Pimax 8K and Blu-ray

A popup just told me to group several replies in a single post. I’m trying to do it.

I’ll stay tuned. It would be strange that VR viewers weren’t developed with this market in mind too.

Probably. This image shows the reason:

But Pimax has two wide screens, it hasn’t to display a small rectangular movie image inside a square view.

What do you mean by demanding? I play common 2D Blu-ray discs on my laptop with Leawo (plays almost all) and VLC + added libraries (plays some). These programs play 3D Blu-rays as 2d movies, I don’t know what they could do with a 3D TV or other 3D device.

Leawo is free, however I have a sort of feel that they will make it payware once out of the beta phase.

If you have a Toshiba device, maybe their player would be worth a try:

I know this guide, although I never tried it for lack of a 3D viewer. However I find the whole procedure a bit time consuming.

VR viewer manufacturers ahould think about this use of their devices, and pimax 8K (probably 4K too) has enough resolution to be ready for it.

If someone from Pimax would read this thread… :slight_smile:

IMO if one can see Blu-rays with a computer and suitable software, all is missing to watch them - and other 3D content, like 360° movies - on Pimax is an intermediate software layer, let’s call it a driver. Might be the VorpX drivers mentioned by @Wildcopper, or some other software developed by Pimax itself.

Why the need to remove protections?

I mean, If I can play Blu-rays on my computer, shouldn’t VorpX drivers be enough to send them to the Pimax?

Exactly my thought:

A device with two simultaneous screens should display the movie with no reduced resolution or flickering.

This is basically what I’m doing. But for protected discs you will need a tool like AnyDVD HD or DVDFab to use that method. It’s mentioned in that article.
MPC-HC doesn’t decrypt protections, and sadly, no player that does so (PowerDVD, Windows Media Player) supports full 3D playback from protected sources on a VR headset.

Rift and Vive are not HDCP compliant, probably stands to reason that the pimax won’t be either

yeah, that’s the method that I use to watch 3d blurays on my Odyssey headset. The quality is excellent when viewing directly from the disc like this but I do wish there were a more user friendly way of doing it that didn’t require separate decryption software. Really a shame that you have to jump through hoops to watch your legally owned media in the way you want.

Let’s see if now I understand the method you and Wildcopper use.
MPC-HC supports 3D playback to a VR viewer, but doesn’t decrypt protected content. So you decrypt the Blu-ray before viewing, converting it into an unencrypted file with some software. Am I right?

Agree. I have about one hundred movies legally bought from Amazon, some of which include 3D versions. I’m starting to think I’d have better used the same money by buying a big NAS, rent Blu-rays from the local library, rip and store them on the NAS. I hope someone from the media industry reads this.

Yes, I use DVDFab Passkey. When I insert a Blu-ray in my drive, DVDfab automatically starts up and decrypts the file so that it can be opened by MPC. It works great, but is still annoying that I have to do all of that just to play my media. Note that this works for 2D or 3D blu-rays. It really provides an incredibly good picture even with the limited resolutions of the current VR headsets. I use Big Screen to watch them.

What a price! There’s a program to remove Cinavia and another one for other protections, and each one is several bucks. Hope someone will make something open and free.

The easier way to do it imho is just to download (torrent) the movie instead of cracking the DRM on the disk yourself…? (provided you already own the media in question, else it’s piracy!)

That was the reason few years ago I decided to stop buying movies. 30 Euro for a 3D bluray that I couldn’t even get to work through my HTPC without DVDFab and similar workarounds.

The movie industry have a lot to learn from the game industry. Until then, well there are alternative ways to watch Blu-rays, with or without 3D, UHD and HDR.

Me and my gf pays enough monthly fees to the industry already for Netflix, HBO and 3 other online series/entertainment sites. The quality of those is hilarious though and mostly used for gf’s series…

I did it at first, but downloading a movie took several days, and the availability of non-English titles is limited. Another reason why I prefer buying Blu-rays is that the movie doesnt take space on the hard disk.

I seldom paid 30 euros for a movie. Well, one does it for new titles he can’t absolutely wait for, but in general I buy on Amazon through special offers, e.g. 3 at 50% or 10 for 45 euros, sometimes choosing collections. Thus, for most movies I paid between 4.5 and 6 euros each.

I think you “need” a “big screen”, because one full image per eye is to near for a usual movie.
It would be like sitting in the front of the cinema and not be able to move your head.

Also for “IMAX”, you have to be able to move your head.
Not just the eyes.

Of course, since the two images don’t overlap completely, a choice made to emulate actual eyesight for 360° movies and games.

Supposing that the two 4K screen images overlap at least for half of their width, there should be enough room for a 1920x1080 frame with stereoscopic vision. You should see this as a big screen as if you were looking at your computer monitor in a dark room and, in my opinion, there’s no need to simulate a cinema.

Now I only have to wait for the actual device to be on the market and pass from speculation to observation.

When watching movies with a VR headset and our method(s), you are able to turn your head. The software places you in a virtual movie theater with a huge (size is adjustable) screen. With VorpX, it’s even more realistic since the light emitted from the screen affects the theater.
Watching Avatar (for instance) with a VR headset beats any existing 3D TV.

And to answer the question from another poster, yes, to use my system with LAV + MadVR + MPC-HC I have to decrypt the disc, and I’m using AnyDVD HD (lifetime license). It’s transparent to the user anyway.

I’m one of those “old school” persons who don’t mind paying for their entertainment, so I own over 500 original discs… must be closer to 600 now actually. And I waited a long time to be able to watch all the 3D ones in a really immersive environment.

Here’s what it looks like on the Pimax 4K (I blurred the images so I don’t break any copyright). You can see the effect of the screen on the floor and ceiling. What you see in the headset is bigger, this is the whole rendered image from the screen mirror, not what you really see. In the headset, you have the screen right in your face, so to say.

And

Thanks for this thread, just came across it.

When I got my first 4K in 1st Q 2017, 3D Bluray “The Martian” worked already out-of-the-box in the HMD in 3D.
I just had to launch Virtual Desktop in Steam, launch the player on the desktop (can’t remember, whether it was Cyberlink oder PowerDVD), switch output to fullscreen, and then watch it in the HMD.
No further or time-consuming work-arounds necessary.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work any more with my second 4K now.
I can try whatever I wan’t - CyberLink Pro 17 (bought it especially and only for this purpose in Oct '17) plays 3D only on my TV, but refuses to do so on the 4K… Using Virtual Desktop now only results in a black screen in the HMD.

Isn’t there really any other direct way any more than to download a copy of my legally owned movie somewhere…??
Not believable - especially when thinking of the time passed since Rift and Vive first launched years ago already…

And yes: At that time when it worked, 3D effect of The Martian in 4K really was awesome, stunning, overwhelming… :grin::sunglasses:

So, thanks guys once again :grin:
After almost three hours and two more obstacles I had to read a lot of comments for, I finally managed to get “The Martian” work in VR again! :blush:

It was really a mess, cause that media player always crashed as soon as I switched it to Fullscreen mode… In the end it turned out NVidia Vision to be the bad guy - so I had to reinstall new drivers without checking the Vision tools.

Unfortunately, then, Jurassic World Evolution refused to start… :anguished: Never had this before. Re-install of the game didn’t change anything but did cost another 15 minutes… Here, I found I had to go back at least two driver versions since JWE apparently has some problems with the newest one…

But finally, now everything seems to work fine.

So, in the end, I’m finally able to watch my 3D-Blurays in the Pimax :grin:

But I’d never thought it might take me as long to set it up… dammit… :wink:

Hi, thanks for these images, how did you capture them?
The screen you are actually watching in the viewer is - or can be adjusted to be - a straight rectangle?
How many pixels do you think it is large?

Thanks for the hint. I just saw the demo videos at Steam.