at native resolution (not on a single card), I don’t think people fully appreciate the bandwidth of 5500 × 3000 @ 120Hz.

I am okay with where we are at unless I magic a big 'ol pot of gold to pay for the hardware to run this monster. Google will put out a great product for sure, but they will hold back until the market is ready for it (they have already done this with Google Glass recently).

Yeah bound to happen since Sony already had 120hz display & the new Razer phone is 120hz.

Indeed current bridge chips don’t seem to be able to hit 90hz at high res (at least with cables). Be curious if wireless module might fix this.

Definitely makes for interesting AiO like Alloy or Sulon Q & such.

You want to look at what “foveated rendering is”.

Jackpot news!..

Update in Road To VR

It looks like the panels will be from LG. Will the future LG UltraGear VR use them?

Update (1:20 PM ET): More details have come to light – LG engineers will also be co-presenting with Google, possibly meaning LG will manufacture the displays. Here’s the full listing:

-Carlin Vieri, Grace Lee, Nikhil Balram Google LLC Mountain View CA US

-Sang Jung, Joon Yang, Soo Yoon, In Kang LG Display Co., Ltd. Seoul South Korea

“The world’s highest resolution (18 megapixel, 1443 ppi) OLED-on-glass display was developed. White OLED with color filter structure was used for high-density pixelization, and an n-type LTPS backplane was chosen for higher electron mobility compared to mobile phone displays. A custom high bandwidth driver IC was fabricated. Foveated driving logic for VR and AR applications was implemented.”

Good thinking, this must be what he was talking about

This also sounds like they’ve already succeeded at doing FoV rendering!

oh really ?:slight_smile: “a talk featuring Google hardware engineer Carlin Vieri will be taking place May 22nd.”
a talk dosnt usualy mean working protype…
You are hyping yourself too munch. We dont know price and what market they going to cover.

I think they’ll have a prototype. They said “the highest resolution OLED WAS developed” and “Foveated driver logic WAS implemented”. You’re right though about price and market. Could be that this thing is way out of reach for gamers.

You are still rendering the same number of pixels, your GPU may have a reduced workload, the pixel fill rate and bandwidth for transmission medium is still pushing 2.2 billion pixels per second.

edit GPUs can fill at 110x10^9 pixels per second, but the transmission medium is still a nope.

They will use some kind of compression, less res means a whole bunch of pixels interpolated as one.

Look for foveated compression/transmission.

Good to know what is coming, it seens to be amazing jump in VR… Pimax 8K has to hurry !!!

Agreed, this really puts some pressure on Pimax. Of course, like @Yata_PL noted, we still have to see if this thing is even affordable for us gamers. Exciting times though, we’ll know more in 2 months!

Curious to see how much fov it will cover… 140? 180? 200? More?
Are the panels angled?
Interface 2x hdmi3.0? 2x Dp 1.4?