New Pitool 1.0.1.144 is available now from Pimax

pimax-official

This is unfortunate news. Setting it to +10 really improves my 3D effect and lower values get progressively worse (+10 is noticeably better than +9 for me).

Pishell.exe no longer workng for brightness now? I really needed this for my vision @Sean.Huang
Now when I try to enter 25L 25R it says invalid command. Help?

Yes I always used both eyes the same. Anything other than 0 renders more pixels. I was trying to work out why I could render a flat 72hz in one session of Raceroom and then the next session I couldn’t get anything above 60. I thought it might have been something running in the background hurting fps. So I checked the res as I am always compelled to do now and sure enough the vertical pixels were nearly the same as the horizontal. Was 2400 approx at 0 and 2900 with it at + / - 10.

Interesting, I could understand the extra pixels if both eyes had different values, but not the same. If it’s the same I thought you just needed to shift the rendering position.

Could someone please explain to me what the vertical offset really does and why it should be beneficial for 3D depth perception and eyestrain?

Exactly my thinking, I’m from Tridef 3D with 3D glasses and I know what to do in depth. My eyes are still reasonably healthy and the vertical offset is not noticeable to me.

edit:
Although I see a curvature of the image down / up at +/-,
but has nothing to do with depth.

Same here, vertical offset not noticeable for me.
From -10 to +10 nothing a part from 10 per cent hit n Steam Vr.
Leaving on 0 for now.

PimaxUSA explained it has something to do with Eyetracking Module. As for depth improvement? At a guess mayve helps align eyes to image for better convergence.

By observation, the vertical offset simply moves the HMD image up or down.

Why is that necessary? I’m not entirely sure, but +10 is MUCH better than 0 for me, in my right eye. +5.5 is best for my left eye. To me, that indicates that this setting allows you to adjust the headset for asymmetrical face shapes. The +10 might be due to the fact that I have my 8K tilted slightly upwards, to relieve pressure on my nose.

Caution: After playing for an hour with +5.5 and +10 (which looked great), it took over an hour for the real world to become “un-skewed” after I exited VR. Last night I played for ~30 min with +9 and +10 and suffered no such problems.

I see. Based on this, my explanation for the various experiences is that people have a different tilt angle (compared to vertical) wearing the HMD on their faces and the horizontal plane might then move up or down, which the vertical offset might compensate - to a degree, as I believe a rotational transformation would be needed to really offset it (tilting is rotation, vertical offset is translation).

Here is an attempt to explain what I mean:

That sounds right. It’s what I was thinking too, but better stated and with an illustration, no less. :+1:

It’s noting that due to the Pimax headset’s canted panel design, these tweaky little settings are necessary for a good experience, whereas conventional HMDs don’t need that level customization. Of course, other HMDs have also been seriously modded, such as the conventional lens mod for the Vive.

I should mention that I was previously happy with the default vertical offsets (0,0). I was honestly surprised that I was able to further improve the image.

So adding some padding to the top as well as the bottom, in order to relieve that pressure without tilting the headset (and therefore not needing the offset), would leave you too far from the lenses, behind their sweet spots on the Z axis?

(I have kind of the opposite problem to your’s, with a prominent brow forcing me to tilt large-lens headsets down, to “hinge” the lenses inward beneath it, or I end up waaay too far away from them. -Works fairly well optically: Losing some top FOV, which would have been occluded by my brow anyway; Gaining some at the bottom, where I’ll be walking and interacting, and need to see; And moving the focal point, with the best clarity, down a bit, to just above where my hands will be when operating stuff in the world – A neat hefty plus to the minus. The big problem is that then you have all those titles that use HMD facing direction for stuff (so far without eye tracking on top… :/), such as UI highlighting (lots of that in Elite - I expect with your upward pitch you have found yourself having to “peer up over the rims of your glasses”, at objects in space, to select them), movement direction in quite a few titles (looking forwards, when in water in such games, makes me swim down - have to really tilt my head back to get back up to the surface again :P), NPCs detecting your looking at them, etc)

3D depth and eye strain are probably improved by this since our eyes aren’t always symmetrical.
This setting allows us to adjust where the image is centered for each eye vertically. So, the image in vr may look different from your real view if your right eye is higher or lower than your left eye, even by a little bit. This may also apply to people who are wearing the headset at a different angle than normal. This setting lets people correct that. Setting this automatically with the eye tracking will likely solve a huge amount of eye strain and 3D depth issues.

I just noticed that i dont have to have Pitool running to use it in steam, have it allways been like that?

Yes. There is a Pimax “service” running, which controls the headset. PiTool is just the UI for it and is not required. I always run PiTool, to verify my settings are as expected. (In the past, sometimes the settings got reset.)

same here revive is unusable for me, we need direct support from pitool back revive is a lag mess

Great find!!! would you mind to share a list (if you have it) of games that doesn’t need parallel projecion anymore with this trick ?

EDIT: let me understand, you said no need for pp because oculus version doesn’t need pp compared to steamvr version or you mean that the same oculus version doesn’t need pp if launched that way but needed pp when launched in oculus mode from pitool?

Yes, I still can not play games Oculus
So I stopped running them for now :japanese_goblin:

I hope Pimax will fix it soon, so that everything works as before when you run Oculus games through Pitool.

I’ve been using my Vive again for the last couple of weeks. Now it’s my Pimax that is gathering dust. To be honest, Vive’s ease of use was something I took for granted. Couldn’t care less about the narrow FOV since every game I play, apart from Vader Immortal, runs butter smooth. Plus I don’t need to unplug my base stations since they go to sleep once you exit VR and wake up on their own when you want to use them. Convenient.

Well, at the moment I chose the Pimax as my best headset :gift:

Soon my Vive sticks will come to me from ebay, and I will finally fully test all the games with a wide FOV, especially survival mode in Arizona.
After all, I’m already so used to the wide FOV that I’d hardly want to use headsets with standard FOV :roll_eyes:

Now I just want to improve the resolution, because I miss him, especially in the autosims.
My hopes in this regard are placed on 8K X or on the updated 8K.

For the rest, I’m happy with my 8K :sunglasses: