Pimax 8K Progress [Updated: Feb 6, 2018]

First they should finish an M1 and they do not even comment to be there. Then review it thoroughly and fix problems. Then make the prototypes they need, review and fix them all and, finally, send them, which would also take a while.

That they arrive at the beginning of april seems to me quite optimistic.

I hope Pimax don’t manufacture them in haste or send them with known errors.

I know people. :innocent:
Companies often advise their employees, partners and distributors when they take vacations.

Not trying to sound bummed…but…so…the update is y’all were on vacation and nothing got done?

Haha. Well if @Cdaked is right they ‘only’ had 2 weeks holiday, so that’s still 2 weeks of work/progress. I wonder how much they could have done though in 2 weeks.

The shipment will begin on 1st of April this year.

** I am desolate of being right again.

When Mathew came back on this forum in January after a long absence, I wrote here that it was the news for month January: Matheww being back. Next news was supposed to be in February, I said at that time. Mathew laughed and told me what a good joke.

But it was not a joke, it was a premonition.

April’s fool Joke?.. I don’t think we, as backers, are being entitled anxious pricks here… I think we deserve some kind of update, as promises were made and significant milestones committed during March. Communication is really important nowadays, and lack therof can really kill your business.

It was a national holiday and at least all their suppliers were off at the same time. I personally don’t begrudge people their vacation time. Let’s hope everyone is well rested and of renewed focus.

Indeed often the best thing to do is tale a break & reaproach with being renewed & relaxed. A solution may present itself.

no need to be rude. I’m busy with my life, unlike you who’s so hip and up to date with the latest tech news!..

We are close to mid-March, I hope to have some strong news about how the M1 project and the bug fix of v5 are going

And hopefully some answers

Knowing this is finally going to be my year in China is enough for me. Year of the Dog.

I’m a Rabbit think my element is wood.

According to a rumour the German YT blogger Mixedreality has said the following:

“Hi @everyone ! Unfortunately it will take a bit longer until I will receive the Pimax 8k.
I was in touch with Pimax today and asked them if I would still receive the test unit in March.
They told me they won’t be able to deliver this month. Well, in my opinion that is totally fine.
Let them work on the BEST Pimax 8k they can deliver instead of selling some half baked device.
We can still enjoy our current gen headsets a few months more.”

I could not verify this so take it for what it’s worth. But it would seem fitting news to the impression about the progress we are getting so far. If Pimax had sorted out the issues and were gearing up production of the M class prototypes supposed to be delivered to select backers within a few days, we surely would have had a statement from Pimax here already.
Interestingly they only seem to have confirmed that no delivery will take place in March - not that it is postponed to April. So it’s pretty much open ended - likely because issues persist to which they have no solution yet. Difficult to give an updated delivery schedule if the issue is not under control…

But, kind reminder, this rumour is not confirmed yet.

Is this true, Sebastian Ang? @mixedrealityTV are you there?

Oh man I kinda had a feeling this would happen. At least the headset will be good when it is finally done.

Yes, I can confirm. I have received the same reply today. Most likely no M1 units this month.

Just like Sebastian (MixedReality TV) said, I have no hurry and I think the Pimax team are taking a good decision to make sure the product really is finalised and as good as possible upon launch, instead of rushing it out.

Lets calm down and wait a bit longer, guys. Once its out, we will for sure be happy backers! :grinning:

Cheers
Martin

I still have faith in the Pimax team. I’ve switched over to a Samsung Odyssey because i broke my PImax BE. While the Odyssey is an excellent product I can recommend, especially because tracking is built in, I still kinda miss my BE model for two reasons.

I had an older PC up until about 2 weeks ago. And I was having a Better experience with the BE than I did with the Samsung in my favorite VR program, Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3d 4.2.

First, I Did Not Get Dizzy in the Pimax. I think this is specifically because of the framerate doubling method they are using in their headset. The software I used as a VR overlay for Prepar3d, FlyInside would say I had a certain framerate, even down to 20fps, but the experience in the headset was smoother. I did not get VR sickness in the Pimax BE. I think specifically because of their Brainwarp technology. Now I have newer PC and I have not been able to try the broken Pimax BE, but even with double the framerates sent to the Samsung Odyssey, I get VR sickness! This will probably be solved when I rip one of those 1080 ti from a miner, but it’s a noticeable issue that needs to be resolved that I didn’t have with the Pimax BE and Brainwarp Tech.
Second, Pimax BE did not have those GODFORSAKEN GODRAYS!!! OMG I hate seeing them, they make a whole flight GLAREY. Why the Hell are they thinking that these stupid fresnel lenses are the path to go when every Knows eventually to get to the highest quality they will have to go to a regular lens. Seriously bad choice fresnel lenses are.
Actually this kinda brings in a third issue. Even the Samsung Odyssey is still limited by bandwidth issues. The Pimax BE works up to 90hz, but not without an HDMI connection that could run it. I am still on a GTX 780 SLI setup and I’m limited to 60hz on the Odyssey as I was the Pimax BE. Yet I get dizzy on the Odyssey. The Odyssey and BE have the exact same actual resolution.

OK, now a 4th issue. Pimax software actually worked more seemlessly with Vive Steam VR programs and any VR program. The Odyssey requires the overhead of the Windows Mixed Reality program running, and I can tell there is a little bit of performance loss with it. Pimax allowed programs to run a little lower to the drivers and stayed out of the way more.

Those 4 items, along with the build quality of the Pimax BE, are why I believe that Pimax is going to do this right. I don’t know where they are on the fresnel lens issue, but I do know for such a small group they are extraordinarily talented and definitely capable of paying attention to detail enough to pull off the Pimax 8k. I think they are our best hope on the wide high res VR experience we’re all looking for, and if they need more time I’m almost certain any other group would lag behind even more … because they are.

Everyone seems so positive still.
Am i the only one dissatisfied that we have to hear about this from people like sweviver and mixedrealitytv instead of pimax themselves?
Their promise was to be more open and communicate. And i quote: “especially when encountering new issues or problems along the way.”
All i have seen is radio silence…

I am still hoping for an amazing headset sometime this year.
All I’m trying to say is i think many of us are really longing for a little bit of good news for a change.

Thanks a lot, Martin. :slight_smile: