Long review or a short review?

Hmm why not? The new rtx cards can do variable rate shading. The eye tracking tech exist.

Yes, but it will take several years before an appreciable number of players will have RTX cards. Lots of players don’t have any add-on graphics card at all, or they don’t have an nVidia GPU. Until there’s enough of a market, most developers won’t bother to incorporate foveated rendering. Yes, the main game engines will, but even then, developers will probably have to add some code to utilize the feature, which means that many won’t bother. There are lots of games that don’t use the main game engines, like Elite Dangerous.

Until eye-tracking becomes a standard feature, there won’t be enough market penetration to make implementation of foveated rendering worthwhile for many game companies.

Like I said, I hope I’m wrong, but I think it will be many years before most games support VR and foveated rendering.

Afaik you don’t need variable rate shading to do foveated rendering.

Voted for the long one, we won’t have much reviews to tell us which version we should choose between 5K+ and 8K … so the more information we have the better.

That being said, I’ve not seen a lot of “Thanks” on that thread … I don’t know if you’re paid for this, but even if it were the case you’re putting so much energy in it that no matter the conditions we should all be thankful.

So, a big THANKS! Looking forward to see your review.

True, but you do need eye tracking and games need to actually support it.

The thing is, it takes quite a while before any technology takes off. I tried several of the first VR systems, back in the '90s and as we see, VR still hasn’t had widespread adoption. (Owned by > 30% of the population. I.e., do your parents use it?)

Sure, nobody has a crystal ball, anything could be presented tomorrow and blast the competition away. But then again, the 1st generation was released in 2016 and we have not seen so many competitors appear on the screen, have we. And the most notable ones are the WMR headsets, of which only the Samsung is a true competitor to Oculus and HTC, the rest is rather entry level VR for (in the meantime) little money.

Errr… yes. So I look at it. And now ?

How exactly do you mean that this will change the consumer VR landscape ?

This will all depend on what the Pimax sells at.

If a competitor product comes out that stomps all over your no 1 selling product then the last thing a company the size of Oculus will do is nothing for an entire year. To me it is more plausible that they will counter it quickly. Remember they have invested billions into VR so will not allow a small Chinese company to shoulder them out the way.

It looks like Pimax aim to compete with all current price tiers of VR thus creating a lot of competition for themselves.

e.g.

Pimax 5K vs Rift / Vive / WMR
Pimax 5K+ vs Rift / Vive
Pimax 8K vs Vive Pro
Pimax 8K-X vs nobody in consumer space yet.

I fear you are over-estimating the importance of Pimax, or any other competitor, with a better iteration being supplied in 2019. Oculus are busy with the big picture, and they seem to be okay to not really compete in the high-end segment for another 1-2 years. This is only a niche of the VR market, which in itself still is a niche. They probably want to bring out a Rift 2 which is polished, has some new key features the 8K will not have (as polished at least) and will run properly on the then current better but not high-end PCs - and all of that for a mass-market compatible price tag.

They will not care that much about Pimax running away with high-end customers in 2019, as we still are too few - and we will jump ship as soon as Oculus release something better, so it’s not a greater risk to loose loyalty.

i would read your book for sure, a 3 hours video however is more tricky for me to find time for but thanks a lot for your effort for this community.

@SweViver is there a chance that you could take a close shot of the panel matrix, from which we could tell the RGB configuration?

PiMax Review 10 hours [ASMR]

@SweViver
I prefer a longer review.
But it would be best if you can put timestamps in th description breaking the video into sections so we can just click to jump to a specific part of the review.

I just want some reverb audio effects whenever you say 8K. That’s it.

Honestly it is complicated but the easiest way to show the end result is to dig up a list of games that currently use nvidia vr works.

Where are you getting 1 to 2 years from? I know Oculus spoke about wanting to gain mass adoption a year back so created the 3DOF Go and 6DOF Santa Cruz to target low end market in the hopes to gain more adoption. Meanwhile Oculus Research have announced the 5 to 10 year plan and mentioned variable focus as one important goal. That still leaves the CV2 imminent.

The CV1 only has the OG Vive to compete against for 6DOF outside-in PC at the mid end but the new Pimax range will also compete in this space with the 5K. Not the 8K or 8K-X. It can do everything the CV1 can but more so I think it is relevant if they price it to compete.

I doubt Pimax have created 4 products to just compete with themselves and the Vive Pro. That would be daft as the profit is very limited at that high end.

Anyway, we will see :slight_smile: Exciting times ahead. I predict the Pimax 5K+ will shake the mid range market into action.

After a bit of Googling: Unity & Unreal support VRworks at the engine level (I assume this is what most games use). No idea on CryEngine (they reportedly support OSVR, which is not the same). And Eve Valkyrie.

Like I said its a little more complicated than that. And the end result is the very short list of games using vr works currently. For example , with unreal, to use vr works you have to go off the main branch. This means vr works functions on a special version of unreal engine. Currently that version is 4.18 , almost a year of advancement behind the current version 4.20 with .21 well into development. Which can be a big deal. Especially to an indie dev , with the vast majority of vr games coming from tiny studios or one person operations .

Perfectly explained by @destraudo !

VRWorks inlcuding things like VRSLI is a niche within a niche within a niche. A larger stdio such as Croteam have the capacity to implement e.g. VRSLI and it works great; for most smaller studios or indie devs this simply isn’t an option as they’d reduce their traget group from [users that have a VR HMD and a capable GPU] to [users that have a VR HMD and an nVidia GPU and an nVidia GPU that can use a specific set of instructions].

Adding eye-tracking to that subset makes it [users that have a VR HMD and a VR HMD that supports eye-tracking and an nVidia GPU and an nVidia GPU that can use a specific set of instructions]. This whittels down pretty fast to where it becomes economically unfeasible until the road is paved by either a larger studio that does it ‘because they can’ or until either a GPU manufacturer or a VR manufacturer subsidizes those developments, assuming the persistence of low market penetration of VR in general.

Eventually VR will be THE showcase for GPU manufacturers and therefore considerable marketing budget will be made available.

yup. fingers crossed as vr/ar picks up these things start to be put to use.

I have three tests from Sunday to Thursday, so I won’t have time for watching 6-8 hours of reviews and videos. So I hope atleast the three will make a summary video or an edited down video on Monday or Tuesday. UNLESS pimax gives enough time to choose (like 1-2 weeks before we get to choose) then it’s fine if they don’t provide a summary.

That’s the big question, how much time do we have to choose what headsets we get? Any info on this? @xunshu @Pimax-Support