I see slight delay in motion when I turn my head very quickly (5k+)

issue

it might be a priority matter, they have done a lot of progress in past couple of month so we have to give them credit for that and believe they will fix it :slight_smile:
Now that more people are reporting it we should see some progress.

Is this 100% repeatable with other VR environment ? Steam Home has rendering problem and is quite heavy for a latency test. you should try to repeat your test in a sparser VR environment like the steam void waiting room. This would tell if this is a systemic problem (Ex USB ) or simply that past some point in computing power of your PC (CPU & GPU) more latency is introduced

Hi @Frc, I can confirm this latency in pimax 5k+ is present in every VR environment, including SteamVR Void, and even including “Pimax Home” environment with SteamVR turned off completely. Rift and Vive exhibit no such behaviour whilst plugged into exactly the same USB port, even under full CPU load (cinebench pegging 8 cores of 9700k to 100%) .

It is the same in Steam Vr home as in any other game, with our without base station and at any hertz mode or fov :slight_smile:
Please make sure you open a ticket .
Thanks

Yep. SUPEN-4487. Status is “Technical Supporting”

Now this is an interesting theory

This may also explain why for some reasons unstable and lower fps do not have an as big impact as experienced on ALL other device I tried so far. Guess it’s a trade off.
Probably if the improve SM over time they might “correct” those buffers. It’s the same with audio btw. smoother playback suffers from a tad more latency. I first thought that it may because of the strap moving along or the OCing of the panels.
I mean it’s not proven but ur theory sounds comprehensable.

It’s quite simply that for the most part, people don’t focus their eyes while moving their heads, not at least consciously.

But it could most certainly be triggering longer term discomfort regardless whether we perceive it or not

Sorry but that’s not correct.
On the contrary, I have to force to close my eyes when I rotate my head, otherwise it makes me sick.

Yes sry same here, as soon as i move my head i see that something is not right.
Now, even if not moving, when shifting up on motion rig i just feel like on a roller coaster.
-When moving fast, pictures moves then comes back in place after half a second.

• if moving slowly, i can see the picture moving up or down and getting slowly compressed at the top or bottom of the screen (in hmd).

Any news about this issue ?

Nothing, apart from @Doman.Chen talking with the engineers and promising to keep us informed. I’m very close to packing away the Pimax and bringing back the rift, as I would like to do demos. We are doing the VR industry a disservice by demoing the Pimax with this basic, fundamental immersion issue still unresolved.

If anyone is wondering why Rift and Vive have a “presence” or “locked in” feeling that is lacking on the Pimax - this rotational latency is 100% the #1 culprit.

I’ve given up again on my pimax. Rift does give me a much better experience and I can’t use my rift anymore because Ody+ spoiled me.

Pimax is a million miles from immersive and no matter how much I improve this or that aspect, there’s still zero immersion.

i have that latency only with revive, thanks to the latest pitool beta i don’t need it anymore so i’ve uninstalled it.
It’s a known problem with revive and latest steamvr since the beginning of this year.

i have no latency issues anywhere until i push the render too much and start losing a lot of frames.
use pitool for oculus games it works great here (at least)

thanks for the report @tigermaster. can you do a rotational shake test on your headset and tell us if it looks anything like the end of this video where the image moves around rather than staying solidly in place?

Pitool 1.0.1.129 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

disable motion smoothing , improved my experience a lot

Hi dillanski. By my testing, rotational latency as in the video above is still there with motion smoothing off, with quality lowest, with PP on or off, and even outside of steamvr in “Pimax Home”, using different usb controllers, and across different PCs including high-end (9700k/1080ti). I have confirmed the latency doesnt exist at all on rift and vive using exactly the same test PCs.

Keep the suggestions coming though.

Good test, but with what to compare? From my experience, all headsets have a delay. Pimax 5k has a fairly low latency and this is definitely not a problem for him (in compare with my Vive and PSVR). P.S. Just checked PSVR and there is the same latchning, if not worse. The result - without comparison with other HMD - this test is incorrect.

I immediately noticed this issue when trying my 5k+. It results in the world feeling very ‘unstable’ and ‘wobbly’, aggravated of course by the distortion problems. It’s an immersion killer.

I sometimes get the feeling that we have slightly different versions of our Pimax’s. :thinking:
My 8K in terms of delay for me does not represent any significant difference with the other helmets. (although in 8K there should be an even higher delay due to the scaler).

I have been using 8K for more than a month. Very satisfied, but I want a little higher resolution (for car simulators).
Otherwise, 8K is very good, the resolution is not felt low in most games, the delay is not felt, which is quite important for simulators. (The main thing here is not to include SmartSmoothing, despite the fact that it has been optimized now. With it, the delay is decent, that’s a fact.)