PIMAX, Is there a plan to fix eye-strain and IPD issues to make the 5k+ and 8k headsets more useable for people with less than 60mm IPD? Small IPD/160 FOV lens replacements and adaptors?

events
issue

I do get better result with thicker padding too, this is why i think my right screen/lens might have an issue.
Bad calibration or misalignement.
And world does move a lot too…
Waiting for UK stock to get replacement.

What about a software IPD adjustment, will this do anything at all like for WMR headsets ?

If you are “more” sensitive to the lenses distortion (as @PngVR seems to be) you would need to align the lenses centers with your real-life IPD, which is probably not possible as the difference between the two is > 10mm, so technically you would need to dial in 56, which is currently not possible on the headset. The problem is that even if you were be able to do that you would suffer pronounced angular distortion (because it will be way off your correct setting).

There is no SW solution to that. The lenses placement and the whole optics geometry is defined by the hardware design. You can “artificially” enlarge your IPD by putting more padding (i.e. increasing the distance from the eye), but at the cost of introducing the angular distortion I wrote about. There is no universal solution.

So this just make the headset unusable for people like me, but what about having right pixel grid not aligned with left one ?
I mean vertical pixel row ( costs me too much focus on horizontal) its not parallel with left one when headset is straight ( i know it is by using a small level on headset and partner checking level ).
Is it meant be like that ?

Is your IPD symmetrical? If not, I guess pimax could implement a pixel shift in software (but leave it as an advanced option, as people would mess around with it and probably cause problems for themselves). That would be for horizontal issues. But it’s the same principle for vertical alignment.

I doubt very much this is an issue with the users eyes. Many of us are coming from other headsets where we had no such issues.

Yes, maybe the screens have been fitted poorly, and there’s a discrepancy between vertical pixel rows. Maybe it’s eye symmetry. Or both. But, there should be a software solution in any case, that lets users shift pixel rows vertically or horizontally for each eye that would align the matrices.

Allowing users to manually edit the distortion profile may be a fix for some of these issues. I’ve done it before with a multi projector setup on a curved screen and also with Nthusim software back in the Oculus DK1 days.

It would require a grid system with editable points that the user could manipulate via pitool. It absolutely should not be required though. This is meant to be second generation VR. Things are meant to get simpler and not more difficult.

We are 168posts into a thread on this subject on top of another thread which discussed it at length and was deleted, not to mention the older threads that have gone before this. None of them have a reply from Pimax. Not even an acknowledgement of the issue.

AFAIK there is no other consumer grade headset with divergent (non coplanar) views. All the others use coplanar views and therefore do not suffer any of the issues we are discussing here.

That’s assuming the issue is caused by the non Co-planar screen arrangement and not because of alignment issues in manufacturing or assembly.

It is possible that manufacturing tolerance is bigger than the “sweet spot” and I believe that Pimax does not do individual calibrations of the headsets (ie. individual distortion profile for each headset) I would even dare to guess that they use the same distortion profile for different IPDs, but this would be just a guess. All that may lead to misalignments or additional distortions, when the lenses or their placement are not perfect. I agree this could be @Jean-Mehdi case, but not yours.

Because he has an IPD that falls within the average percentile?

Although I have a narrow IPD of 59 I still cannot resolve a clear image without severe inside edge distortion around the nose. This is while holding the headset without any face padding (to allow more room to adjust the lens position relative to my eyes), with the second eye closed and throughout the mechanical IPD adjustment of the headset (adjusting position of the lens relative to the screen in case it does change the distortion profile). What do you think it may be if not a manufacturing tolerance issue? I’ve completely ruled out IPD by using only one eye and still seeing the problem.

I am almost sure this is a design flaw rather than a manufacturing tolerance issue.

Probably angled panels need much more extensive research, so much better lenses, build quality, etc… Pimax knew about it.

There may be other reasons as well, but all of them will be just speculation.

What is not this hmd is a real pain in the ars to use with average ipd people

Thr question is does he know where the actual center is. The lens is not flat like gen1 headaets so measuring centers might not be as standard method.

Already attempted to explain mamufacturing to you. Simply put how can the majoriry of average ipd users not have the problem you have?

Simple potentially defective headset.

Now batchrs represent assembled product. So if for example. The screems are mis aligned in a previous step & not calibrsted they could be in several batches of finished goods.

But like you said you don’t need to understand manufacturing to identify toot causes as it’s better to assume.

Keep in mind traditional lenses are flat on one side. Pimax lenses are bubbled on face side.

No it doesn’t support you with your headset.

You may need a session to get screems aligned like @pome did

Not if the 1 screen is not calibrated for proper position.

Yeah, not sure why PngVR isn’t even letting himself entertain the possibility that he just has a defective headset. There are simply too many other people with average IPDs that are not having this issue for it to be a fundamental design issue with the headset.