New Starvr Wide FOV Consumer Headset Coming Soon

Indeed & I am certain they might not want bench mark/testing softwsre ran…:beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

Shouldn’t as Tobii eye tracker was out long ago to use without headset but can’t recall price.

Thanks for your review @StestRokit much appreciated. Yes, we really need some in depth reviews of both the Pimax 8k and the StarVR. Also without a price point this could be pretty pointless, if they’re going to ask 10k usd for it I’m sure no consumer will buy it. Hopefully they’ll come up with a price soon.

Wasn’t the idea of the pimax 8k x about using 1 card for each eye panel ?

If that so, the pimax 8k x would be 1 step closer to the star vr , compared to the 8k , though we are wrongly comparing a consumer headset (the pimax 8k or 8k x) to a commercial headset (star vr).

The price difference, should draw the difference between the headsets, at least on the paper

Keep in mind pimax is targeting both consumer & commercial market space.

Yes. Sure
U are right. So ppl should only compare the pimax commercial edition with the star vr .
Hopefully the 8k x will be something closer to both commercial version

I just cant believe they combined eye tracking with such low resolution panels. The Pimax 5k supposedly works fine on last years cards with no foveated rendering at all?? How the hell is this device going to be future proof for the next two years.

If the 8K X can run native with dual cables on 2 x 1080ti’s then I think Pimax has a real chance to be ahead

Indeed makes you wonder why so much resolution drop. The Eye tracking though is a grear idea fir Auto Ipd adjustments for things like VRcades & so forth. They also decreased the physical size of the panels. The price of course will be interesting to see.

But if you consider they have taken a few ques frim pimax. Modular tracking, steam tracking as default & added option of single input or dual.

But of course this gives pimax an opportunity to one up them on the 8k-X as it’s not complete.

Mate. Dual inputs. That’s the one thing that would make the 8k amazing. DP 1 connection to use the scaler and a switch/ second bypass for dual cards. An all in one headset

Dreams are free :slight_smile:

Well if you saw @sjefdeklerk post awhile back Analogix has a new bridge chip that if mem serves will have a scaler built in. Just be a matter of seeing if it could swap from 1 bridgechip to dual?

However with the new vr connector might be moot.

Though a good question for @xunshu ; does thr pimax sdk have Vrwerks & liquidvr built in like StarVR has for VRwerks?

(Might just be s gimmic though as Unreal & Unity i beleive already support these Gpu VR lib/sdk.)

Dual cards will be the solution for 8k X

True but if they can swing the 2 or 1 input. Will only increase it’s overall value. 8k or 8k-X option.

Off topic why wouldn’t pimax want to use 100% of the displays ?

I’m guessing that without custom sized panels it isn’t that trivial to make lenses that use the whole panel.

That & as you pointed out with mechanical ipd only moving lenses; you’d need to reserve some of the panel to have software adjust image to prevent seeing black?

Latest article from roadtovr.com claims starvr says they won’t shy away from selling the headset to individuals…
Also includes a hands on review for those interested.

Just read it, Ben surely gets me excited here! He touts it as the best of the 3 and says that StarVR is selling to consumers too.

Nothing like good old competition. We’ll be the ones to benefit either way. I’m just happy the vr market is being pushed in this direction by multiple companies. The competition will speed up R&D for sure.

Totally agreed. I’m sure all companies will watch the HMD with the best lenses, figure out how they did it and copy/improve the idea.

There was an Acer presentation at IFA Berlin where StarVR got shown.
Actually i wasn’t aware of how closely StarVR is bound to Acer until today.

The thing is that they clearly laid out the StarVR is going to be their Enterprise Ecosystem product, while for consumers their focus was on the new MR device OJO 500 with its typical limitations.

So i doesn’t look like StarVR will be available in a reasonable price range any time soon, nor can one expect a full support effort on consumer platforms.