Pimax 31/05/2018 update: M1 units have left the building

For someone like me, who is playing flight sims, option to not turn your head that much that is currently needed to “check your six”, or just keep bandit in sight - is priceless! So, huge FOV would help a LOT.

Yes? What FOV covers are quite self-explanatory. And I have made it quite clear that I’m talking about the peripheral vison.

Thats exactly the thing, it has alot of PRACTICAL use, awareness in action intensive games for one.

Where did they say that, I must have missed that? Pimax always indicated that another version after M1 might be needed, depending on the results of the test.

It’s not difficult; it’s time consuming. There’s a serious reduction of framerate when it’s enabled, so it’s skipped.

“TimeWarp has an option for enabling Chromatic Aberration Correction.
On a 1920x1080 Adreno 330 running at full speed, this increases the TimeWarp execution time from 2.0 ms to 3.1 ms per vsync. This is a large enough performance cost that it is not the default behavior, but applications may enable it if desired.”

That’s a 50% framerate hit. I couldn’t find a source for PC graphics, but I remember reading about it previously and it’s a similar reduction. Basically, I think the app needs to enable the setting and no one wants their game to run poorly, so it’s disabled.

Source: https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/mobilesdk/0.5/concepts/mobile-timewarp-overview/

Hehe indeed. Display week was a bummer. Sure they showed some nice panel tech, that will be ready next year the soonest, but the Google/LG project turned out to be nothing more than some theoretic ideas, very far from being ready for release, and Oculus didn’t even have a working prototype neither. Besides that, the shown display panels didn’t seem very feasible for wide FoV HMD’s because of the small form factors.

That’s why I wrote the upper quote in a previous post, you should pay more attention in reading what is written, instead of keep returning to the same point :smiley:

My point is another and can be simplified in this:

• 200 or 180 FOV in the end, apart from the black edges at the end of the P.V. has little importance, except for achieving full immersion, that yes…would be great…BUT:

• In my opinion, and knowing a little optical physics, 200 degree FOV is VERY difficult to obrtain with current optical lens technology we have, without adding some distortion, chromatic offset and imprecise focus at the edges.

• The more you have to scretch the render window on the two panels, and add software optical correction to match the lens, the more likely you will get an unnatural or slightly distorted image of the world view at the farther edges.

I doubt all of these could be fully avoided in the final headset version, even Sweviver said in his test at VRDays (if I remember correctly) that the view was slightly unfocused at the edges, this is normal and to be expected, Pimax has probably obtained an improvement with the new lenses but they will hardly remove it completely.

But in the end it is a very marginal problem to mind for…and, if I have to choose from distortions/blurry-edges versus a little less wide FOV, then I would choose the latter.

Mirroring & Distortion Effect at Periphery of V5 Lens
New Starvr Wide FOV Consumer Headset Coming Soon

PIMAX dose not need testers opinion (they have their stuff)
They are very confident !!
They maybe buying some time around ( tasters alarmed about some issues already )that can be fix later on !!
So the hall story about tasters is buying time and satisfy backers !!!
I could be all wrong …I WISH SO

don’t you know already?

Negativity sells, positive doesn’t…watch the news what do you see???

That means a 1.1ms delay on mobile platforms?
Seems to me not very demanding and must be much faster on PC.
Should be no problem to at least let the user decide if he wants it on or off…

I recal xunshu stating that in one of her late updates where she unfolds the timeline a couple of weeks ago.
She also states there that Pimax sends the m1 to the selected testers if they are certain that the m1 is ready for mass production.
I am now to lazy to search for that update, but I will do later. I could be wrong, too. Memory does trick us many times :joy:

http://www.wkow.com/story/38219325/first-preproduction-units-of-the-pimax-8k-vr-headset-to-ship-to-testers-in-may

[quote=“mr.uu, post:181, topic:6241, full:true”]That means a 1.1ms delay on mobile platforms?
Seems to me not very demanding and must be much faster on PC.
Should be no problem to at least let the user decide if he wants it on or off…[/quote]
My understanding was that there’s a similar hit on the PC ~50%, so fps of 60 vs. 90. Given how vocal the forum has been regarding 80 Hz vs. 90, you can understand why there might not be an option, especially if it triggers motion sickness.

Don’t get me wrong. I think the chromatic aberration is awful, but a lower framerate is probably worse. I too would like to see an option.

I would assume that the scene rendering is done once as if there is no chroma correction. Just the pre-warp transformation is run in three passes for each of RGB colors separately. How much time does it take however I have no idea, but 50% more looks a bit too pessimistic.

Scratches head, most of this is not really relevant though. Bar the first article which actually references the fact that they did send out the units on time in an update , all these articles were done mid month ish and do not reference that the units shipped on time/ have not been updated to talk about the progress and the shipped units. And one of the links is to a forum post which is really not what i mean when i say vr site, ditto for r vive or r steam vr. I mean the vr press community.

I cant see the wkow article in my region though so maybe that one is good.

Have they actually sent the HMD`s out yet ?

That may be. It likely depends on the fill-rate of you video card. All I remember from the other article was that it was “significant”.

Supposedly they did so last wednesday. So the first tester might have received his unit by now. It seems none of the testers is even allowed to confirm his though, it seems they can’t post anything related to the 8k AT ALL. Most likely it’s because they can’t reveal yet who they are, it seems Pimax wants to keep that a secret for some reason. Probably because they don’t want forum posters harassing them with thousands of questions :slight_smile:

Or they don’t want anyone to intercept the package.

I mean, we still could harass testers when they will be reveal :stuck_out_tongue:

(Or not !)

I think as soon as someone plug’s it and try to use it they’ll know where it is :wink:

Do you have something like a tracking number, at least? I’m not asking for it.