Pimax business version ID

• add a scaler chip, so lower resolutions are supported

With gold-colored buttons the chance for increased abrasion is relatively high.

A gold-colored Pimax logo would also look high quality while highlighting the Pimax brand even more prominently. In combination with a gold-like LED color this would be a stylish business edition.

After seeing all these different ideas I still think black is the best for business and probably for personal too. White looks cool but will show grubby fingerprints too easy. On that note hopefully the plastic surface isn’t too smooth. I would make the front black and the top or sides grey, wherever a break in the material is. EDIT I’m not sure what the purpose is to change the look of the business model, even adding grey won’t probably make it look better than all black.

That gold pi logo is really nice, especially that small.

This is so 80’s

20 chars

What is for you Pimax 8K mode… ? The Scaler

You said “Call it PIMAX 8K PRO - Hardware is Pimax 8K-X not Pimax 8K”
The Pimax 8K-X runs at native (4K) resolution only. The 8K includes a scaler chip, so that it can scale (resize) the image sent over the video cable (which is 2560x1440) to the native 4K (3840x2160) resolution.

Without a scaler chip, you’ll need a very powerful GPU, probably 2 GPUs running SLI, to drive the headset at a reasonable framerate with higher than low-quality game settings.

Unfortunately, the 8K cannot bypass the scaler chip (to run at full 4K native res).

What I’d like to see in a Pimax 8K Pro is the best of both, for maximum flexibility, even if it adds to the cost of the headset.

I like the gold business unit. But my favorite color is emerald. I would love to see the businessunit in emerald LED. @vorinami. Can you make a business Emerald unit for me? (Just the image of course). :slight_smile:

AFAIK the LED is RGB so it’s not locked to one color.

I’m not sure that is still the case. There were videos of V2 or V3 which clearly showed color-changing LEDs, but subsequent videos have only shown blue LEDs.

You already can do scaling on the 8K-X because the GPU can do it. The advantage of the 8K is that it only uses one cable, if you are going to include the dual cable setup from the X anyway then there is no advantage to including the scaler from the nonX.

A scaler would improve gpu compatability. But no the scaler from the 8k I don’t think would do.

However Analogix new bridgechip slotted for 2019 Q1 might be the answer with its built in scaler. Originally presented by @sjefdeklerk

Here is a Tom’s Hardwsre Article on the upcoming 75(38/39) chips 4k at 120hz increased bandwidth to boot.

https://amp-tomshardware-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.tomshardware.com/news/analogix-4k-120hz-display-controller,37208.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Fnews%2Fanalogix-4k-120hz-display-controller%2C37208.html

Yes, the GPU can do it, but I don’t think that it’s quite true “there is no advantage”. The GPU will already be struggling, if you are reducing res to improve framerate. Offloading some of the work to the headset reduces bandwidth and eases the GPU workload, to some extent.

In particular, if this choice had been available, it’s the one I would have picked. Right now, I only have a lowly 980Ti, but a “Pro” headset would be relatively future-proof and I could run it at higher resolutions, once I’ve got a better GPU.

You must be an HTC employee in disguise ! Don’t you dare to suggest that Pimax uglify their 8K by applying the dents of the Vive & Vive Pro !!

What? Don’t you want your headset to look like a lumpy purple potato? :laughing:

Well, I am late to the party, but I should admit, this thread has made my day.

I had a very hard time finding the correct wording to describe my feelings about the design suggested, but the only thing that comes to my mind is SRSLY?

Lemme guess - the “designer” mentioned in the first post is a close relative of someone in the top management?
Great to see that such things happen not only in my good ol’ Ukraine.

Evaluating the “design” from the European point of view, the best words would be "this is a very rough sketch made by a 15 years old student. 15 minutes were spent, no damage done to anyone (except for the people who will not be able to “unsee” this).

I am aware of the fact, that Chinese sense of beauty and aesthetics is very complex (no sarcasm here) and far far away from the European or American one. This is the main reason why we are sometimes totally surprised by the “ugliness” of some Chinese products - they are actually not ugly, they are just created by people of the very unique culture which we are not able to perceive.

But since Pimax plans to sell this product on the world market, I’d finish with only one advice - cut the shit and spend some money to hire a designer professional from the USA or Europe, this will be both a lot easier and effective.

Actually, I rather like the distinctive, angular, hammerhead design, with the minimal “smiling” chevron. Imo, it stands out (in a good way) from other headsets.

Scaling an image takes fractions of a millisecond, there’s no advantage to doing that on the headset except for saving bandwidth because of the bridge chip chosen not supporting 7680x2160 @ 90hz.

Reducing bandwidth does not, in and of itself, improve performance, it is the fact you are reducing the render output that improves performance.

If you are reducing the render output to 5120 for performance reasons alone, it makes no difference to the end user whether that image being scaled to 7680 is done on the GPU or on the headset.

You can test the performance difference of getting the monitor to do the scaling or the GPU with any monitor (as most monitors will accept several different resolutions - thats the monitor doing the scaling, vs. using Nvcontrol panel and setting the scaling options). There isn’t any.

I’m skeptical that it has no impact, especially when the wide FOV and double (3D) images are taken into account. However, I’ll concede that the impact could be minimal.

I agree with you on the differences between US & European sense of beauty on the one hand, and Asia-Pacific (save for Aussies & Kiwis) on the other hand.

But honestly, the 8K never struck me as ugly. It is bulky, for sure but that is due to its function, housing two large screens at an angle. So what is there to really complain about ? They could have rounded the edges, but they chose to be boxy, which is in contrast to Rift & Vive - so positioning themselves visually apart from the current crop of VR headsets. The chevron adds a nice tweak the others don’t offer. If you compare Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s, the latter is nearer to the 8K, not as pleasing to the eye but rather bulky, with clear lines and corners. It’s a choice of style, and in the 8K’s case mostly stemming from functional demands.