New Pitool 1.0.1.197 (beta) is available now

Then it does indeed sound like it’s just a bug. Don’t quite understand how they missed it though? :grin:

1 Like

I really wish they made it possible to opt-in to beta versions like Steam(VR) and actually sent out updates regularly (notifications on PiTool).

I’ve never seen the “Check for updates” work, even for stable versions.

1 Like

if firmware upgraded to support 120hz iv’e observed when trying previous Pitool 120hz is possible if It was selected and saved before downgrading to older pitool. Brightness is up to normal but my panels flicker as Hell and as well on the new pitool version, but is not as apparent due to the lower brightness.

2 Likes

exactly my observations too

1 Like

What pitool version ? Using 196? Or 197 official release?

use DFU tool to rollback firmware in Pimax folder @scud68 @mmorselli

2 Likes

Thanks, but I can’t change firmware every time I change game :smiley: I’ll try to find another solution for Beat Saber + Vive Trackers, if any

1 Like

Well I just installed the new pitool from the link above, and windows defender popped up telling me that AppData\Local\Temp\is-1EH3J.tmp\pvr_oc_support_setup.exe contains Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml right after it was installed

1 Like

Same for me. I only tested it on Fallout 4 VR. I’m wondering if the problem is that they’re not updating with Parallel Projection in mind?

I rolled back to 144 and also had to roll back the firmware. 144 is fairly old now. I’m surprised that they haven’t come out with something that I can use since then.

2 Likes

Strange, just played Skyrim VR in 120 Large Mode - runs fine (even though the 2080TI just manages a 60 FPS most of the time), in some cases it jups up to 120hz and FPS (seen in FPS VR).

Its darker, but in skyrim it actually imho it lets the game look better, more contrast and actually colors look more differentiated - but its just my old mans tast i guess.

1 Like

I did reinstall Pitool 144 after 197 and the unit wasnt able to open at first but suddently it worked after a couple try and everything came back to normal as before except that with the new firmware everytime I power on the heaset, my VR N CHILL cooling fans start automatically.

1 Like

Shame. I’m sorry to hear that. I was really hoping they had fixed the stuttering.

It works on large FOV too on mine. You have to start the 120HZ mode with the small FOV at first and you go larger step by step after that.

2 Likes

Me too. It should be a priority. Especially as they have fixed this same bug in the past and they have clear examples of which software versions are and are not causing it ie. They know what causes it.

Same story for me with Assetto Corsa. Pitool 144 for the win! Unfortunately.

1 Like

and same here. I didn’t notice in FO4, and it was minimal in beatsaber and thrill of the fight. Booted up asgards wrath after getting oculus tray tool working again and it was hell. Super frustrating because the new features rule. Oh well

120 hz reminds me of the 3d shutter glasses I played with on 120hz crt monitors years ago., feels similar to h3d

Thanks. I seem to have it working now too. Biggest problem was that the refresh rate kept defauling back to 120 which was causing display issues for me. Once I managed to change the default to 72hz, my games to be staying at there pre-programmed refresh rates.
I hope that they fix the stuttering issue soon so I can benefit from the full update!

1 Like

It must be a conflict with something specific. I have run .180 for ages with no problems at all. Running V .197 now I still have absolutely no problems.

I believe you when you say yours stutters, but It is definitely not a universal problem and therefore is likely to relate to some specific conflict between the pitool versions and either some specific third party software or driver which not all of us have, so don’t suffer from the stuttering problem.

I use my 5k+ all the time for dirt rally, dr2, RF2 and AC. I’ve not had stutter in any of them so long as I can maintain the appropriate frame rate. Dr2 has a known bug which causes stutter, but it’s unrelated to VR and can be fixed via the method presented in the DR2 settings thread I created on this forum a while back.

Sorry. I edited this a bit. I misread your post at first. I was a bit too aggresive!

Just wanted to say it is a known problem that has been reintroduced, and removed, In several Pitools going back a long time. It is introduced whenever they try to increase the graphics card utilisation, and is removed when they go on the opposite direction. The current iteration of the bug is better than the one in a previous pitool version, but still present. It affects a significant subset of users, but not all, and has done for some time. I spend a lot of time fielding queries in the pitool threads offering the solution (revert to 144) to people who pop up with this problem.

You are defo right it only affects certain users, but there are so many different PC configurations out there.

My suspicion is it is something to do with over graphics card utilisation, leaving no room for vertical synchronisation as they try to hit the card as hard as they can, and that this only effects certain gfx card configurations because they will be performing differently/within different limits. In my testing the problem can be temporarily eliminated in less demanding situations. When the frame hangs it is a single frame held static for a second or two and is very jarring.

I don’t think Pimax want to deal with it because they get it in the ear when people can see they aren’t using a high % of their graphics cards, and they get it in the ear for this. They’ve tried to find the middle ground, but because people have different systems, sometimes it’s going one way, and sometimes the other.

2 Likes