[Pimax 11th Mar Updated]Suggestions for Pimax

pimax-official

Sounds like that may be more of an issue with Steam than with Pimax. SteamVR is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

True, but if they know that steam can crash when loading with the pimax, and it never crashed for me when I used the vive, then it’s an issue that is somewhat caused by the pimax. The last issue is self-admittedly unknown for now, but the main issue is the red sub-pixel problem, because that makes the normally barely noticed SDE to stand out incredibly plainly.

Suggestion: Better name for 8K X: 8K Epic, or 8K Pro.

Or 8k Ebin xD gamers edition

Now that “Sansar” is a released game on steam, I thought now would be an appropriate time to mention the fact that it still does not work properly with the Pimax. This is partially the sansar dev’s fault for being stubborn but I thought I may as well tell the Pimax devs so they are aware if a steam game doesn’t work well with their headset.

So firstly, with the pimax headset on and the game launched, it will seem to show nothing inside the VR headset, and when you pull up steamVR desktop mode, the headset will suddenly render one large frame in the background and the game will act like it’s in VR mode, but exiting the desktop viewer in SteamVR will cause the game to go back into desktop mode. Needless to say this is weird.

Secondly, while it is possible to get the game to flip modes forcibly (using f9 for those interested), the game will not track the positions of your hands and show them to other players, to all other players you will look like you are in desktop mode. This is due to the fact that the sansar devs rely on a proximity sensor input telling them that the headset is on. For wahtever reason, the Pimax headset does not read this to sansar correctly, and if sansar does not read a headset is on, it doesn’t want to show your movements to other people. (This was made to avoid seeing avatars bend over backwards when people take off their headsets, but again they are just stubborn lazy devs with it, as I’ve tried submitting a bug report to sansar for this.)

Hopefully this is a simple issue for pimax to fix like “oh we had this value backwards” or something like that. Thank you again for your continued development and improvements with this futuristic headset.

@Dallas.Hao @Matthew.Xu also please if you are reading this, I would just like to quickly point you towards my other post in here (hotlink: Suggestions for Pimax ) about the pattern of black subpixels being a major limiter of immersion right now. Thank you again for your time, and have a nice day.

Seems like Pimax “just” need to fake the proximity sensors data with that of their own gyro-based solution. Logically that is… :wink:

I have no idea if it’s that easy, but hopefully SteamVR just expects an “on/off” signal.

Obduction 1.8.0: Promising Update (PP no longer needed)
Obduction 1.8.0: Promising Update (PP no longer needed)

@Sean.Huang Please pay attention to this matter.

because Pimax has technical issues with SurveyMonkey, maybe you can Use GOOGLE forms…
https://docs.google.com/forms/u/0/

like this form https://goo.gl/forms/odz5zKCCTL7Y3s363

@Matthew.Xu @Dallas.Hao

Hi,

just to make a sugestion for the onlinee shop.
At the moment there is only ability to order complete hardware.

Please, allow in the shop to order consumable/hygenic parts.
Like:

• face cussion
  • headstrap
  • prescription VR-frame

I hope this is the right place for it
regards

@Matthew.Xu @Dallas.Hao @xunshu @Sean.Huang @Doman.Chen @Alan.sun

For Pimax’s assistance, here are a list of problems and their proposed solutions compiled from reading different threads across the forums for assistance in improving the quality of the overall experience and quality of future backer and future consumer models.

Problem:
Dull colours on the Pimax 5k+ and 8k.

Solution:
Colour, contrast, saturation, brightness control, adjustable by pressing a combination of buttons on the headset, and in pitool.

Problem:
Janky configuration each time opening a game adjusting settings. (No Plug’N"Play functionality.)

Solution:
Saving pitool game config settings (FOV, Parallel projection, Brainwarp etc), as in a profile manager for settings for each game in pitool.

Problem:
Not clear enough image on the 8k.

Solution:
Sharpening filter akin to the setting in vorpx to improve sharpness on the 8k, or change input signal to 1080p on the 8k to upscale to 4k in the right ratio, as 1440p does not upscale to 4k in a 1:1 ratio.

Problem:
Edge peripheral distiortion too high/Large FOV unuseable.

Solution #1:
Better distortion correction profile to make large fov mode useable,and make objects stretch less in peripheral edges of the screens on each eye.

Solution #2:
Sweet spot in the headset rendered to move along with the focal point of the eye (*Maybe achievable using nvidia multi-view rendering or other turing software architechture seen in their whitepapers https://devblogs.nvidia.com/turing-variable-rate-shading-vrworks/ ](https://devblogs.nvidia.com/turing-variable-rate-shading-vrworks/ ))

Problem:
Distortion in general/bad HMD seating/hard to find sweet spot.

Solution #1:
Increasing face cushion length to 15mm-20mm decreases distortion - At least two types of face cushion foam (a smaller and a larger, 13mm and 15mm) and deluxe audio strap included with future consumer models.

Solution #2
A face cushion with a tilt to reduce distortion as one user modded in this thread https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/i-get-rid-of-all-issues-with-only-one-simple-mod/12978 , or a tilt in the DAS at the top vertical placement of the HMD.

Problem:
SDE on the 5k+ and 8k

Solution:
An optional Anti-SDE screen layer protector, such as the Tech21 iphone screen protector for future 5k+ and 8k consumer models to further reduce SDE, similar to what is offered by Samsung Oddesey+, offering backers the opportunity to send in backer HMDs to be modified and fitted with Anti-SDE technology the same as future consumer models may have.

Problem:
Black dots on the 5k+ making SDE appear worse than normal.

Solution:
Possible firmware update solution, or requesting the 5k+ screen manufacturer to fabricate screens custom made to remove the digitizer layer if it be the source of the black dots.

Problem:
Bad performance on mid grade GPUs below the GTX 1080ti.

Solution:
45HZ/60HZ Brainwarp to 90hz/120hz.

Problem:
Unergonomic controller design.

Solution:
Offer a controller design without the tracking ring which wraps around the wrists, to avoid them colliding with each other when hands are close together, an improved prototype design with a tracking ring similar to valve knuckles tracking ring.

Problem:
HMD plastic housing cracking after delivery, or at delivery, causing light bleed.

Solution:
Sticky tape temporary solution otherwise RMA for replacement.
Assume its caused either by internal force, pressure from its shape or inadequate quality plastic.
(i) Better delivery packaging; and,
(ii) Either alter assembly or HMD plastic housing moulds slightly to allow more space between fittings to reduce the amount of pressure/tension,
(ii) improve the quality of the plastic housing,
(iii) use a silicone/rubber gasket in between the joints to prevent stress forming cracks in future models,
And offering backers the opportunity to send HMDs back to receive upgraded plastic/rubber gaskets if they receive a fault or if they want it, if Pimax decides to use them instead of upgrading plastic.

Problem:
Latency issue with tracking HMD on the 8k / 8k “wobble”.

Solution:
If anyone has a suggestion, suggest it in this thread, the issue is provided in this post for Pimax’s reference.

Problem:
“The world” moving with you when moving head in both 5k+ and 8k.

Solution:
Incorrect firmware: Contact Pimax support for firmware update.https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/anyone-having-moving-world-or-finnicky-tracking-issues-using-basestations-please-read-here-for-info/12557/11

Problem:
(User related) HMD not being picked up by Pitool

Solution:
Try a different USB port which can provide adequate power, or delete all associated Pitool folders in C: and /appdata/ and reinstall the latest stable version of Pitool.

Problem:
Stuck pixel/white pixel/dead pixels

Solution:
Better packaging (thick bubble wrap in between the boxes), better QA before shipment,
RMA for replacement if this fix doesnt work
http://www.jscreenfix.com/fix.html

Problem:
Screen flickering / light bleed from backlight/ dots appearing on screen/ differing screen brightnesses/ lcd tear

Solution:
Better packaging (thick bubble wrap in between both boxes), better QA before shipment.
RMA for replacement,

This poll seems to indicate the dead/stuck pixel issue only affects the 5k+ and is not an issue which affects the majority of owners.
https://forum.pimaxvr.com/t/detailed-poll-for-owners-dead-pixels-8k-5k-black-dots-5k/11960

I made a more detailed poll for the community with respect to the experience backers have had with quality, more input from backers would be useful.

Poll: Multiple choice polls to survey backers experience of quality Pimax 8K

This post is to provide backers and pimax with useful statistical information in relation to backers experiences with the quality of experience backers have had with several issues. Did your first headset have any dead pixels? Yes, one dead pixel. Yes, 2-3 dead pixels. More than 4 dead pixels. No dead pixels. 0 voters Did your RMA replacement headset have any dead pixels? Yes, one dead pixel. Yes, 2-3 dead pixels. More than 4 dead pixels. No dead pixels on my replacement head…

Pimax confimed in another thread where a backer compared two HMDS they received, that parts for plastic housing used in construction may be different, but that hardware is the same, in response to the backer raising the fact the HMD straps on two models he received were different.

@Matthew.Xu, as plastic housing may be different and an anti-sde layer isnt hardware, I suggested that the plastic housing be improved / moulds be changed to allow for more space / rubber gasket be added in between the plastic housing to reduce crack causing tension, and an anti-sde solution be added to design of future backer and consumer release models.
to remove SDE entirely as advertised in the KS campaign, whilst giving backers who want it the opportunity to send the HMD back in to upgrade plastic housing and add anti-sde solution if they want it.

Alternatively, if Pimax decides to sell a HMD with an anti-sde solution to consumers as a different model, backers should still be given the opportunity to receive an upgrade by sending their HMD in for upgrade if they want it.

New proposed naming conventions for new models with anti-sde layer technology:
8K Pro - 5K+ Pro - 8KX Pro (Models with anti-sde layer)
5K BE Pro - 8K BE Pro (Business models with anti-sde layer)
or
8K - 5K+ - 8K+ (TBR) (Standard models - Renaming unreleased 8KX to 8K+)
5K BE - 8K BE - (Business models)

8K X - 5K+ X - 8K+ X (Models with anti-sde layer, X is added)
5K BE X - 8K BE X (Business models with anti-sde layer)

If there’s anything else I’ve missed, post it in the comments and I’ll add it to the list, I didn’t include any ghosting issues as they are reported to be solved on the 8k and the 5k BE and they don’t occur on the 5k+

Poll: Plea to pimax to make some much needed changes
Poll: Plea to pimax to make some much needed changes
[Pimax Official]Special gift for backers! Thanks for all of you guys

Great post :+1: 20 20

I’ve the 8K and it looks great. But there is one bad thing missing. I need / want a PnP DisplayDriver, so i can do more with the Pimax. Just a clean display driver would make me (and probably others too) very happy. It would make the 8K more usable.

Pimax needs to make the information more transparent.

We want to know exactly.

Total headset quantity produced by January 25.
5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

Total quantity of headset shipped to the overseas warehouse by January 25.
5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

Total headset quantity delivered to backers by January 25.
5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

1. Amount of headset issued but not delivered.
    5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

We want to know exactly.

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

Amount of headset issued tracking number but not delivered.
5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

We want to know exactly.

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

Amount of headset issued tracking number but not delivered…
5k+ / 5kbe / 8k+

Thanks for your advice

I will check this post every day for collecting suggestions from our backers

I am planing to creat a topic,release the suggestion we consider to add to our future product after seriously discussion and meeting.

We really want our backers to show us your imagination.We will discuss your suggestion seriously.

I think Pimax should aim for a high-quality user experience.

Your headset has a wider FOV than any other consumer product, but it also needs a high-priced PC and GPU to drive it to it’s full potential. That means many of your customers are moderately price-insensitive and would be willing to pay a bit more for a better experience. To capitalize on this, imo you should include the deluxe audio strap and at least 2 different thickness of face-pad, in your “standard” package. You should also really consider including eye-tracking and the prescription lens adapter, to maximize usefulness and to offer a fully-capable VR package. It’s OK if you want to have an “economy” version, but you should be emphasizing the top-end product.

The other thing you need to do is strive to only ship “perfect” headsets, because the high-end market expects high-quality products. You can charge a premium, but only if your brand has a good reputation and I think that should be your goal.

transparency is a must if you want happy customers and a good reputation
next deal with issues as soon as they arise instead of passing them from person to person avoiding resolution
finally you all work so hard we know this but reply to all as soon as possible to avoid upset and stop rumours

Please consider dropping your middleware and use the SteamVR/OpenVR API directly.

Your middleware currently makes it impossible to:

• Use Knuckles natively (they map to Vive wands)
  • Have proper Tracker support

and makes it quite difficult to:

• Swap between headsets easily (requires re-pairing of controllers any time you swap between Vive and Pimax, otherwise tracking is very subpar)
  • Support future hardware/mix drivers easily
  • Support future SteamVR native features

There is no reason for you to use middleware-- and if the reason is because SteamVR is not supporting the features you’re pushing, you should be contacting Valve about this, not pushing buggy middleware on users. The software setup of PiTools was probably the most frustrating and disappointing experience I’ve had with any software… basically ever.

On top of that, the default face foam is exceedingly uncomfortable. Please reconsider the material you’re using. You should also consider using a different thickness.

The headstrap you’re shipping by default is somehow worse than the default Vive strap. My head simply is too large for your headstrap. I cannot get my eyes into the sweet spot vertically with your headstrap due to the sizing. I am forced to wait on your “deluxe” alternative or 3D print adapters to use my own Vive DAS.

Light leak through the nose is a very large problem and there is no insert to help deal with it a la Vive.

@tupper Fully agree with the software side of your suggestions, and considering that Valve is soon to release it’s new wider FOV headset, I bet they already have the SteamVR part already adapted for >120 degrees VR headsets.

Another way could be to transfer the development of the driver side to a dedicated team in the US with high experience sw engineers, and close communication to Valve, Nvidia, AMD and MS.

China, except very few exceptions, simply lack the required sw expertise to work with things like that, in my opinion…