[Pimax Official] 1.0.1.103 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

pimax-official

When rolling left and right in DCS, The landscape and buildings get blurring in my Oculas rift too sometimes. Still waiting on 5K+ preorder. To stop it on my Oculas, I have to restore nvidia default parameters in the nvidia control panel then change VR rendering to back to 3 in the control panel and it stops. It only blurrs the oculas when banking whenever I try to use Steam VR first to start DCS instead the Oculas home screen. It may not be a Pimax issue but steam or nvidia issue. BTW I have a Asus 2080 Ti Strix OC video card and 9900K CPU.

I never used SteamVr to start DCS and only Oculas Home screen or the third party DCS Updater Utility from Skate Zila and this problem only started when trying to start DCS from SteamVR. I hope I don’t need Steam VR to start DCS when using a primax 5K+ and hope I can start the sim through pitools instead.

But can you run tracking without SteamVR installed. For example pairing controllers to the headset runs steam’s pairing program from my understanding.

It can still be using steamvr resources without launching steam or steamvr.

I haven’t tried it without steamvr installed but you can pair the controller using pitool directly, it loads a pairing screen that doesn’t appear to be using steamvr. Might be using some of the files though, not sure

That would be the test we need Install Pitool without steam being installed & launch Oculus programs.

Why couldn’t reprojection run in a divisible of 3, so it would drop fps locked at 70 instead of 45. Right now it I even go a ms below 90 it gets chopped in half. By the way it’s doing this even with dork smoothing off lol.
I liked it better when it would just go below 90 as needed.

EDIT: You would expect to see a bunch of jumping/rubberbanding.

Guys, just confirmed some theories:

And yes, the theory that Steam only output 4096x2160p whatever you set at it’s supersampling is true.
Tested Subnautica with these settings:

• Pitool 1.75x + PP on + Normal fov + SmartSmooth at 80hz
  • Steam 75% + override at 5% (sorry i ended not writing down the %'s, but i kept it just above 4096 (4102 irrc)

And the image is ultra sharp and the FPS is very stable and smooth.
Funny thing is that the main menu logo still a little bugged, but nevertheless much more stable, the FPS really is locked at 32hz all the time !

With large FOV, i can’t lower steamVR enough to output 4096 or less, the minimal settings is 6016x5450 !? So i believe this is what actually is breaking the Large Fov SuperSampling. Even at the lowest possible settings it still way above the 4096 limit.

Really, Large Fov is still a WIP right now.

So, always use 1.75x in Pitool and control SteamVR to NEVER upscale more than 4096. IT WILL WASTE PRECIOUS GPU/CPU RAW POWER.

Played for some hours today using my Near PD instead of the IPD (64 instead of 69/70) and literally have 0 eye strain. So this write in stone that Pimax uses NPD not IPD. Cool.

Also made a Pitool NPD adjustment image.

Relax your eyes and move the IPD knob till all the lines and text focus and get sharper.

Just put this in your “C:\Program Files\Pimax\Runtime\resource” and restart the service “PiServiceLauncher” and enjoy !

With a budget of $1500-2500 WWYD - PC Build or nah?

Thanks for the image it works very well to set IPD :+1:

Thanks for this tool. Is this supposed to show up in the Pimax Home screen in place of the mountains and planets? For some reason I cant get it to work. Maybe Im not restarting PiServiceLauncher? Can you explain this, thanks!

This screen replaces the pimax logo that comes up when pimax hmd is first turned on, it’s not pimax’s home “room”

Ok I see, it comes on just as you turn on the HMD. But for some reason I cannot get the NPD image to come up. I even renamed the NPD image “pimax default” just like the Pimax logo was. I also tried removing the pimax logo from the resource folder, hmmm. I would really like to hve this :persevere:

This is why I just instructed people to reboot their PC after adding my version, easier for non-techies.

Your image looks much better than mine, I’m no image expert. Nice job!

Disable PiHome to get rid of tge planetscape. Atm it just wastes resouruces.

I got the Pimax 5k+ in January.

Congrats!

@Dallas.Hao please add to earlybackers.

Hello Pimax Team ! My Pimax 5k+ has been stolen by the carrier nearly a month ago, and still no reply from your side… Still waiting…

Just found this interesting tidbit of information on an optician’s forum:

You can also measure a Distance PD and calculate the Near PD for any reading distance using:
Near PD = [Distance PD mm * (10 * Reading Distance cm)] / [(10 * Reading Distance cm) + 27]
where the Reading Distance is given in centimeters and the PDs are in millimeters.

I know my IPD to be 65mm, so having that fixed and using @Douglaster 's test image, I should be able to dial in a Pimax IPD setting that should be my NPD. Getting that, we’d be able to calculate what the optician’s referred to as ‘Reading distance’, which from my understandinf is the focal depth of the HMD. AFAIK that number has not been commuincated yet and was a major talking point way back when Rift and Vive first launched, due to their different approaches (Rift fixed at ~2m and Vive at infinity).

Any thoughts?

Starting DCS without having SteamVR to run in the background is not possible, I am afraid. As far as I know, SteamVR is always needed to run any games with the Pimax? If you start DCS from the PiTool, SteamVR will automatically be started, too.

I did not have any stutters with the Oculus Rift in IL2 when rolling the aircraft, if I have stable 45fps with ASW enabled. So, I don`t think that the stutters are exclusively related to SteamVR. But maybe there is a problem with the combination PiTool - SteamVR when using Smart Smoothing?

How did you figure out the resolution 4096 x 2160? I did also the tests myself (Elite Dangerous Setup Guide - Lets make it Dark Again :)) and found out the max resolution given by OpenVR was 4096 x 3499.

Also, please note that the resolution OpenVR reports to the application is minimum recommended render target resolution and the application is free to choose higher res if it wishes (as ED does when pushed by an in-game setting - as I explain in my post)

If you set PiTool rendering quality to 1.75 you artificially increase the HMD resolution to the insane level and then must use even smaller SteamVR override settings to keep the recommended render target res below 4096 (since OpenVR will not suggest higher res anyway).

You can do it this way, but it is in no way better than keeping PiTool at 1.0 and adjusting SteamVR the same way, in fact by using much more aggressive SS (in both ways as in downsampling and upsampling) you have higher chance to introduce SS artifacts.

Your image suggests that you expect the optical center of the view for each eye to correspond to the center of the image. This can only work if the (center of the) image is moved by the headset together with the lenses movement, when adjusting the IPD, but if the image is just a static image applied to the panel, then hardfixing your eyes on the panel center for IPD settings will give you wrong configuration, because the panels are fixed in the headset while the IPD differs for each person.

Do we know that the static image is not repositioned in software corresponding to IPD adjustment? That is to say, do we have to have PiTool running for the sw/hw adjustment?