Pitool 1.0.1.111 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

Thx :slight_smile:

I already do and did so: Rebooted HMD, launched and closed PiTool, both normally as well as via Task Manager, closed SteamVR, shuted power off the HMD, restarted, rebooted Windows completely, switched FFR options, tried with Brainwarp ON, tried different combinations of those possibilities, no change in performance.

Curiously, I can SEE whether FFR is ON or OFF, with CONSERVATIVE already and AGGRESSIVE especially, I see it in SteamVR Home already.
But today, no impact on FPS at all, no matter what I tried. No idea, why…

Furthermore, evertime when powering up the HMD directly after Windows Boot, since .111 beta, Brainwarp is always ON, so I have to switch it OFF for that Windows session manually.

Is there somewhere some kind of ini or config-file I can check whether the correct settings are written to the HMD?

@Pimax-Support, I don’t know whether these specific problems are already known. Would be appreciated if you could have a look at them :slight_smile:

I was playing “The Red Stare” and had two problems.

1. for some reason it can only start with render quality 0.75
  2. FFR was way off… it did lower resolution on both sides of right eye and did nothing on left eye
    so there saw a blury viberating mess in the middle when looking with both eyes.
    by closing first one eye and then the other eye i could see that there seem to be no FFR in left eye and iin rigth eye FFR was active both on the outer edge and the inner edge. and it was an bi part of the inner edge.

for me it was as if FFR for the left eye was placed in the Rigth panel…

oh the game need Compatibility with parallel Projection to be on.

(the game are free on steam, and are very good if you like spy themed puzzle games. )

I just wish PP automatically kicks in.

Unfortunately, there’s no chance of automatic PP, once a game has started, because the setup conditions to render a game cannot later have such a drastic change applied.

However, a database of known games, could automatically apply the PP setting prior to running a game, but the game would need to be started through PiTool (unless there is some sort of callback from SteamVR prior to the game initialization).

Looks like we need games to natively support Pimax. Hopefully, they would like to update for Pimax and wide FOV after all its the future thanks to Pimax.

Actually, the games just need to use newer APIs and not assume a particular FOV. This will likely need to be done to support other future headsets. Older games may never get these enhancements, but future games (and those still under active development, like Elite Dangerous) will likely get these improvements.

Actually, from the game perspective, change from PP on to PP off (and vice versa) is equivalent to changing both an IPD and the render target resolution (while in game), i.e. something the game should support already.

The problem lies in Pimax software, which does not, at the moment, allow that change in the real time.

Even if a game supports those real-time changes, it’s changed under the control of the game (or app), usually via a settings UI. That’s something Pimax cannot do, without some sort of support from the game itself.

Not really. The game/app does not know (and does not need to know) anything about “parallel projection”, because the only inputs the game has (from the VR subsystem = OpenVR) are the two I named above: eye to head transform (a.k.a. IPD setting) and the render target resolution.

If implemented correctly, these values are evaluated before each rendered frame (=in real-time). No in-game user setting is necessary, nor desired.

The problem is with Pimax software, which, even when the PP setting is changed in the PiTool, does not propagate this change to Pimax driver, and/or does not support changing the pre-lens warp algorithms on the fly in Pimax compositor (pi_server).

There is no additional functionality needed from the app to support on the fly PP change (at least in OpenVR, where everything is already in place).

What we really need is app-specific settings to be saved and applied. It would still leave the general SteamVR SS setting to be a manual process, but that would certainly reduce the effort it takes to switch applications/games quite a bit !
As it currently stands, I might get me a Rift S. One of the reasons why I might be buying it is the ease of use - it‘s just discouraging to just quickly jump around a couple of games if you have to spend time each time to play with various settings (and check your notes to set them), restart SteamVR and/or PiTool etc… So I might end up using the 5K+ for specific games, while for those which I don‘t play with a greater intensity but like to hop in to once in a while, the Rift S may become the first choice. Just because I otherwise wouldn‘t really play them anymore.

Actually, SteamVR has already per app settings. It is really up to Pimax to implement the support for Pimax specific settings in their software.

Anyone running the latest PiTool, do you know if it still posts all clicks in the PiTool UI to Pimax server in the real time?

Yes, but you‘ve got both the per app and the general setting, and I‘ve seen lots of suggestions where these two were to be tweaked for the „ideal“ settings for a game.

Well, those suggestions were wrong. Tweak one or the other, as both are applied equally.

Is that confirmed ? Do the app-specific settinsg always overrule the general setting, i.e. the general setting applies for all apps/games where the user has not bothered to set specific values ?

They are multiplied.

I.e. 100% * 100% = 100%, 100% * 150% = 150%

Since when are games implemented correctly, instead of using shortcuts which “seem to work ok” and can be implemented more quickly? :laughing:

Not only that but if SteamVR needs to be reset for changes to take effect there is yet another layer. As some games require to exit before Steamvr SS changes become effective.

The fact that we need to restart SteamVR for some changes to take an effect (i.e. parallel projection) is not related to SteamVR (or the game itself), but to the way Pimax has implemented their driver and/or compositor.

What I was saying above is that there is currently no blocking point in OpenVR which would prevent Pimax from implementing the settings in a way so they could be changed on the fly. Pimax just chose not to do it this way.

If that was true than we’d need to reset the headset or piservice. If settings are loaded into memory then it would need to be midified in memory or re initialised.

Now did notice in the steamvr settings file where folks have modified resolution max there is a camera setting marked Paralell. Which suggests might be able to change to angled.