HP Reverb now or wait for Pimax 8K X

review

For warranty reasons I would only buy a Pimax from Amazon. 8K X likely wont be available on Amazon until 2020

Amazon in general provides overal less hassles with buying things.

Well it has proven to be a gamble to buy one of the early devices. I bought my 5k+ from a guy who was backer 20 or something and it had the black dots issue and pimax didn’t replace those devices. So i am not sure yet. We’ll see

That’s a given with Tech being first in line often means first to have problems.

With the black dots they eventually went by a per case as the known property varied considerably more in some units. Hence why some were more vocal than others as the dot issue was known since Berlin Meetup.

You still might succeed to get a replacement if u have the nerves and gonna push for it. I undestood that they swap it on a per case base.

I think SJ’s unit has its warranty void ages ago :grin:

You have no cracks? :face_with_monocle:

If it is an known issue that was there right from the beginning and not something that happend over time, most companies (probably even Pimax) are fair and accommodating if U ask nicely in general.
It’s worth a shot but of course up to him.

Haha yeah I don’t think they’ll help me out anymore after I opened my unit :wink: But before I decided to open it up I read that Pimax was not replacing black dot HMD’s so that was also the reason to open it up.

Either way I’m not using my 5k+ anymore. Just arrived home, my new Index was waiting here for me, going to have some fun with this things this weekend!

Ho! anxiously waiting your review!

Interested to hear your review on viewing video clips regarding SDE, color and sharpness and the jump in refresh rate(if any noticeable difference) when comparing to the 5K+. Everything I have read is the upgrade in these factors is not much over the Pimaxes. I use 8K for video to battle SDE… Thanks!

hp has some major issues. i’d wait.

Concernig the refresh rate I can tell you without having tried the index that you will hardly see any difference in videos unless they were shot at a (much) higher frame rate, eg. if you have 240fps footage (usually for slow motion)
More important is for videos that fps match Hz in exact multiples. Since videos are usually 24/25/30/60 you won’t benefit from the index higher Hz modes for video.

If any benefit at all, 60fps footage may have a tiny tad more of steady brightness at 120Hz since 60hz modes of HMDs may flicker slightly and tend to appear a little brighter. And it will be easier to simply double frames 60x2 instead of making up frames and hustling 60 fps into a 90Hz rhythm.
But since most 60Hz modes work really fine I’d predict hardly little benefit.
It was reported that even for games those higher Hz modes are nothing but gimmicky.

Edit:
If you tend to use 24/25/30 footage (like most streaming sites) I really recommend SVP
It even works with Youtube. With that any lower Hz video is super smooth on 90 (or 80 8k) since it evens any vid to the desired Hz

I tried the SVP but it was really out of my wheelhouse when it came to trying to get it working with my videos. I shoot in 30fps and if I remember correctly you just double the frame rate. For some reason I was never able to get SVP working properly unfortunately. Maybe I need to go back to it again and tinker some

Well, actually, it was a broken promise. I specifically asked them during the kickstarter about that and they posted on the Q&A page that it would be full RGB stripe. Hopefully they deliver this time.

Yeah the previous launch was full of broken promises indeed. I think it was also caused by Pimax changing specs and that the people answering questions simply didn’t know what they were talking about (and the people who did know didn’t speak very well English). But I think it will be better this time, since they’ve now got @PimaxUSA who will make sure that doesn’t happen again.

With SVP U can do more than “Just” double the framerate. That’s why it is such an awesome application. Just make sure u have the full paid version which is worth every cent for many reasons.

U can either use the lightweight seperate svp player itself (drag and drop the Video) and it will match fps automaticaly to your output device refreshrate, noticably smoother than with any other player OR
you can use almost any other player (even VR-Players) to work with SVP but with a small workaround called reclock.
(reclock basically maintains the pitch of your audio when stretching frames instead of randomly assigning frames to fill the gap)
It comes with a bundle that I actually like to use but there u gonna need to tinker a bit depending on your hardware if you wanna use madvr as well. MADVR is awesome cuz it does a great job of on-the-fly up scaling, but it’s not for everybody.

So the bundle contains:

Mvp Player (still my favorite)

Madvr (upscaling to any resolution + solutions for eg. Anime, overall resulting in a much crisper picture)

Reclock (in order to bring footage in to a divide-able fps maintaining audio sync)

SVP to multiple FPS to desired HZ

Youtube Tools (convert any video to desired FPS, btw. faster than premiere)

+all Tools need to make the stuff work together.

The only software which may be closest (but still behind) to this solution is Cyberlinks Software that comes at a pricetag of 100 bucks and its VR capabilities are very limited.

Can you point me to a good tutorial to use SVP with Whirligig? I cant seem to find any of my old links. Much thanks!

The reverb resolution is 2160x2160 per eye vs 1920x2160 per eye on the 4K. The guy was probably just salty because the gap between 4K and Reverb is a bit narrow. Not too mention, the 4K doesn’t use fresnel lenses.

I am very close to buying a 4K. Lol

The effective resolution of Pimax 4K is lower then that, the 4K been a single panel VR headset vs dual panel. Panel utilization must be a least 10% lower