New Starvr Wide FOV Consumer Headset Coming Soon

that’s clearly just cgi lol. But goddamn them for making it for business only :rage:

They will work with steamvr V2.0 so it’s probably just the price that is enterprise only

If it gets good reviews, I’d pay 2-3K for it. I can’t imagine going much past there though.

It looks promising. I hope they price it so they get the enthusiast dollars as well as the business dollars.

I’m here in Vancouver at Siggraph and I have a StarVR appointment for tomorrow - however there are several headsets floating around the exhibition hall and I was able to try one today. It felt very light and comfortable on the head and I could not make out any screen door effect (although I am going to do a helicopter sim tomorrow and am hoping to get a better idea of it’s capability). It was also my first look at a wide viewing angle, and I was very impressed.

I can say it looks great. I did have a chance to compare it with the Vive Pro, and if the option to buy this HMD was available, I would love to grab it, or get my hands on the Pimax (I missed the kickstarter by about three hours after deciding to take the jump) , so if StarVR drops the ball and does not release this product to the general public, I do hope that Pimax is its equal (if not significantly better)

The headset comes with two cables to plug it into two DisplayPorts - NVidia had a session that mentioned this could utilize SLI by plugging into ports on two separate cards or you can plug both into the same card and it saves overhead with higher resolution HMDs.giving more time to the GPU to render the frames. As I’ve seen it so far, we were using Vive Wands for the controller.

I am really excited for this next generation of technology - the RTX 2080 getting announced next week (according to the leaks - nothing from the people at the booth today) with the Ray Tracing, AI, and increase in rendering ability, along with the new, higher resolution HMDs. It would not surprise me to see a full slate of Gen 2 VR coming in the next year - even if it means some tempered expectations and again, some high prices for early adopters.

Compared to the Vive pro how would you rate the SDE? Does it look like the RGB strip arrangement makes a big difference? Also how was the sweet spot? any distortions round the edges? Cheers

As Yata_PL pointed out already this cannot be the true view - if it was, it would be an HMD for a horse, not a human. :joy:
Humans have large overlap in their left/right eye view while this is showing the left and right part of a single picture, so the left eye would see nothing the right eye can see and vice versa. So also no stereoscopic view…

A bit stupid to photoshop their product picture like this…

check if they’re using steam games

i would say having completely different images on the lenses maximises the sense of a wide field of view. having the reality of the stereo overlap would be less impressive, and they like most marketers value ‘impact’ over reality.

Would love to hear more in depth how it compares to the Vive Pro, especially in terms of resolution/SDE, that’s my main concern with this HMD. Thanks!!

i want to know the price…maybe i sell my pimax 8K

better “sell your kidney” …
should be enough for these HMD and some commercial apps
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If this turns out to be good I’ll get one! IF its no more than 3k that is .

It look new starvr has more narrow shape.

I am thinking that if pimax don’t use whole display to show the image, why we not use the smaller display and can decrease the size of headset, so we can avoid the hit between controller and headset.

I don’t think pimax will not increase more fov later because the fov relate to the lenses.
But I understand that this is not time to change the design because the headset almost finished.

Haha! That is funny lol , but very true

I have pledged for both the pimax 8k and the pimax 8k x , plus some accessories.
The total price came for me to almost 2000 dollars and to get a star vr, probably it is needed 3 times more than that amount of money I have invested in the developing from pimax of the 8k and 8k x.

Also , people.that want to get and use a star vr, will probably need a more powerful pc and video card that needed to run a pimax.

It is because of the distance between two objects that our eyes can perceive as one thing.
This can be noticed when we look directly through the lens.
Starvr is different from pimax8k, but I think starvr one may be the same.

So Day 2 at Siggraph and trying a few different demos and applications using the StarVR headset.

At the Intel booth, I was able to watch a VR rendered movie (http://constructfilm.com/) where you could move about 1 square meter to change your perspective of the action. It was quite interesting and the people developing the software said they were only able to render to about 80% of the StarVR resolution due to getting the updated SDK only last week. Here I did notice the SDE as I was looking for it. It did still look very good, although not as nice as my first look yesterday. If I were to make a comparison, I would say it had the difference between looking at Valve’s The Lab and then looking at The Gallery: Episode One. The Lab uses a lack of detail to make the SDE less apparent while the more detail seems to make the SDE more apparent.

Then I moved on to my demo at StarVR. I watched a helicopter move out on to a runway, then was able to get in as it was flying over the mountains. The visuals were good, but not great. The reason I picked this is my current passion is playing Elite Dangerous, and I wanted to see what I could of the details in the cockpit. I was hoping StarVR would have made it look as good as it could, and when I went to look at the details of the control panels in the cockpit, I could not read any of the text, or get a clear image of the cockpit. In this I was most personally disappointed. In all honesty, either this demo was somewhat rushed and not demonstrating what this headset is fully capable of (which I could understand if the latest SDK only came out the week previous)

Finally there was a demo where I was inside an office where I could adjust the settings for the furniture and lighting - really, not much here to write, although again, I wasn’t all that impressed by wheat they were showing me.

The other demos that I dd not do, one was a game where you were like King Kong and then one where you were able to custom design a car to you wanted. The car one was the most computer intensive one from what I understood, and I did not get much information on the game.

To answer the questions as best I can, I think the SDE as compared to the Vive Pro was similar, however, the tobii eye tracking that is built in to the StarVR will make all the difference as developers and hardware will be able to use it to render more detail where your eye is looking instead of rendering the full image at the same resolution. On top of that, you have the wide FOV instead of the binocular effect of the Vive Pro. This was my first time trying the Vive Pro as well, and if I were able to get one or the other I would certainly go with the StarVR in terms of comfort, FOV, and the eye tracking. I think the StarVR is a winner and I think it really is the first 2nd generation headset on the market although I think it will be surpassed by the Pimax (at least I hope it will) and whatever 2nd generation offerings we will see from HTC and Oculus.

I didn’t notice “distortions” out at the edge, but I didn’t really look for them any more than I would notice them in my natural peripheral vision. The wide FOV enables you to use your peripheral vision to draw your attention to that point and then that is in the center of where you are looking as you turn to look. But to know they are rendering the images out to that wide FOV means your hardware is working harder to render these images than for the Vive Pro

If you have a Pimax pledge - I don’t think I would let it go in order to try to get the StarVR (although I would gladly purchase one if someone reading this is looking to sell it). I have not been able to try even a demo of the Pimax from when it was making the rounds, but I think it will be equal if not better for a home user experience from what I have seen thus far and part of that will be it will be optimized for home users while the StarVR is targeting a different clientele and might not get the SDK attention for gamers. The StarVR has a larger FOV but a lower resolution than the 8K, as the StarVR will probably be on par with the Pimax 5K with a larger FOV.

I don’t think I would want to run either the StarVR or the Pimax 8K with less than a 1080ti, and I am most likely going to either grab a second hand 1080ti or try to get an RTX 2080 as soon as I can. The biggest plus for the StarVR headset here is that it is designed to use SLI to have one card render each eye having two display port cables. This is probably something business software will use more than game developers. I learned yesterday why VR developers are not using multiple GPUs and now don’t see why they would unless they had multiple connections.

In the demo, the StarVR was using two sets of software - SteamVR and StarVR’s own software. I am sorry, I did not have access to internet in the conference hall to be able to see the question to ask if they are able to play Steam games, although I was using the wands and SteamVR was running flawlessly. If I get back to the conference tomorrow I will ask, although as I was asking questions about the hardware needed to run the headset to its maximum abilities - the questions I was asking seemed to be getting deflected. If I were to make a guess, I would suggest they are in a similar position to Pimax right now - a working headset is there, but the needs are for software development and tweaking before this headset is fully customer ready. On the other hand, seeing the StarVR headset all over the exhibition hall running different applications and tools tells me they are right there.

Overall, it has been a good experience trying the different headsets. I loved what I have seen at Siggraph, particularly that VR was everywhere. Any of the articles or videos I have seen suggesting VR is dying could not be more wrong. The development tools, the companies focusing on VR and the talk all around the room tells me people are very excited about it. We are on the verge of the 2nd generation of HMDs and I think the industry is being pushed at the hardware level. The demands VR is putting on systems is going to force the next generations of hardware to continue to push the envelope much the way it did in the days of Wing Commander. Laugh whenever someone questions if VR is going to really take off, it already has and we are all trying to play catch up!

I look forward to if SweViver gets a chance to try and compare the StarVR headset to the Pimax (I know Sebastian Ang says he will have a chance to try the StarVR headset in a couple weeks). Although, I really appreciate Martin’s enthusiasm for the Pimax. If you read this, I am encouraged by what you say about Pimax wanting to get the HMD right before it comes out. If that means waiting, I will be patient. Mind you, I would rather see Pimax still in the game by getting their headset to the consumer/enthusiast market sooner and pushing the industry forward as I am not sure HTC or Oculus would not rather slow down and improve generations with small improvements to sell more units in the way Apple does. If the StarVR and Pimax headsets set a standard, HTC and Oculus are going to have to at least match it or risk losing market share.

Awrsome review\impression. If they are running steam; see if they are willing to run Real or Virtual’s FoV program. If’s free & available in steam.

@oscar_rov @Cdaked @SweViver. Would one of yous have a link handy? :japanese_ogre:

Unfortunately, I have the feeling they are showing what they want you to see and won’t be running anything that isn’t approved/licensed (I had that conversation at HP’s booth when looking at some of their hardware - including a workstation that had 4 of the new nVidia Quadro RTX cards doing some real time rendering.) And the other booths that were running demos on the StarVR HMD were all partnered with StarVR in one form or another

One other mention - as it might point towards the price of the StarVR HMD - I was at the Tobii booth, and they had a HTC Vive with Tobii installed - person I spoke to said it was a $10k headset. Probably because it was a custom built unit, but maybe the built in Tobii eye tracking will significantly increase the price.