[Pimax 11th Mar Updated]Suggestions for Pimax

pimax-official

8k. 3 days ago :slight_smile: I know, many ppl dont have distortion problems, but some ppl have some, and some ppl (like me) have very strong edge distorion (they start from 60 degree and more to edges of horizontal FOV (if use standart 14mm foam), Up and down edges also distorted (but not very much). When i replace foam to 22mm one, its start looking much better, and distortions acceptable (they start almost at edges 140+ degrees and not very strong).

if pimax calculate lens profiles for each distance (with 1mm step), user can just switch profiles until have no distortion at all. Will be cool. I hope they can make this. Its must be not very hard to do.
I think distances is around from -10mm to +10mm from current profile :slight_smile: In my case i place lens 8mm farther from eyes to stop distortion.

btw, when i wear HMD with default 14mm foam my eyelashes touch the lens a little. I think it’s too close :smiley:

PS: if these distances will be too hard for profiles, +5 -5mm will be not bad too. So if u change foam u can finalize picture.

@Doman.Chen @Dallas.Hao @Sean.Huang

Sounds like some good info. I have added some pimax team members to your post. Distortions seem to vary from one user to another. Some find thinner foam works while others thicker that have trouble. A recent update in 121b introduced ipd off set that some find help.

In the banner topic the link Pitool downloads has some helpful links. Rec Table of content & ipd labelled links.

This is because with this FOV, everything becomes extremely sensitive to the distance to the lens. And a set of profiles can solve most of this problem.

Agreed though even with Gen1 distance affects perceived FoV & other things. Doc-ok has some good papers on this as well.

Once the Eye tracking module is released we may see automated Distortion corrections with it. Pimax haa been considering this option as these special purpose lense can be more sensitive as you have said with Hi FoV.

Interestly (Aug 2018 for this post) was originally mentioned prior to StarVR mentioning using Eye tracking for dynamic correction; demonstrating both teams on parallel logic.

Eye tracking-based correction profile good for the business version of the helmet, which dresses a lot of different people, and it is very inconvenient to adjust it every time. For personal use, a set of fixed profiles should work quite well.
problems of asymmetry may remain, but this is rare, and has not as strong variations as the depth of the eyes and the shape of the skull.

Suggestion to Pimax, forget the “normal version” and sell only the new rugged version.

My suggestion and very very important for horror and space games:

Allow true blacks on XR using a option. You are even marketing it with “Darker than Black”.

My suggestion would be to improve the initial PiTool setup. If you look at the initial setup for the Vive and the Rift, you see that they have a comprehensive step-by-step setup for the headset and tracking. While that is the preferred long-term goal, a good short term goal would be to prompt the user when PiTool is first installed:

“Do you want to opt-in to the latest beta version of PiTool?”
“Do you currently have basestations set up?”
“Reminder: Make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date.”