New HP 4K HMD $599

Got mail from HP where they write I will get my replace unit end of Juli.
On the HP store it is in stock for delivery in 48 hour.
The weird explanation to this is that you actually deal with not just 1 but 2 companies that dont even communicate with each other.
HP sales and HP tecnical support(third part company)
After several calls between these two parts it ended up with final return of the headset.
In the end they have sent me a headset that broke down after two days and I have to spend hours of my time on this. This is not how it should work.

1 Like

In which HP store is available?
I hope that they will send you a device without problems …

@Skoczek so do I , Sweden 10 units in stock today

Just been comparing 5K+ to reverb in X-Plane
I have a 1080ti
Pimax 5k+ with (small fov)smoothing enabled is great and I can adjust super sampling/ performance to my hearts content
Reverb has only got the two possibilities which are located in the Mixed Reality Portal / settings Hmd
and are " best 4320 x 2160 resolution" or " Automatic upscaling for best performance " there is no other way to adjust the super sampling as far as I can see , the steam vr or in game ss is bypassed .

I get a nice smooth flight with no judder etc from the Reverb with Automatic upscaling enabled and it looks good but not that much better than the 5K+
I get better image flying in the Reverb when it’s set to 4320 x 2160 but a noticeable judder from the controllers at times ,
Does anyone know where to hack the WMR resolution/supersampling ??
most reviews seem to think the steam ss does something lol

4 Likes

On my O+:

\Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings

default.vrsettings

1 Like

Well after deciding to keep the reverb I played a longish session with it and got a strobe/flashing effect in the right display , great !!
and after another half an hour the flashing has stopped ??

2 Likes

Try to cool it with a ventilator after the flashing appears. Flashing can occur due to overheating.

2 Likes

Didn’t help , just need to leave it a while

1 Like

Interesting it seems that overheating is only a part of the problem…

1 Like

Hmm doesn’t sound too good. I was at my parents but they don’t have a dp connector in their pc so can’t try it. The only thing I could try is the comfort. Which I liked a lot actually, fits my head very well with almost no light leakage, what a difference with the odyssey+.
I think I will just keep it and take it with me to my home in 2 weeks. If I have troubles like everybody else, so be it.

2 Likes

So after the display starting dimming, you left it on your desk for a while without shutting off mixed reality portal and without shutting off the headset? And then after leaving it for a while and then trying again…it worked? How long did you leave it for

99% of all the people who bought the Reverb are experiencing the same problems in less than a week use, some even within a couple of hours, the panels are just badly engineered and get faulty because of the high temperatures, plus the connector on the back is just a total joke.

This headset was clearly engineered in a rush and not tested well enough, send it back guys, then wait for a replacement rev. 2 , HP is already working on it.

2 Likes

Half an hour maybe , The display was flickering , I think there is something gets too warm , as it must have cooled down maybe a static displayed image creates less heat in the suspect chip/lcd
some ventilation holes would possibly cure the issue , it feels as though there is a heat sink at the top in the middle , just not enough cooling possibly or a faulty component
I’m returning my headset

1 Like

I hope they do the mark 2 right , the high res it very nice indeed

> HP will refund. No replacement available as they have no date for ‘new’ stock! Mmmmmmm… I think this says it all!

1 Like

I also got reply from HP saying that devices will be available at the beginning of September…

2 Likes

September? haha :smile: By that time the new Samsung headsets will be available

3 Likes

I doubt Samsung will bring out higher resolution…

1 Like

I doubt Samsung will bring some bigger FOV headset, anytime soon, too… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I’m finally home, with my HP Reverb :slight_smile: At first glance the unit seems to work fine, so far I haven’t noticed anything weird. However as I expected this HMD is NOT suitable for people with big IPD (mine is somewhere 68.5-69). It’s blurry for me. However when I close one eye and get everything sharp in the other eye, I can clearly see what Sebas is talking about, simply WOW … It makes me kind of angry that Valve, HTC and everybody is releasing lower res panel HMD’s, because THIS is what we want. SDE is mostly a thing of the past with this resolution. I can see it but have to try even much harder than with the pimax 4k. It’s not an issue at all anymore for me with this resolution. I’d say it’s on par with the Odyssey+ (but of course the Reverb is MUCH sharper). It’s really really nice to see everything so clearly (well with one eye, LOL)

I did find the FoV a bit disappointing though, seems lower than my Odyssey+. Anyway I think I’ll try to open up the HMD this weekend and see if it’s possible to move the screens apart.

9 Likes