New Pitool 1.0.1.144 is available now from Pimax

pimax-official

Good point. Pimax will likely need to work out using steamvr input profiles. Or incorperating their own version. (In case of Index likely better to have it acs Steamvr input profiles for ease of use).

Especially if Valve designed Index to store profiles on controller like steamcontroller.

Okay Folks I haven’t had a lot of testing on new Pitool but have had an interesting crash.

R7 2700x (Stock)
16g ddr4 3200 corsair
Zotac 1080 ti mini (stock) new game ready driver

Pitool
Render x1.0
FoV Normal
Vertical Offset -0.5 (works alright)
PP On

SteamVR Auto

Game RedOut 30m played exited game ok. Back to SteamVR Home. Summoned Steamvr Dashboard Big Picture Mode. Was exploring store when SteamVR Crashed. Error said Display shutdown. Possible GPU overheat? Had to exit steamvr & kill pi server. To restore headset.

Anyone else experience something similar? Need to do more testing. But also may need to reinstall 129/132. If so will be first time a possible bug has encouraged me to downgrade. But in fairness 3 things updated pitool, Nvidia & non beta steam.

I would guess that’s your problem. Mine doesn’t have reliable tracking unless it’s a very long way from the base station. My base station is approx 7 meters away and I’ve never had a problem since moving it there.

I have a basestation less than a meter in front of me for seated gaming and I only experience initial tracking issues when I have just started PiTool.

Once it’s tracked it just works (after doing the Pimax Moves™).

I’m thinking some of the headsets might have a few defect sensors or bad calibration or something like that.

Not totally sure, but it seems better in .144 than in previous versions so it might be driver side.

I’ve never had the issue with the Vive.

:clap: :clap:

Big thanks for the game-specific setting persistence, color controls, and the vertical offset tweaks!

Definitely saving me time and head-ache trying to remember what settings worked for what… and I love being able to dial-up the green contrast for example, in a forest game, etc.

Good stuff.

OMG!! :man_dancing: Space will be dark again :wink:

Could it be due to how the sensors are based on the headset and relative LH position?

From the image of the headset protective cover (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3428759) it seems there are only 2 sensors in the front, 2 on the bottom, 4 on the top and most of sensors are on the far sides (9 and 9).

Vive has 8 front sensors.

Yes, that might very well be the reason.

It might also be because the headset isn’t tracked before all sensors have “checked in” / been recognized just once initially? If the latter is the case, I guess it can be tweaked in software/firmware.

This and it can also be a case that a minimum number of sensors has to be “checked in” relative to Vive/Index that both have more sensors in the front.

If this is the case then mounting LH (only slightly) to the side of headset can improve tracking.

Hmmm… That has not been my experience. So far, .111 was best at initiating tracking, .132 was a bit worse, and .144 is definitely worse than that.

Perhaps my problem is some sort of USB hardware issue: I sometimes see a “your keyboard was not found” message when I boot my PC, but my keyboard is fully functional. That too, had gotten less frequent, but is now happening occasionally. I should note that I haven’t changed any of the cables or plugs around.

One thing I’ve learned with sim racing is that USB is absolutely horrible in a lot of cases where there are many devices attached. Try messing about with the ports and see how it affects the devices giving you grief.

I tested out the smoothing tonight briefly in .144 and can say that in Raceroom at least it felt pretty smooth, I think improved over the previous builds. However, I realised that Raceroom also gives low GPU usage, same as rFactor 2 and ACC. So, I think what I meant when I said I don’t get the issues in other titles, on rFactor 2, was that I don’t get the issue in Assetto Corsa. It’s my most driven sim and I sort of forget how the other ones react. Really looking forward to a fix. As usual the trick worked BUT with Raceroom as soon as you go back to the game it goes back down to 70%. You don’t even need a menu to trigger it back to normal, just going from virtual desktop back to the game triggers it.

There must be different levels that each game works at.

I had issues with getting the headset recognized for days. In the end it turned out to be solved by moving my displayport extension cable to the other displayport (which was occupied by my monitor). Switching those two around did the trick.

Where you using an extension cable? When I used what that wasn’t up to the task it suddenly became a lot harder to detect the headset.

I was and still am, but the weird thing is it worked perfectly for months, then started acting up until I switched to the other port. I thought the cable was done but it works fine after changing the port. Maybe it just wasn’t perfectly snug in the port.

Just noticed that when clicking Diagnose (if the headset isn’t connected):

There are “Reboot HMD” and “Restart Service” options?

Aren’t those new?

I’ve wondered (and others have too) why they were placed in HMD tab before as that’s not available when the headset doesn’t connect, but I’m pretty sure they were added in .144 (yes, I could go back and check but I just installed my new 2080 Ti, the sons asleep and it’s friday, so I’d rather not right now)… :wink:

OMG guys, the screen vertical offset setting is absolutely amazing. I didn’t even realise something was wrong until I fiddled with it. The original IPD offset let me make everything seem 3D up close, but with this I finally calibrated it so my brain is like - right, this is how we see the real world, almost exactly. Suddenly there is incredible vertical depth and scale. I’m yanked into the world. I can see huge mountains and cliffs towering over me in Skyrim exactly as I would in real life.

I had to adjust it quite far, down to -7 on both eyes.

The sense of presence is absolutely mind blowing!

Thank you so much for including all these settings.

Imteresting. Definitely going to need a test image/enviroment to utilizs this setting.

As we currenyly have

• -7/-7
  • -0.5/-0.5
  • +2.0/+2.0

I might need to refine it a bit more. Am a bit giddy with it tonight. -5 looked good too. -10 and everything looms almost too much like it’s bending one axis of the game world a bit too far. The environment is massive. It is also very possible it could be tweaked further game by game.

But yeah, I hope in the future there will be some kind of algorithm and eye tracking that can help everyone get the best Horizontal and Vertical settings. Getting it right can make such a large difference.

Discovery of an interest.

Bought EverSpace to try after @drowhunter reported on pimax was a jittery unplayable mess.

Haven’t tried Vive Mode.

Steamvr Auto Vid

Pitool 144
Render x1.0 FoV Normal
PP On (don’t know if needed)

In Game Epic & Low Jittery unplayable cpu & gpu spikes all over place.

On Steam Desktop noticed could Launch in SteamVR or Oculus Headset mode.

Launched in Oculus Mode

• Game breifly tested in Low (need to try epic)
  • No changes to Pitool

Result nice; but may need to set windows to headset audio. Also on Launch will complain wrong headset (ignore)

So if you can launch in Oculus Headset mode in steam may see gains. @Schadows had said ran good on oculus headset.

I also like the software options of tweaking these settings, but I feel that the eye tracking module could/should do all this for us. Pimax claims there is no content/need to get the eye tracking modules out, how about: user comfort/ease of use. Could we get an optional L/R lock on this setting?

The process to do so is becoming more and more complex, and I feel like most would say ‘good enough’.