New Acer WMR HMD 4,320 x 2,160 and StarVR One

opinion

So their ojo 500 seems like its just for arcades/enterprise?
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/acerdesign-ojo-500

also found this:

“ConceptD OJO and StarVR One provide the most immersive and efficient tool for animators and game developers.”

ConceptD OJO

• 4,320 x 2,160 Display
  • Detachable & Swappable Design
  • Easy Pupil Distance Adjustment
  • Patented Sound Pipe

The ConceptD OJO Windows Mixed Reality Headset features a 4,320 x 2,160 display, detachable and swappable head strap design, easy inter-pupil distance adjustment, and a classic white finish. It has a patented built-in sound pipe technology, and software-assisted interpupillary distance (IPD) adjustment technology that lets the wearer modify the gap between the eye’s pupil and the display distance for sharper, clearer images and a more enjoyable experience.

The headset’s unique detachable design makes it easy to clean and share among multiple users (family and friends, or in a business environment). The head strap provides a snug yet comfortable fit to keep the headset firmly in place. The ConceptD OJO’s integrated audio system focuses sound on the ears, eliminating the need for headphones, and the patented IPD technology ensures the display is set at the optimal distance from the wearer’s eyes. It’s easy to set up with inside-out tracking and 6 degrees of freedom positional tracking.

Believe it or not isamu about 5 months back I want to say I was able to click through the buy page and actually send an email. But I did not have the funds for the headset at the time. So whether or not that changes is hard to say. Last time the people have talked to StarVR folks this was going to be for sale to anyone who wanted it/could afford it. However the form from memory would not allow you to proceed unless you had a company name and was coming from the domain with your company name in it, so really you had to have at least a registered name/domain.

“Patented IPD technology” :joy::joy::joy::joy: from that I can say their “patented sound pipe” will also be nothing special, like the rift s or something…

I need to warn these guys on Twitter that if they don’t say a release date for either headset, people won’t wait and will directly buy the Reverb once that’s out next week lol

That’s exactly how it is. If I’d know that the Ojo would come out within a month, I’d just skip the Reverb. But the total lack of communication from Acer makes me suspect that they’re not that close to releasing it.

Well I got this in the DM’s

So most ppl with “normal IPD” will buy the Reverb instead of the OJO

Thank you for sharing that mpop10

agreed no way, unless its pimax style starvr style. in which case. Damn!

won’t be buying a new HMD in 2019 or 2020 for that matter unless this 8k breaks down on me.

Next Hmd must be for example 6000x6000 pixels each eye and 120fps hahaa

and under 1000€ :smiley:
because i’m poor and can’t afford expensive toys every year or 6months

You’re ignoring one simple detail…there’s still no such graphic card power to drive an hmd with the specs you mentioned , and none is expected anytime soon :smiley:

Except perhaps if some company comes out with a way to use SLI in VR…

DING DING DING!!! :sunglasses:

But I’m very skeptical it will happen…

It will happen, because it will happen. Thats the way it goes UP UP UP.
And i’m eying towards 2021 anyways, plenty of time to launch a new 3d card by that time or new technology or software to make it possible. I’m happy with the toy i got for now so.

And btw its not the hardware they need to improve…it are the games that need improvement…just saying.

Its like having a 8k tv and watching some fck 1080p on it haha.

Someone need to scale…and not only in terms of resolution but also gameplay wise…we all know horror is 10/10 in VR…now where are the other genres…

LOL…maybe…if that was the case, we would have ended up having the StarVR One , or a cheaper Xtal by now , or maybe even way more advanced tech around the entire VR…unfortunately this is not what happens with technology every time…if ever… :slight_smile:

StarVR had two indipendent video inputs for each panel, but sadly…no one followed this aspect until now.

that has to do with t hat company tbh…nothing with t he tech itself, maybe they just don’t have the money to make the claims to come true…

I remembering hearing about StarVR at the same time around pimax 8k…

still they have nothing on their hands to sell??? lol

and you think pimax is slow?? :smiley:

the star vr one was ready, just to expansive and the plans to rollout to arcades seem not to work out (maybe they concentrated to much on imax and with there retreat they lost most of the predicted money?)
maybe they forgot to build up a customer base and “retailing”" a 3000-5000€ HMD is not that easy, customers in areas like architecture or automotive are more interested in resolution not so much in FOV
good in tech and dev but bad in business decisions - you need both to be successful
not sure if acer is able to bring the star vr one into gamer’s price regions, maybe they build up ties in business areas and that’s the reason they seem not interested in talking to consumers for now

I don’t think so. Demoing to few people applications which you know work (Pimax did the same after all) is one thing.

Releasing to public with all different configurations (HW and physical) who will then try to run all kind of applications/accessories is completely different scenario and I don’t think StarVR was at that stage (and with Pimax we see how long it can take).

Read up on @VoodooDE & @mixedrealityTV if memnserves they were able to load up a variety of Steam xp beyond demos.

the hardware was finished, the software was at least in a state to demo and they were ready to deliver to developers (announcement and price tag)
the version before the star vr one was used in arcades for more than a year (i used one of this units summer 2018)
i think i also seen something on reddit that a few developers got units just before all was canceled - but that might be just a rumor, never seen anything that was tested in the open but dev’s would have to sign a NDA to get one so even if some dev’s have units they would need to stay silent

edit: my guess is as good a yours, there are no hard facts beside the reviews people wrote after testing the units under controlled conditions (but at least for a while), it looked much more solid and professional to me then pimax before the kickstarter (and star breeze has a long history when it comes to wide fov headsets)

so what happens to the people who backed that Star VR one Hmd…?
They still waiting or is it cancelled?