I am thoroughly confused!

I have been away for a while got a Kickstarter email about stuff happening. I backed the 8K switched to the 5K and have been waiting for my Kickstarter accessories.

Sold the 5K came back here to check on the KS accessories.

I see a tiered plan program that’s really confusing. A B G F? I have no idea how to choose what to receive my KS accessories and or coupons? I should have a coupon for switching to the 5K and a bunch of accessories coming. Where do I get started? This is really really confusing!

3 Likes

Do nothing and you should get the stuff you’re entitled to, save the eyetracker.

4 Likes

The only uncertain thing is how long will they take if you do nothing.
They say we have until is it end of december to decide if we want to trade our pledged items for upgrade?
But i believe they will be sending out things before that

We really could use an option to say we arent interseted in upgrade plan now so we can get our stuff as soon as it is ready.

I have 2 pledges & from what support has said, i cant even merge the things from both together into 1 upgrade plan.
Not even my downgrade voucher or paid add on acessories.

The option i was given was to chose a seperate upgrade plan for each pledge & nothing said about my paid extras as if i should buy 2x 8kx or just buy 1 & forget about using my other pledge.

After this, i have zero interest in upgrade & would just prefer my paid full package & extra items, stretch goals & to use my $100 voucher asap

3 Likes

I agree I mean I am just happy enough with my 5K+ (even without eye tracking) but I have been using it without controllers/basestations which is getting a bit boring… not to say the least that it removes a lot of the experience.

I could imagine.
There are some great experiences to be had sat down with a controller like alien isolation or elite dangerous but i couldn’t imagine not having the full 6dof so you cant lean in & out etc.
Basestations imo are high priority for a good experience

2 Likes

Leaning in and out is overrated in my opinion. I had a Pimax 4K for quite some time and just focussed on games that didn’t need 6 dof or controllers. Elite Dangerous was great, so was the high resolution for watching movies. But I did get a leap motion for hand tracking to do basic stuff when needed.

3 Likes

Fair enough.
Ive only experienced 6dof but ive had times where i like to lean around corners or phyically duck etc…
On alien isolation, its good to be able to lean in & out when the computers come up.
They are usually too close, but also its handy to get closer sometimes to read small writing

1 Like

I guess I never had issues with small writing in my Pimax 4K

2 Likes

Its not so much about that, but on games like alien isolation, the view has been set by the mod creator, at a certain distance to things like monitors or menus etc… so having the 6dof gives you the ability to move in or out which would be impossible otherwise.
Also you get a lot more immersion when you are hiding in a locker, leaning toward the vent from side to side etc to peer out or under a desk hiding & physically peeking around the corner looking to see if the alien is there

2 Likes

I am not buying another headset so will take the available stretch goals. Already have bases and wands. I have a DAS mod but will try the MAS
The eye tracking now has a price and unknown capability so don’t know if i will buy it yet, but will use the coupon if I do.
The software isn’t stirring my loins.
My face cushion is fine and have other sizes from Amazon but like the stock one.
The glasses adapter, I have not seen the final design but since it is attached to the hmd rather my face. I won’t likely use it. I want my distance vision when I lift the headset or take it off with out reaching for my glasses.
The wireless coupon I will likely use.

I will likely sell the one V2 base I ordered.

Alien is awesome on the 5K and I wish wands work better. Without 2nd gen controllers though. I will only play it on my Rift and am really just saving it for now,

2 Likes

Pimel, just wondering if you have tried a 6dof experience and or 6dof motion controllers? Not trying to be harsh in any way at all but just trying to understand it. You are possibly the type that Oculus had in mind before they introduced (touch) motion controllers (although their headset was 6dof but not 360 tracking). If you have tried these experiences then you can clearly say its “overrated” if not then you should have possibly stated “you dont understand the excitement of 6dof”. Look forward to your reply.:+1:

2 Likes

I bought a Vive for the basestations and controllers when I got my 8K and 5K+ headsets.
And I’m not saying full 6dof experiences aren’t severely superior to 3dof without controllers. I’m just saying sims where you can lean forward vs not leaning forward isn’t that big of a difference with a good resolution headset.

4 Likes

I can drive with sensory deprivation, but in a Rally car I would not want to be limited to 3dof. in real life or a sim/game. For me reposition in the car to pick the best landing attitude of a rally car is benefitted by assessing it from multiple angles in real time.
Although less important, I find I will move more than 3dof in assessing my line into a corner in F1 and GT as well.

3 Likes

Ok so you have tried these things just feel the resolution fidelity is the most important aspect for you. I can understand that. I hope you end up with an pimax X or better someday. :+1:

3 Likes

Plans A/B/C/D are all about trading in your stretch goals (and potentially other items) for credit towards a new headset. Plans E/F are for people who want Index controllers. Plan G is for people who backed the 8K-X. If you don’t see what you want there (ie using multiple coupons, etc), then you would need to make a support ticket.

More in-depth explanation in these posts:

3 Likes

Already ordered my 8KX yesterday.

And yes, fidelity is indeed what I’m after more than other aspects

4 Likes

VR is all about tricking your brain into a belief that it is real. Without 6DOF my brain can’t be tricked one tiny bit. When the world doesn’t move the way it should there is no immersion at all.

4 Likes

Is the upgrade plan over? I don’t see any backer upgrade programs listed anymore. I switched from 8k to 5k+, and I wanted to do Plan A…seems I’m too late

Certainly not. E.g. several of these plans had extra discounts when bought before end of december. Let’s wait and see…

1 Like

Yeah, there were problems with the store page. Check back in a day or two, I would hope it would be fixed by then.

1 Like