It’s time to correct the Pimax “8K” name issue

Yes, I think that’s the best name, so far.

I know what pentile is.

Now that I´m thinking about it, the situation is probably even worse - you have to remember that LCD Panels have the same amount of R G B subpixels, where OLED has 50% G, 25% R and 25% B.

It is not worse lol.
You forgot RGB has 33% 33% 33%, even if you look at percentages there is no way pentile is worse than 2/3 the res.

The reason you can’t just ignore a third of pentile pixels when compared to LCD is because a pixel in pentile is not just 2 subpixels.
A pixel in pentile can borrow subpixels from neighbouring pixels to help it do what it can’t do alone, that ( usually combined with a diamond pixel pattern ) gives it a sort of hardware anti aliasing effect.
This gives it a better image than a LCD with 2/3 the res can do.

It is worse, using algorhythms to “borrow” neigbor subpixel to correct for a lower effective resolution is not a “feature” it´s a bug which they try to fix with it, same method can be used on an LCD screen, but isn´t needed for obvios reasons.

OLEDs have 2/3 of the resolution of an LCD. - (A pixel on an OLED has 2 subpixels)
OLEDs throw away half of the red and half of blue color information they get.*
An OLED is only able to represent green pictures in it´s full resolution, where using red or blue pictures throws away half of the resolution. Thats why OLED screens have this shimmering effect with reading text, and it looks so awkward in VR, where same VR-HMDs with same resolution with an LCD look far superior.

Only people with tritanopia wouldn´t be able to distuingish an OLED from an LCD in terms of resolution.

*hardware wise, of cource you could use software to correct some problems with it, but software won´t be able to compansate for the missing subpixel so that the resolution would equal to an lcd.

also I didn´t forgot that RGB has 33% 33% 33% as this the whole base of the whole argumentation and calculation, why I divide/multiply by 3 for LCD. You seem to have forgotten that an OLED ISN´T RGB, but RGBG, which makes 50% Green 25% Red and 25% Blue. To get back to RGB you could therefore only use 25% G, 25 % B, 25% R - which is the reason you would throw 25% of the green subpixel, as they are only useful in representing green.

Just to be clear, I firmly believe that OLED panels have alot of very useful benefits which LCDs dont provide, but they lose clearly when it comes to resolution.

Don’t mistake me, I never once said that a pentile is as good as RGB at the same resolution.
I said that it is not as bad as a RGB with 2/3 the res.

And yes, if you throw away half of your green pixels it is worse, but why would you do that ( aside from emulating RGB )?

there is like a best and a worst case scenario for oled panels. So the actual resolution fluactiotes between those 2 scenarios, the best case practically won´t happen ever except in this situation:

when you use colored pictures then the green resolution is as you would expect it to be, where red and blue resolution is half of what it should be.
Take 800 pixel, where each Pixel has a color component would be expressed as 2400 (800R+800B+800G) subpixels on an LCD, but on an OLED, there would be 800 G, 400 R and 400 B which would sum up to 1600 subpixel. Which makes 2/3 of the resolution of an LCD or RGB image. (The worst case would be 1/2)

I guess I discussed this enough, and went deep enough to explain to everyone the issue. Thats why I would stop it here, and just recommend to everyone to educate themselfs on this or just to expect a lower overall resolution on an OLED.

Pimax Fovolution / pimax ResoFov / pimax space / pimax evolution

Well, another one: Pimax Frontier.

Just for the record: The OLED PlaystationVR is full RGB, as far as I know, as is my several years old phone (which I absolutely do know about, having personally inspected it with a microscope, back when I got it).

It is not OLED technology as such that leaves you with fewer blue and red subpixels, even though the various “PenTile™” subpixel patterns are indeed usually used with OLED displays, as a means to work around a few difficulties, not least of all the matter of longevity of, in particular, the blue elements (EDIT: Allows you to use larger subpixel areas driven at lower power, to spare them from burning out as quickly, without things looking too conspicuous).

that won’t hold up. Curved displays are already present on the market, so they can’t be banned. They have already been discussed in public as a possible use, so prior art already exists.

You can patent already existing things for a new/diffrent use.

For example you can´t patent things that are natural createt like honey,
but if you use honey as a medicine in a product - you can patent it.
If you find a new method for creating honey, you can patent the method, and maybe even the honey created by this method. Same applies to a lot of tech out there, USA has some of the most stupid patent rules you could imagine, so don´t be shocked if you hear stupid stuff get´s patented.

seems the company who filed the patent is known as “Oculus” or “Facebook” maybe someone heard of them

Patents need to be unique ideas. They cannot have existed before in public in any form. In other words, someone else cannot have thought of it and put it out there. Just because you file for a patent doesn’t mean you get it. And just because you get a patent does not mean that someone can’t challenge it to show it was “prior art”. The curved display is not a new idea for use in VR.

I got 100% on my patent-law exam. (hope this counts lol)

if the these two things are true:

(1) that the invention is “novel” or new, that is there is nothing like that ever existed; and
(2) that the invention is “novel” or new enough. i.e., “non-obvious”

you´ll get the patent.

In this case (1) is true, as there is no VR-HMDs with curved panels
then (2) is true as it´s complicated enough that it isn´t obvios. They didn´t just stated “curved panel for VR” but also provided enough complex designs and material definition so this can get aproved and not be provided by a normal person.

So since LG already used curve display on the g4… Then oculus is trying a fast one. Lol

best review so far, also it still fits in this thread because hey mentioned that it´s not 8k resolution

Except the idea is not “non-obvious” when there are already a dozen articles online saying that VR would benefit from curved displays. The engineering for curved displays already exists too, so what would be unique about Oculus’ version? Seems a bit flaky. Having said that the patent office seems to be quite happy to grant patents and then let people fight it out in court so who knows.

And yeah the LG G4 has a curved screen and can be used in a HMD.

Ok, I checked it, It’s about curved displays that use optic fiber taper.
Then there are like 20 claims for diffrent parts and variation of these.

The Idea is to use optical fibers to increase or decrease the surface of screen, and changing the resulting distortion/curvature of the perceptet image.

This way they don’t even have to use a curved panel, as they can curve it with optical fiber.

For example you could use the normal Pimax 4k screen and electronics, and could get the same FOV as the Pimax 8k without adding alot distortion or adding a second screen, as you can just change the end sized surface and curvature of the screen.

So it’s a special design of curved display. And we see if they’ll use it, to patent something doesnt mean to be able to make a product out of it.
And it’s not clear if they got it.

here if you want to check it yourself:

And lets not forget the curved display monitors & TVs

Every time I tell a friend that I’ve pledged for a Pimax 8K headset their jaw drops, then I have to explain to them that “It’s not really 8k, that’s just the name”. It reflects poorly on Pimax tbh.

I just thought about the time when the whole TV industry pulled the same trick when they introduced “HD TV’s” and called TV’s “HD ready” when they were 720p instead of 1080p. I knew quite a few people who fell for that nasty trick and bought a “HD ready” TV thinking it was 1080p. Back then I thought that was quite nasty. And I think the same about this Pimax name giving because it’s a FACT that several people will buy it thinking they get full 8K resolution.

I like Pimax 8k. is it technically accurate, no but it got me to look at it, and then after looking I backed it (knowing the resolution that is clearly stated EVERYWHERE) so if others are like me, they will come in to look and buy because its awesome with or without technically being an 8k panel(s)

But in the spirit of the thread… if I had to pick another it would be Pimax Expanse. Because the view is so wide, and it is built to have modular upgrades.