Pimax Knuckles Controllers

They have said they would strap down in the past.

Oops button fell off…

Doesn’t look like it fell off but was removed intentionally and i also have a guess why.

I don’t think that the upper button could be reached easily and operated comfortably but that is speculation on my side based on my testing.

I like how people on twitter are freaking out about the controller because they think this means it will be made entirely of plastic, seemingly with no understanding of what it is they are holding.

Any updates on the controllers?

Still, I think everyone would be interested to know: what kind of battery will be inside the controllers? Will this be AAA or AA replaceable batteries, or a built-in battery? And if there is a built-in power source, what capacity will it have?

Actually, it is important to think over the power supply system of the controllers, so as not to recharge after a few hours. It is important that there is enough energy for many days of use, at least for a week.

I give my preference to AA or AAA batteries. They can be integrated into the handle of the controller. Even in the Oculus Tuch easily included AA batteries and they are the most convenient controllers for today without problems.
This will be a universal solution and at the same time will give a pleasant weight to the controllers, as well as to save from the unnecessary costs of embedding an inseparable battery.

AA and AAA batteries only put out 1.5v each and have a pretty limited capacity, and I don’t think anyone would be happy if they have to keep replacing batteries all the time when they just want to shoot a few damn zombies or slice up some virtual fruit.

Lithium ion and lithium polymer cells are now a tried and proven technology, with voltages and capacities far beyond anything you’ll get from a disposable alkaline battery or a NiMH rechargeable. Li-Ion can run power-hungry devices for days and charge quickly, lithium polymer even more so (which would be my preferred choice of battery as long as it has a good quality charging circuit). A custom shaped LiPo cell could be moulded to fit the contours of the hand to enable the controller to be even more ergonomic, and no doubt would use a standard micro USB charging cable akin to the Vive wands.

Oh, and there’s no reason why the battery couldn’t be designed as a removable part, allowing you to swap out a dead one for a charged one in seconds. I would guess though that for the average user, a fixed internal battery will be more than sufficient for multiple play sessions.

Yep simple usb external battery bank Dollarama has one that’s 1800 or 2200mah & small.

EDIT: with the headset having usb-c ports the controllers like Antvr should be able to power the controllers as well.

Well, comparing the Touch with the Vive wands, it is obvious you have to recharge the Vive wands almost every day while the Touch will go on for weeks, months. But this surely will also be related to the Vive wands energy consumption to some degree, so you might see the same on the Pimax controllers.

If they go with rechargeable/ built-in batteries, all will come down to balancing performance and cost. I prefer the Touch solution in that case.

Indeed the touch has only lighting up the leds where as the steamvr controllers are powering Laser tracking pick ups & have to transmit not only controller input but also tracking info. Where the touch controller only has to transmit controller input; tracking is taken care of by the cams.

People tend to forget that both devices (Vive wands and Oculus Touch) contain high speed IMUs. The optical part of the tracking systems, alone, is not fast and fine-grain enough to track smoothly.

Both also have haptic “buzzers”, which should draw quite a bit of juice.

(For that matter; A LED, (which emits light just as the designation says. :P), should use a good bit more power than a photo diode, that just detects it. Those diodes, on lighthouse-tracked devices, are connected to circuitry that makes their effects more distinct, and so on, of course, but that should be negligible, and I doubt there is a great deal more processing done on a Vive wand, at the moment, than in a Touch controller; If nothing else, the latter needs, in addition to piping a steady flow of IMU data (just like the wand), to modulate the LEDs, for identification, so it’s not an entirely passive thing.)

I have no idea what it is that sucks so much juice in the Vive wands, but overall I can’t help but think that contrary to what use shows, they should bloody well not be significantly thirstier than their Touch counterparts. (…nor do I know how small the accumulators are, nor how large the actuators… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Reminds me of how my old comfy Logitech MX1100 wireless mouse would last months on an AA battery, but the newer and less ergonomic MX Master that replaced it, when I accidently dropped its predecessor into a cup of tea (sigh - yeah, yeah, go on, laugh), demands weekly recharges. :stuck_out_tongue:

As one with some arthritis in my thumb joints, I hate track pads. Ideally I would love Touch controllers with lighthouse support. They are really an elegant solution. One of the reasons I haven’t even ordered controllers is to wait and see who come out with what.
I remember the grief Oculus got for not having controllers at launch and that was when there wasn’t much available to take advantage of them. That Pimax hasn’t even locked down the design yet suggests they need to step up the effort considerably.

The touch controllers only need to power the ir led emitters just like trackir does; positional data is done by the cameras that use the ir arrangement (constellation) to track position on the same principle as navigating the stars. I could add a bunch of low powered ir leds to my wireless Logitech controller without losing much play time.

Now it would be interesting to see how efficient tracking v2 us for power draw.

Now the Vive wand has more ir less the equivalent battery capacity of a AAA battery @ 960mah. Where as AA varies but generally around 2000mah. But either way the Vive wand will use more power as tracks tge lighthouse beams instead of being tracked externally.

Sorry for the stupid Question, dident we already vote on that in the KickStart area?
Stick or Pad - choose your own I thought was the outcome.

Indeed I order both. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

OK, then I am on track :slight_smile: - I thing I took the pad variant for some arguments I forgot again :slight_smile:

I opted to have both for flexibility of using either or a mix

@Heliosurge would you hapen to be getting one of the dev kits next month?

Not sure. Though wouldn’t mind being a tester; just need more details.

I can only repeat what I wrote in the response you responded to, with the addition of mentioning that as far as I know, both SteamVR Tracking and Constellation do the actual calculations on the host computer.