PIMAX, Is there a plan to fix eye-strain and IPD issues to make the 5k+ and 8k headsets more useable for people with less than 60mm IPD? Small IPD/160 FOV lens replacements and adaptors?

events
issue

If its true that moving the headset side to side moves the blur from one eye to the other with someone ,s ipd being 64-65 and thats middle of the road ,surly can only mean the headset has displaced lens or are they not closing properly ,has anyone measured the gap between the lens holders at 64 to compare may need a micrometer

My IPD is 59 and I seem to have a combination of issues. I can’t get the lenses close enough together to remove blur in one eye. I also have severe distortion on the inside of the lenses near the nose without even factoring IPD (it’s present with one eye closed when just adjusting for one eye).

If people with average IPD also have the blur issue then I’m more inclined to think that it’s caused by a tolerance issue in the manufacture or fitting of the lenses. That would explain the awful distortion and warping I’m having on the nose side as well.

Same here, would also pay for a solution

@64 ipd the gap measured 7.8mm, cannot get a micrometer in there so had to make a gauge and then measure it
its rough but may shed some light

7.99 gap.
20xxxxxxxxx

The main distorsion contribution for me is from the inner part of the lens, when it superimposes an image on the otherwise clear contralateral binocular periphery. E.g. left eye sees a left side star clearly, right eye looks through the inner part of the lens, but contributes with a smudged star. However, the inner part of the lens gets smudged even if I move the headset further left. Only way would be to move the eye away or closer to the lens to avoid looking through the area. But it’s no big disturbance anyway.

Thats not a bad benchmark :slightly_smiling_face: @64 ipd 7.8 - 8mm gap between lens

Ive been messing with the ipd adjuster in asseto corssa but pretty sure its inactive along with the ss setting

@Dallas.Hao @Matthew.Xu @PimaxUSA @Sean.Huang @Doman.Chen @Alan.sun @PimaxVR @Pimax-Support @xunshu

It would be nice to build a tool with an in vr user interface for advanced users to share lens undistort profiles.

Similar apps have been made swiftly to adjust chaperone for steam vr when vive first launched. It’s not uncommon for advanced user tools to be released. Crowd sourcing something like this might solve problems for individuals who can find a profile good for them for the way they wear their headset, and distance lens is from a users eyes.

A response of the tech team would be nice, i realy love this Headset everything is so perfect for me, expect this missing 3-4 mm.

I got some eye strain yesterday for the first time, but I feel it was because the headset doesn’t stay put with the current strap when playing more vigorous games in particular and that was causing alignment issues. I can race and fly for hours without problem. Playing Golf Club VR was problematic as the headset doesn’t want to stay put and I attribute that to the eye strain for myself at least. I raced and flew for several hours without issue today. IPD 66.7
DAS coming Weds.

With an IPD of 64 at lowest settings 59.x, I am also having some kind of weird eye strain although not so bad, but not comfortable for the eyes. Tried my real IPD, even worse.

I believe sweet spot is still not big enough to accommodate mistakes, and lenses are not supporting advertised IPD range. I did my best with vertical allignments, tried various facapads from vr cover and Vive but than distortions on both the edges become so much more apparent. Btw, distortions wirh latest beta drivers are not a big deal at all!

Looks like a new lens upgrade should be introduced. Hopefully, Pimax would come up with an upgrade

something simple would be nice (i jested ) linear graphs would be nice something that could be changed like a wavy line ipd ,focal distance ,not sure about distorsion ,contrast would be nice also

Could the community get a response with an actual solution to address low IPD users with 55mm IPD being unable to get clarity in both eyes and having to sell their preorder and backer headsets? Thats at least 5mm less than the minimal supported IPD and 5mm short of the minimal IPD outlined on the kickstarter product specifications. (60mm/70mm is the minimal IPD current headsets can go down to.)

Also a response on an actual solution to address the eye strain issues reported unanimously by 6+ backers all with over 60mm IPD testing each others headsets, which has also caused preorders and backers to sell their headsets after extensively trying to make them fit properly to not cause eye strain and get a clear image in both eyes and still being unable to use them?

Polls are also showing a fairly large amount of backers are experiencing eye strain with 64mm or less IPD, currently more users, than those not experiencing eye strain.

@PimaxUSA @Dallas.Hao @Sean.Huang @Doman.Chen @Alan.sun @Matthew.Xu @xunshu @mozi @Pimax-Support @PimaxVR

Because I took my DAS for the Pimax I did not used my OG Vive since a while (around two months). Today I made a dirty mod to adapt the lenovo headstrap to the Vive and just have a look.
OMG, it is extremly ‘comfortable’ for the eyes. Of course the SDE rush at you like a full speed train, but the colors are so… ‘Vive’ ;/. The lack of FOV is not what annoy me the most. The big SDE is pretty annoying but it depends on what you play. I made that mod so I can play Eleven table tennis again because with the Pimax, for unknown reason, it is like if I would be a newbie (I have many RL years of practice). I don’t know if it is something related to the eye strain/distorsion confusing my brain, or something wrong about the tracking but the Vive is doing a much better job for that game. Too bad, I thought that a wider fov would be a help for that game but it is clear that we are still in research time.

do you guys have a world scale problem? for me everything is about 20% bigger than with my other headsets.

For me in Elite Dangerous, the world seems to be about 10% too small. My opinion is based on the size of the pilot’s arms and hands.

What do you think causes the world to get distorted and become fish eye like with increased object sizes on some headsets but not on others? Could it have been a defective batch or a batch with a bad version of firmware loaded onto it?

I think some of that might be caused by increasing the face-pad thickness, like many users have done. I’m only using the 14mm pad which came with my 8K.

As for the “increased object sizes”, that might be a game-specific issue. I don’t really know. I’ve mostly played Elite Dangerous, but I also have played Titanic VR and Simple VR Video Player. None of these seem to exhibit a scale problem. (I’m assuming that ED’s “pilot arms look a little too small” isn’t actually an issue and would look like that on other headsets, but I don’t own any other headsets, so I can’t do any comparison testing.)

Elite has had this problem from way back in 2014.