Pimax HMD Bug/Fault Pimax 4k - dredded black line

OK. I have installed the Piplay version 1.2.57 and, it has got rid of the black line, but I am getting just a lit gray screen, with no black line, and no pimax logo, even though 1.2.57 piplay is reporting it is in pimax mode.

I will now try and change to video mode and back to pimax mode and observe what happens.

It now reports in video mode, with same gray screen (also it has a white dot in the middle if i look closely enough, the gray image is for illustration purposes but has a little white pixel dot in the hmd at the centre of the gray area)

Iā€™m going to try changing back to pimax mode again.

Yes as expected, this worked, and now the pimax logo screen is showing with the black line again.

Now i will put device in vide mode and i note I get a gray screen with a black lineā€¦ before it transitions to kodi, with same black line, the cycle is complete :joy: :joy:

I also note, and this may or may not be related to the black bar black line bug that the settings which are now called ā€˜renderā€™ are absent, might this be related to the bug? as i remember changing this missing setting before could remove the black line, also transitioning states briefly remomves the black line, from what i understand if i get this in video and pimax mode im getting it in steamvr and non steamvr games , its something being added to the hmd, i just cant figure out how :expressionless:

from debug whilst in PIMAX mode and pimax logo showing with black line:

##############################################################
Connection information

Connection statusļ¼šDevice_Connected
Current modeļ¼šPVR_EXTEND
Current system support modeļ¼šPVR_DIRECT PVR_EXTEND
Device serial numberļ¼š1007117150028247DF
Firmware Versionļ¼š1.0.0.265
Firmware statusļ¼š0
Tone informationļ¼šWarm
Gyro stateļ¼šOpen
Brightness informationļ¼šLEVEL_NORMAL
Blue light informationļ¼šOpen
Back light informationļ¼šforced

=======After reboot:==============

From debug whilst in video mode straight after rebooting whilst gray blacklist screen with no line is showing

Connection information

Connection statusļ¼šDevice_Connected
Current modeļ¼š128
Firmware Versionļ¼š1.0.0.265
Firmware statusļ¼š0
Tone informationļ¼šWarm
Gyro stateļ¼šOpen
Back light informationļ¼šforced

This strikes me as not right, and finally I switch to Pimax mode;

This is what I mean about how i think this bug might be to do with transitioning states, and i believe changing the render on a certain version of piplay might have fixed it before, itā€™s one of the legacy versions, but given that iā€™ve tried them all, I think there might be more to it than that.

I also note I believe the images are a lot more than 50mm apart where it overlays so much as to read ā€˜pimpmaxā€™ heheh :slight_smile: (i.e. kind of how the desktop looks like in extend/direct mode i think it is calledā€¦ because one eye has a different portion of the desktop altogether the other eye doesnt see almost)

Off I go, to try 1.2.97 again.

Ok looks like the option I fixed it with last time is only available in 1.2.97, but this is interesting, look how debug reports this time.

Whilst I can see this in the hmdā€¦

Also after transitioning from pimax->video->pimax, and having to turn my hmd on and off after it going red LED on video mode, when switching back to pimax I get this message

I think itā€™s significant. I intentionally Installed 17.12.1 AMD drivers though and they work greatā€¦ right?

Im gonna play some steamvr games now just to prove a point that EVERYTHING works and good high performance, just something bugged/not right here causing the black line and this hmd to be stuck in this PVR EXTEND thing. What to do to reset it?

After reboot, still 1.2.97

Connection information

Connection statusļ¼šDevice_DisConnected
Current mode : 128
Firmware versionļ¼š1.0.0.265
Firmware statusļ¼š0
Tone informationļ¼šWarm
Gyro stateļ¼šOpen
Back light informationļ¼šForced

After installing 1.1.87:

note on HMD still present black line (altho not on t he screenshot)

When I change mode from Extend -> Pimax HMD goes LED red, and pimax goes black (no backlit, no signal).

Iā€™m installing 1.2.53 now, but would be advantageous to understand how to get this thing out of extend :frowning:

OK. with 1.2.53 I feel like the two images in the HMD are too far apart again, doesnt seem to have an effect when I change the IPD. At least SteamVR works but the black line is still ther e:(

Also managed to get unity chan installed, but it doesnā€™t goto the hmd, it goes to my monitor, whilst hmd shows pimax logo

Hi,

I am not having image separation or focus issues since I started using these: https://www.planet-estelle.com/product/17466851

btw. Did you exclude HW issues by switcing hdmi port or by trying DVItoHDMI adapter? Or another PC?

Thanks for writing veemax I appreciate it.

However I do mention a few times I have got rid of this problem several times, and put the problem back several times by using the older legacy software versions, so this isnā€™t a hardware thing (at least that I can observe so far).

I also mention Iā€™ve tried nvidia and AMD graphics cards in multiple arrangements, I donā€™t see how those lensā€™ are going to remove a black line, no? Or this problem being a graphics card issue as I have done some very thorough tests to prove it is a nissue with the pimax software/firmware/hmd interaction in transitioning state so far, see my debug above

Best,
Adam

Hi Adam

I have got back home from being abroad and thought i would pop back to your post. your explanations and reports are very longā€¦ took me a while to read through them all again!

okā€¦ so 1st thing to mention is your version of piplay is oldā€¦ if you want to use the version 1.x of the piplay drivers in reality ONLY 1.1.92 is the one to go for.
personally at this stage using 3.x piplay drivers - not worth it, as the ghosting is pretty bad and fps takes a hit.

I would recommend using 2.0.7.54 as it has better giro stability, as well as ghosting matching that of 1.1.92 with additional brightness settings and a good image render slider. it also does not use steamvrā€™s compositor, so its 1 less thing to worry about.

I also noticed on one of your screenshots the message that your PC might struggle with VRā€¦ note the message at the bottom of the snip i made of your screenshot.

this does not necessarily mean you cant run vr, more that this might be causing you some other issuesā€¦ i.e. if you have a igpu installed on your machine it may be trying to use that, so disabling that in bios and in device manager will ensure that the dedicated gpu (either nvidia or amd etc) is used.

also ensure if using nvidia gpu that you are using 384.94-desktop-win10-64bit-international-whql drivers (assuming you are on win10 and 64bit operating system) - it has the least amount of stutter and lowest degradation in fps

Eno

Hi Eno,

Appreciate you taking the time to respond. Look, that message your pointing out about the configuration being too low is just one of the buggier pimax versions which misdetects my RX580 graphics card. VR works, it works fine.

only problem with the PIMAX 4k headset is there is a big black line in the middle, I have said this nothing short of 10 times with gross amounts of detail.

It is being caused to my knowledge, as I have said, tested and ā€˜provenā€™ before, by a bug in the older firmware or driver compatibility. Iā€™ve fixed the problem before as I have said myriad times.

I have a very good idea of what the issue is, it is bug with PImax 4k headset causing big black line down the middle, except for that the whole thing works fine, and after accidentally booting up with an old OS install itā€™s reinserted this black line, and despite my best efforts to recreate the symptoms to remove the black line (by changing the resolution detail etc), i cannot remove it this time, and it is not my fault, it is an issue with the hmd and the driver.

There is not anything wrong with my system it is compatible, it works, very good performance, just with black line during playing steamVR (as I have shown in countless screenshots). That is the main problem. Itā€™s just its a pain everytime i install different driver version the way it interacts with the HMD is different, i think what has happened here is one version interacted in certain way with HMD but ā€˜left something behindā€™ in HMD which is drawing this black line, and it wonā€™t go away until I install the older legacy software and try and fudge around with the resolution from 1.0x to 1.1x in the pimax device settings, again, as I have said myriad times, but I am not able to remove the black line this time, and I am left with a crused black line and unusable headset thru the only fault of my own is booting an OS of a different disk and an older install adding the line- and I truly respect you as a human being for taking so much of your time to help, but did you actually read what I am saying? I think you completely misunderstood the problem is all.

Itā€™s upsetting despite my best efforts, to get this buggy hardware headset working, and attempting to ā€˜bodge and fudgeā€™ my way to fix the black line on the HMD, which gets redrawn nearly no matter what i do, despite th e fact I can play every single VR game, is incredibly frustrating, not to mention the very clear and succinct descriptions I give of circumstances where the Pimax software removes the black line.

Very frustrating. Apologies if I sound angry Eno, certainly not with you.

Pimax, shame, shame shame on you.

The black line on my headset is caused by your driver. You didnā€™t help me fix it. Despite the fact that my pimax headset has never properly worked, I have been robbed of Ā£200.00 despite the fact that I know what I am doing, and despite the fact that I have exactly and consistently described the problem.

:frowning:

The only advice I can give is donā€™t buy a headset because you donā€™t know if youā€™ll be able to remove the black line mysteriously added by some of the older driver/software combinations for the HMD firmware. Despite the fact I have a very good handle on what the issue is, nobody else seems to understand that the problem has nothing to do with my system, which plays VR just fine.

As I have consistently and repeatedly said throughout this thread, and actually long to painstaking lengths to describe, the pimax software is ADDING THIS BLACK LINE down the center of my pimax, and if I can get the pimax to COMPLETELY SCREW UP TRANSITIONING STATE i get a gray screen, where there is no black line, and sometimes iget a gray screen with a black line, which leads me to believe, very goddamned specifically, that it is exactly an issue with the pimax HMD driver interaction with the exact way the pimax versions transition state, and an improperly transition state from a previous driver or installation is completely messing up my headset, and I cant fix it.

as Iā€™ve repeatedly said Iā€™ve fixed the problem before, but Iā€™m struggling to do it now.

So, perfectly good piece of hardware, completely broken.

Itā€™s also worth noting in some of the older versions the Left and Right IPD is wrong and not between 50-70mm but something like 100 and 140mm, and may actually cause damage to the eyes if not corrected. Why do some of the older pimax versions seem to have a different alignment of the IPD? And why do some of the older pimax software not seem to change the IPD at all? I suspect that IPD and resolution in the pimax device settings is something to do with it, as it also transitions the state, and as I said, it adds this black line for some reason during transitioning state, I just dont know why it is left on the headset in the video feed or is being rendered on the headset, because as i have said I have seen the black line disappear and headset go grey, so this is not dead pixel on the HMD, and anyway as I very clearly said I once fixed the problem by fudging around with the older legacy software, it was just unfortunate that I accidentally booted old OS.

That is why I am absolutely certain it is happening as I say, and I have even provided pictures to illustrate that

Feels bad man

Despite what people are saying this isnt caused by the driver, I donā€™t see how a big black line accross the HMD that sometimes disappears when the pimax software transitions state or fails to transition state and ends up with grey screen isnā€™t significant. Itā€™s very clearly significant and as I have said I have fixed it this way before. I just need to find out more the way the firmware and pimax software interact with the headset and I am sure this could be solved.

PIMAX. Please fix your HMD and differing ways legacy software interact with the IPD. This is caused by a fault with the Pimax HMD. Nothing else and that is a fact.

**DESPITE the well intended and irrelevant responses from some about using some crappy lens, or reinstalling my driver or my system not being VR compatible, I want to be very very very clear to say that my system is 100% VR compatible, VR works, it has worked for a long time without a black line, after i spent literally 2 days fscking around with old pimax software and firmwares to try and remove the black line, unfortunately for me I accidentally ran an older legacy version of the software along the headset the black line is back, and i canā€™t get it to go away except when i recreate ā€˜failuresā€™ where pimax software occasionally doesnt transition state. I feel that because of this black line going away under those circumstances, that it just simply canā€™t be an unrelated thing. Ive been really clear and it is frustrating when you clearly explain something that the vendor of the hardware and software and interactive driver that caused the issue, just completely ignore youā€¦ and instead other people who do not even work for Pimax are spending there time kindly to try and help, it is just that what I am reporting is fairly complicated which is why Iā€™ve had to say several timesā€¦

BLACK LINE CAUSED BY PIMAX SOFTWARE or stored as variable in headset or as a function which is turned on! I have programmed systems in delphi, I have written C++ abstraction layersā€¦ Iā€™m not a stupid personā€¦ I can see what the issue is, I I just donā€™t know how to fix it. Very frustrating when the issue isnā€™t probably recognised when I describe it repeatedly

feeels bad

Best wishes,
Adam

The problem if it was the software directly others would be experiencing your black line.

I would reccommend submitting a supoort ticket they might be able to setup a teamviewer session & determine what is causing your line.

Did you try the link here? They are still setting up a new support system (still a bit buggy)