New Acer WMR HMD 4,320 x 2,160 and StarVR One

opinion

and the valve index, and the cosmos … :wink:

The plot thickens!!!

please please please please PLEEEEAAAASE let there be some truth to the StarVR One rumors!!!

Hp reverb has 2, 2.3inch panels

Yeah that’s why I said pretty much a HP Reverb, since it also lacks hardware IPD. But I think Haney is right and I’d bet that this actually comes with the JDI (HP) panels and hardware IPD

Ah, I see that @benz145 also finally woke up :slight_smile:

Star VR is not even as good as the pimax. It worked with literally one demo. To charge double or triple for it would be insanity.

It terms of hardware, one could argue it most certainly is. It has OLED screens with an RGB stripe. So you get great colors/contrast, while still retaining sharpness and low SDE. Also, it has a larger field of view than the Pimax while being in a smaller form factor. Not to mention it has eye tracking built into it.

Yes StarVR one has claimed to have a FoV of 210° horizontal but like the og StarVR this has never been quantified. Now if true it has either way considerably less PPD. So while will have better contrast. Clarity is likely to be similar to OD+ as a result. It simply doesn’t have the pixel density & would need to be seen & properly tested.

Unless @mixedrealityTV was fooling us all, here is an indication (180+). :smile:

MRTV Jesus Christ Pose

I wonder how many of these announcements are influenced by Pimax starting to mass deliver.

Anyways competition is good (for customers) so indeed good sign.

Indeed.

They were sceptical at first, but then, thousands of HMD were delivered, positive reviews started to pop up everywhere.

Everyone (Valve included) must have thought “time to make haste”/rev up the foundries.

But as @benz145 & @SweViver have said it’s hard to identify differences once the FoV is high as it is with these headsets.

I did see Ben say though the Panasonic 220 Wide FoV prototype felt the most wide FoV headset & in theory it would only be an extra +5° per side compared to StarVR claim & shouldn’t have much of an impact say vs pimax at 160-170 vs starvr having +20 - +25° per side.

Plus if StarVR does have that wide of FoV it would reduce the ppd considerably.

Indeed at the very least it has caused them to step up the res considerably if even only a gen1 frame work (gen1). :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Only care about starvr one.

StarVR one is going to be for “Enterprise” $$$$ and probably not much support if has issues with SteamVR titles since the install base will be very small.

Still better than all Pimax variants

Thr StarVR is better than the Panasonic. StarVR is the closest to fully simulate full human vision. With the Pimax you can still feel aware that you have some sort of helmet on, although not as constraint as the older gen headsets

Maybe but @150 FOV resolution, SDE, Colors, black, refresh rate comes way before those extra 50-60 degres. StarVr need better panels and electronic to compete with the new crop of 2k x 2k headsets Colors are probably on the spot but resolution & SDE could be better

It already has the best displays. It’s oled rgb 90hz @ 100% Adobe rgb color.

And btw the new flock of hmd’s seem to be getting worse not better unfortunately like rift s, or others don’t even bother with “high fov (which shirt really be called normal fov, as anything lower than normal fov is low fov if you think about it) which is rediculous in my humble opinion. The star vr one price is high, but compared to xtal, it’s a bargain.

According to mrtv, he couldn’t even see sde. The device also has tons of future proof integrations including one gpu/display for per eye/gpu, whether nvidia reintroduces afr for vr by enabling the full bandwidth of nvlink on the 20 series is a different discussion though.

Why steamvr will work like any other steamvr hmd: research for enterprise. If your a game designer, you want to see how other games are in full fov and like most designers, inspiration and idea matriculation comes from other games or sources.

What is unknown is how their steamvr support works. If it runs native steamvr runtime, according to Valve devs, motion smoothing should just work.

Starvr software out of the box adapts lens distortion per user by using eye tracking, and after calibration for your individual eyes completes in the software wizard, no distortion.

Expect to get a few years of being the best hmd out of it for the price of buying one vive pro twice over two years.

It’s an enticing prospect. Especially as someone like me, who uses virtual desktops a whole lot, and distortions in these square windows are most obvious,

I’m forever grateful for pimax, and it’s created this INCREDIBLE product that is actually affordable for people without selling valuables lol

Indeed though clarity will be a sacrifice with the vive pro like res spread over wide fov. Like Avegant’s Glyph at 720p giving a 4k like picture.

But yes StarVR One does have some interesting pluses & at least unlike intel’s x86 gpu isn’t fading into obscurity. But why has StarVR pulled an HTC? Like when HTC reduced their mp camera (1/2 it) for their Zoe camera.

The ppd loss is substanial. Curious would be to see how (if possible) they would get sharpness. I would bet the contrast & gamut are initial wow factors but how long would the romance last? (I really want to experience it for myself with FoV measuring tools)