Pimax 5K+ P1229 landed 6 days ago - review

pitool
review
issue

Preorder P1229

Ordered October 27, 2018
Received on March 11, 2019

Opinion after 6 days of use.

Previous goggles: Pimax 4K, Samsung Odyssey Plus.

The carton is well protected, not creased. Goggles without external damage. Although the housing looks very delicate. The plastic is of poor quality and quite thin. Thanks to this, the goggles are not heavy - but they do not seem to be a solid construction. Lenses not scratched.

Installation.
I installed the .109 PiTool version. After connecting the goggles, an update started immediately, which lasted a while and everything went quickly and efficiently.
No problems. Of course Windows 10 updated, Nvidia drivers also the latest. Antivirus disabled.

The first impression is actually a highly visible SDE, especially compared to Pimax 4K and Odyssey +. The colors are a bit washed out but acceptable (although compared to Odyssey Plus it’s a big difference - but you know OLED vs. LED). FOV is really big. The image’s clearness is impressive, but unfortunately, SDE can see it so clearly.

Comfort.
From the very beginning it seems to me that the goggles are too close to my eyes. If you take them slightly away, the picture seems even more accurate. It would have been useful to have a thicker facepad. The ears hurt from the stripes but after a few days it is less noticeable.

Tests:
I use the goggles mainly for flying on the DCS simulator. I installed beta version .111 and tested various settings. At the moment the best configuration for me is:

Smart Smoothing on
FFR on (conservative)
FOV Large - the blur effect on the edges is too much seen at normal, and the performance is similar to
FOV Large and FFR enabled for FOV Normal with FFR disabled.
Refresh Rate 90Hz - smart smoothing works better then at 72Hz.
Render quality 1.0
Steam VR SS 100%
in game PD 1.0
Resolution for one eye 4267x2633

To be honest, Brainwarp still needs a lot of work. You can see it in DCS. When performing acrobatics by plane the picture splits, vibrates and it is the biggest defect of the Pimax 5K + at the moment for me. FPSVR shows the frame generation time at the level of 15ms so it has a good supply of up to 45FPS but unfortunately turning the plane and looking through the wing, the picture vibrates and splits. With the configuration of i7 8700K 4.8GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM and SSD M2 I would like to be able to enjoy a smooth image. Fortunately, it will be possible to improve the software - I hope. I am asking You programmers to check the operation of Brainwarp on the DCS simulator - if it is going smoothly - everything else will work for sure :wink:

Tracking:
For tracking, I use one HTC Vive station - it works without any problems, I just need to find the optimal place because I noticed that while sitting motionless, the image vibrates a bit. I must probably install it closer to the side and higher to look at me from a corner from above.

Issue:
Unfortunately, it was not without problems, on a dark background I noticed a blinking white pixels - I know it is the fault of a faulty cable. You can see them only on a dark background and not always - there is no tragedy. Another disadvantage I found was one dead pixel on the right screen. I noticed him on a flight in DCS when I was looking for a tanker in the sky. It is literally one and it does not bother me so much - but … In the equipment of such a class it should not take place :frowning:
Problems reported for support (SUPEN-2817).

Despite everything, I’m happy. I noticed that with every next day more and more convinces to Pimax 5K+ and I’m getting used to SDE. Is it possible to get a thicker Pimax facepad?

I would like to thank the whole Pimax team for the wonderful work and wish you further successes in the growing VR technology market.

You said the image clearness is impressive. Can you comparr it to the pimax 4k and the odyssey plus? Can you rank all 3 of them based on image clearness?

Pimax 4K had a very high PPI which translated into a very accurate image. Unfortunately, he had very poor colors and a fairly dark picture. The field of view was small too - in fact it’s about 75 degrees. Odyssey Plus has super colors and no effect of SDE. The picture seems to be very clean and colorful - but because of the anti SDE it lacks clarity and sharpness. It does not lack Pimax 5K + but unfortunately the size of the panels and a much larger area of ​​view translates into a larger SDE. You can see it exactly the same way you can see the details of the graphics.

Image clearness:

1. Pimax 4K (almost no noticeable SDE and very high PPI).
  2. Pimax 5K + (quite visible SDE).
  3. Odyssey Plus (no SDE but the picture is heavily softened).

Thanks for the review! Now i wish you also had the 8k so i could compare the image clearness with the 4k

I had the 4k and have the 8k now, the clarity is about the same with the right supersample settings and combinations!, its very important to get the clarity on the 8k. I understand now why people often found it blurry at demoos. If you not do the ss setting combinations right per game, the clarity is not there.
If you have more questions let me know.

So you think 8k clearness is better than the 5k+?

no, the 5k is a bit sharper but the 8k has higher res panels, so finer sde. If your sensitive to it i would suggest the 8k.if you want the most clarity 5k+

what i dont understand is if the 8k is high res then why is 5k sharper?

Its because of the way the pixels are arranged. 5K+ is in square shape and 8K is like diamonds.

It’s not only that the 8K has a “rainbow” (~diamond) RGB sub-pixel arrangement. The 8K panel resolution is 3840x2160, but uses the same 2560x1440 pixel input source as the 5K+ (which is a native-res display). Since the 8K image is stretched, the transition between input pixels is somewhat blurred. These extra pixels reduce SDE, but the image itself is softer (a known trade-off).

I just went to Wal-Mart and bought some double sided velcro (generic). Then you can just cut it to length and add it as needed (multiple layers if necessary). It is easy to set up and you can easily remove it if you change your mind or let someone else use the headset.

Thank you very much for your advice. I will use in the near future :wink:

Just wanted to let you know that lenses being too close to eyes is easy to fix - just grab 18mm padding from VRCover. I am using Velour VRCover for oculus. I also think that adding this padding made outer edge corrupution almost invisible. I think that is because by using thicker padding vision angle changes a bit, and it looks better, at least with my face shape/eyes.