Pimax 8K Progress [Updated: Feb 6, 2018]

Do those freezes occur while using a different HMD?
Because if they do, it is the game that is the problem… not the HMD.

OK, just a few more points:

1. Elite Dangerous uses their own engine (COBRA to be exact) and they have had support for ultra wide monitors, multiple monitor setups with extended FOV, and VR support native for years. There is even an FOV slider that can be adjusted in the Options menu.
  2. SteamVR is already set up to handle and report the larger FOV being presented by the Pimax 8K.

Hope this helps

Good article from 2015 & a lot has likely changed since then.

This is a good article on fov but doesn’t contain too much new.

However does cover many 1080p resolutions

Now we do know sims that support multimonitor setups fo support higher FoV.

Old games like
RFactor
Flightgear

As the above old games allow you to recreate a cockpit with side windows. So to speak. I imagine Ed is the same.

[quote=“Hessfire, post:378, topic:5124”]
Elite Dangerous uses their own engine (COBRA to be exact) and they have had support for ultra wide monitors, multiple monitor setups with extended FOV, and VR support native for years. There is even an FOV slider that can be adjusted in the Options menu.[/quote]
I’ve actually tested 200 degree FOV in ED. The FOV slider has limits in the UI which prevent such a wide FOV, but you can edit the config file to exceed those limits. As near as I can tell, 200 degrees worked correctly.

Per eye IS less than 180, it’s around 150 on pimax I believe.

@xunshu, can we get an update on the status of the controllers?

I appreciate the update @xunshu I’m a hopeful backer. I’m hoping you can iron out the worst of the complaints and make the headset (and controllers) ready for Q2, as I’ve already bought my 1080ti, and set up my room-scale room for this. I chose to combine the headset and controller shipment, so hopefully the v2 controllers are on track. I’m really excited!

@Heliosurge @xunshu I’d like to second this. Navigating a thread of this size, particularly when it gets updates at the top, is a bit unwieldy.

@Heliosurge @xunshu I’d like to second this too. Better use a new post with a link in the Oficial Updates thread.

For all intents and purposes, not intensive purposes.

Except when some actually does mean intensive purposes. Happened to me once.

Agreed that way updates can be viewed like a changelog in official updates as well.

Please lock it from comments from anyone but the Pimax team. comments can be elsewhere.

That’s why we have the official update thread. I usually link a message to pimax team op message.

I use google translate
Last week’s update? He had to have one

Just scroll to the very top, the OP was edited by @xunshu and now contains trhe most recent update.

And what about those lags in Arizona Sunshine video? 1080 is not enough?

@Dayset: at this stage I suggest we wait. Next stop on this trip should be shipping the test units to selected backers & reviewers.

That will be a true test and any serious short comings should be revealed at such stage. I simply do not expect any really meaningful information to reach us before that happens - seriously, how often has it been asked on this forum to provide more information about the performance with certain games, and the best we got was usually a short video clip which gives a brief impression, but you still know nothing about average FPS, number of frame drop outs, etc. etc… Pimax did not give such information in the past couple of months, they will not change that now.

Wait for the select backers’ feedback. Who hopefully will not be forced by Pimax to be silent about the short comings.
If they are, well, then we have to wait for the unit we will eventually have on our desk.

I will turn my attention to other matters for the coming month(s)…

how did you test it? or your tv…?

I have a Good news for 8k X backers
Nvidia Ampere use 10 nm
Volta was 12 nm