Your personal thoughts about (Share with pictures)
My goal is to be objective, and I have to clarify that to me VR is just a racing tool. It allows me to avoid multiple huge screens around me, and is more immersive than screen setup. That said, I am not using VR headset for anything but racing, so all my comments have to be taken with a grain of salt, as I am not interested in controllers or room scale, for example. Also, I only race in rFactor 2, so it is single game review in a way.
I like the design, look, box and have no issue with it aside from I’d like a bit higher build quality - better plastic, higher quality strap (see cons section).
I was pleasantly surprised with comfort. Comfort was one of my biggest concerns upfront, but I worried for no reason. Comfort, however, is extremely subjective, and it largely depends on face/head shape. I am using motion system, and headset stays tight on my face, which I really appreciate.
Image quality is absolutely outstanding. Finally, not only we can use peripheral vision in racing. You can see opponent’s “nose” at your sides. Resolution is also so high, that image looks almost as good as 2D monitor does. I am still amazed by the image clarity and size every time I put HMD on.
Pros and cons.
Compared to CV1 and Odyssey.
- High FOV
- High resolution
- Image stays in focus, I do not have constantly adjust HMD to move image into focus. I do have to adjust it a bit for nose comfort, but not for image quality.
- Comfort is just a bit below CV1’s comfort, but a lot better than Odyssey. I really appreciate flexible strap.
- Vive tracking works better for seated experience, compared to CV1
- PiTool is ligthweight, non-intrusive software that does not try to take over your PC. Pitool does not force you to update anything, and it doesn’t popup as soon as you touch the HMD. It does not force dash in your face either. PiTool doesn’t event need to be running to use HMD.
- On/off button is welcome addition
- No headphones, no controllers
- Perfromance is better than I expected
- 90/72/64hz is excellent move
- Even gyroscope tracking works well!
- Facial interface is attached by Velcro. Was able to use VR Cover from another headset no problems.
- Biggest issue is as of today, Pitool v109, Smart Smoothing is not as good as ASW. With ASW I pretty much never needed 90FPS, 45FPS+ASW felt extremely smooth with just minor artifacts. Unfortunately, I am running with Smart Smoothing off as it produces too many artifacts, double images, blurriness
The rest is nitpicks, really.
- Headset hurt my nose, but I installed a bit thicker padding which helped. Still, the area where lenses are closest to each other, needs softening of some sort. Alternatively, the material that hides lenses needs to be much tighter.
- Build quality: I once sat on my CV1 and nothing happened. I dropped it multiple times, it still works. Unfortunately, Pimax feels pretty fragile, I am actually afraid it’ll crack in my hand. Strap began to come apart a bit on first use. So, build quality should be improved in the future, IMHO. Make it $100 more expensive, but build it like a tank (keeping it light though, which is a challenge…)
- non-OLED panel is immediately evident, level of black is a step back compared to previous headsets. However, that is not noticeable in racing game, so just a minor con.
- I liked CV1’s color reproduction a bit better, but that’s very subjective
- I have one dead pixel, but not sure if this is a con, because same can happen with 2D monitor, and it is just a side effect of LCD production. Pixel isn’t visible unless you specifically look for it.
- I find SDE more pronounced than with rift, about the same as Odyssey.
Performance（Your gaming experience with Pimax, you can share not only one game experience) Also, would like to hear about your RIG. It can help others know about the FPS ish.
My system is 8700K@5.0Ghz, 2080ti +180Mhz core/+1200Mhz memory, 32Gb RAM.
PiTool at 1.0, SVR SS at 110%. Parallel projection workaround is checked, Smart Smoothing off.
I found that rFactor 2 is very much playable in both dry and rain conditions. I get ~40FPS, but to my surprise game is very much playable. I am still working on finding optimal PiTool/SVR setting, because my current one might be a bit excessive.
Is Pimax 5k+ perfect? No, but then, what is? However, going back to older headsets is simply unimaginable. I have 0 doubts about selling CV1. I am happy and content with Pimax device, and as long as Pitool stays unintrusive, I am definitely buying next Pimax headset But even today, combined with Pitool, I feel I have device of my dreams.
Thank you very much!