Pitool 1.0.1.111 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

I find no better perfomance in AC with FFR on. In Iracing also the new option SPS (sigle pass stero) of the last build in my system dont increase performance at all.(I7 8700 5 ghz, 2080ti, 32 giga ram 3.6 ghz)

The beta broke Dirt Rally, the game works again after I went back to 109

I used it in DCS… it worked

Edit: Just checked again - DCS 2.5 via Steam definitely show FFR in action! With BrainWarp and co it is actually really a playable game now! Latency is at 14-15ms for me.

Edit 2: go to instant action, when in the plane you get the info screen and the flying is still pause - if I look at the text straight and den turn my head left or right and watch the same text you can easily spot the FFR Zone - but it matches my peripheral vision perfectly unsharp where it should be - but I have to say that I used to wear glasses for the last’s 30 years - so I might be more used to the effect.

You are right, but the best thing to do is take @coconut s advice :laughing: Worth saving the extra performance hit I think!

Ok, I do one last try and ask again: does anyone, who is playing DCS or IL2 having that problem and seeing this, too:

Thanks for all your advices on performance and system specs, but I just want to know, if I am the only one with that problem in those two flight sims, which makes the sims barely playable for me, even in 72Hz mode, with SS enabled and rock solid 36fps.

While I would describe the performance in DCS as playable, I definitely have the same problem with stuttering to the sides while rolling. I also get terrible ghosting of objects such as on aircraft fly-bys.
This is something I can eliminate though, by turning down graphics settings waaay down (including super sampling) to a level I’m not willing to look at, and quite frankly, looks worse than first gen headsets. So even if it’s possible to appear to hold a certain fps, there’s another performance factor at play here.
This is with a 2080ti and 8700k at 5GHz

Thanks so much, bobo, your answer is of great value for me!
It confirms, what I already suspected. Whilst being able to maintain stable 36fps, it seems you have to be able to get way more fps to gain a smooth game play in all situations. But I am still asking myself, if the “rotational stuttering” is in some way related to Smart Smoothing, as I did not have that with my Rift and ASW running.

I’ve done more tests with FFR and IL-2. My first test crashed, so I quickly assumed that was it, but it turns out I “only” get a crash 2 times out of 10. Here are my observations:

1. To best measure performance, turn smart smoothing off. Keep it when playing, but not when measuring, as it can lead to big differences depending on when it’s active

2. I pushed the vertical resolution to 4100 pixels or so, in-game settings use “Low”

3. WIthout FFR, I get 45 FPS

4. With FFR I get between 60 to 65 FPS

5. The labels in PiTool seem to be wrong. IIRC, balanced is the most aggressive / ugliest, not sure about conservative and aggressive

6. I haven’t noticed differences in readability of the small labels (like “pitot on” in the left panel in the P39) when increasing resolution above 2500. There was however a difference on the side, where FFR was active. I’m not sure there’s any real gains to be had with resolutions above 3000 for the 5k+

So at least for this game, FFR is delivering.

I think I have noticed two different kinds of smoothing. When running at 72Hz, below 45 FPS I get artefacts in IL2 (wobbly sights, doubled objects when looking to the sides), above it’s mostly stutter-free (and without artefacts)

Maybe it was just a bug in PiTool. Steam VR was set up for 72FPS, but PiTool was supposedly set for 90Hz. Not sure who was right.

In any case, for simulations, I think it’s best to target 100% FPS, and count on smoothing only to save you. Other game types with less movement are better use cases for smoothing.

Your FFR results sound promising, thanks for sharing :slight_smile: Is quality reduction very noticeable in normal use?

Very interesting - my biggest issue with my Pimax atm is I find Smart Smoothing to be unusable. But I also noticed that sometimes it works better, then sometimes it works awfully. I think you are onto something. With 90hz it probably works better if system can produce 60FPS+, but between 45-60FPS it produces huge amount of artifacts, everything is doubled, blurried out.

Does IL2 need parallel projection workaround checked? I suspect that due to the fact that game I play does not respect orientation of Pimax’s panels, that might affect Smart Smotthing’s quality.

Completely agree that any perf testing has to be done with Smoothing off.

Hi,
i use google translator.

about oculus games, I went from 90 fps constant pitool v95 to 30 fps pitool v111, huge performance drop

Avec les meme réglages ?

So 111 has been out for a while, what is the consensus, worth the move from 109 or hold off?

yes, les meme réglages

Hi guys i installed this evening the new Windows update and I lost pimax home, neither I can see the standard image (with vrhome off), only black screen. If I start a game from steam it works well. Anybody notice the same?

I’m using it and haven’t had any problems.

No, but I haven’t installed it yet.

I had the same artifacts problem with project car 1 & 2 and DCS 2.5 and i fixed it by turning VSYNC on in all my VR games. I also left smart smoothing on. everything looks fantastic now.

asus z170 board
intel i7 7700k oc @ 4.9ghz, cpuz v-1.82.1 single thread benchmark score 580, multithread score 2960.
EVGA gtx 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 11gb ram boost clock 2025ghz
16gb 3100ghz ddr4 16-18-36 corsair ram
win 7 64bit
water cooled custom-loop

All tree huging features are disabled!!!
I turned off all energy saving features in BIOS for the cpu

does anyone know how to permanently lock at 72Hz. On my system it keeps changing back to 90Hz after a reboot. Is there an ini file or alike that can hold a permanent Hz lock?

I’ve seen this too. It’s probably a bug and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

5k+ backer here.
with pitool .109 and nvidia 419.17 I had the stuttering issue.
with pitool .111beta and nvidia 419.35, the stuttering problem is fixed but there is some kind of vibration around lines (not looking like aliasing, more like pixels moving around). also in steamvr home, when ffr is on, the processed area is very noticeable (big circle in the center, outer area is washed out, not blurred).