Pitool 1.0.1.121 Beta Test Release for Brainwarp 1.0

I did, but the image swim is massive. really it is unplayable when the peripheral vision is swimming like crazy

OMG! just wow… it’s like i just bought a new HMD. Something must be broken as i tried forcing my wallet into this 5k+ but not only was it not accepting it, it blatantly refused to render it in VR U_U.

Guys something else got adjusted under the hood. I was playing ED an hr ago before i noticed the Beta was up. After I installed it. I did not want to get crazy with settings testings

In my pitools previous and after the beta i set my brightness to high. I just set the contrast to -2 and per eye bright ness to -1

2 things ultimate popped to omg wow glory when i booted ED

1. digital vibrancy
  2. My mystery fix The Camera Depth

on point number 2 after this beta when i went to take off and land in the docking station I was tilting my head through shoulders with the HMD. I felt like i was actually in the 3d space as previously felt like i was the camera inside a 3D application if that makes any sense? like the camera render depth got fixed or something

Anyhow I am stoked, the only HMD i tried beside P-5K+ is a base samsung odyssey a co-worker let me borrow to try VR. With this update if any of you have multiple HMDs would love to see a comparison. I feel like this is the game changer and 5K+ with LCd just trumped an oled odyssey.

bit of blur by my iphone cam its clearer on the hmd.

Edit: found a pic i had posted on another thread prior to this beta update

Before beta:

After beta:

PS- I did follow the Let’s make Elite Dark again thread prior to the released pitool and now this beta

Great Job Pimax Team I look forward to what sort of wizardry you come up with next

Beside ED, for comparing black levels I would suggest:

• scanner sombre
  • assetto corsa night drive (at Spa for example)
  • war thunder night mission
  • pinballFX2
  • AFFECTED The Manor
  • face your fear (child room experience, free on oculus store)

+10

Thanks for the heads up on ED and it’s trimesink nature. I already have a timesink in Il2 BoS and I doubt I can invest in another.

The new PiTool is working well especially Smart Smoothing in Il2. Foreated Rendering not so great.
I have only bumped contrast up 1 step which helps but if you go to much contrast the clouds in Il2 blow out and yuou are blinded when flying towards the sun - more so than usual.

Haven’t found much use for the software IPD adjustment. I played with it but didn’t really find much in it over the headset dial.

I think a big thing to thank the devs for is the resume from sleep of the headset. I can go and do something or take a brake whilst VR software is running, come back pick up the headset and the screens resume without crashing. Very happy about that.

My 2cents on that beta.
The brighness/contrast sliders are a great addition. It allows me to balance a bit my Pimax uncalibrated screens (different colors.different brighness).
As other said, a RGB control could allow to balance the color issue between screens.
The smooth motion seems improved since last version. I noticed that fast moving objects (ships in space) where suffering from a strong visual ‘echoing’ tough.

My random tracking issues are still there unfortunatly (mainly when using 2 basestations), I start to think that my 5K+ is defective as few people complain about this.

But as a pingpong player (IRL and VR), I think that there is something wrong with what the headset ‘tells’ to Steam when playing Eleven or Racket Fury. Racket Fury is totally unplayable as most often the ball moves thru the paddle.
Eleven work a bit better but the tracking seems so innacurate that I felt like playing with a WMR headset. For what I know, Eleven rely a lot on maths to calculate the ball trajectory based on actual speed and angle of the controller. It seems that the Pimax break that maths a way or another (fps datas ?).
I played with Smooth motion disabled and 90hz.
Please Pimax, I’m pretty sure you have decent ping pong players in your team ( :)), please have a look at games that rely on accuracy with controller’s tracking/speed. OG Vive worked perfectly for that matter…

That’s a good idea, but I think it would be better to have both hue and saturation controls (per screen, with slider lock - I really like the slider lock control, btw!). This would allow people to boost the color, to make the LCD headset look a bit more like the OLED version. @Sean.Huang

Alright, after some testing here is my feedback;

1. The steam compositor/desktop overlay feels like it maybe isn’t as sharp as it used to be, unsure if that’s steam again or the pimax update.
  2. Currently, google earth VR does not work but it appears that it may just be a glitch in the game and not the headset, as people with vives appear to be having the same problem but thought I would let you know.
  3. Because the pimax has identified itself as a “Pimax 5K plus” now to steam, the game “sansar” (which previously got an update to support the pimax because of the naming convention that it would call itself a vive on steam) now does not work for the pimax, and has a glitch/ failsafe where you can look around in VR but can’t use your hands because sansar devs believed that if the headset doesn’t read as “on the user’s head” via some sensor/interface, then they will not track your hand movements in the game.
  4. I did also have a problem where I brought my pimax to another computer for a demo and their 2080ti did not tolerate the pimax turning off, once the pimax was turned off you would need to restart the computer entirely to even get the headset to display anything again, and the diagnose code would say “displayport disconnected”, but the computer in general was glitchy so it may not be the headset’s fault.

Great update overall, glad to see the heart you are putting into this headset!

I tried setting like a professional monitor in 8K.

Brightness : Low
Contrast : 1
Brightness : -4

This was the basic setting.
Black is the blackest and bright area tone will be not lost.

I did two tests.
Test1 : I replaced Pimax_default.jpg to gray chart.
Test2 : I displayed gray chart on Virtual Desktop.
Both got the same result.

If the contrast is +2 or more, the bright area tone will be lost.
Brightness gets dark to -4.

It is recommended to increase contrast in skyrim and movies.

Contrast : 2
Brightness : -2

Enjoy.

For Elite Dangerous on my 8K, I like these settings…
Contrast : 1
Brightness : -1

While space should be black, I found that decreasing the brightness too much causes a loss of detail around nebulas.

The colors just need a tiny bit more saturation I think. Also, my right screen is a bit more purple-ish than my left, but I think that’s the better one, so my color is slightly off to begin with.

The same thing happened to me as it did to you, I didn’t even work any game that I use regularly as elite, pcars, aerofly, I tried to downgrade the firmware and return to pitool 111 and even so it didn’t work for me. Finally uninstall steamvr and start the games from the pitool and now if I work with the beta 121, I hope you can fix it, a greeting!

Here is my feedback on the news settings:

Soft IPD:

Software IPD is a game changer :slight_smile:

When I received my HMD (5K+) I was disappointed by the high level of eyestrain that neither manual IPD nor optimizing HMD fit on my face were able to fix.

I was putting that on the lenses and was preparing myself to the need to try to adapt to it (and eyestrain was made even worse due to the heavy distortion, even in normal fov, and by the fact I was seeing the HMD black frame around my nose) .

Testing with +1 software IPD immediately made some magic: the eyestrain was significantly decreased and for the first time I was surprised to feel having a “single image” or “unique wide fov”.

This is because the +1 soft IPD helps me merge the image from both eye by making the black frame around my nose disappear (it still can see it from time to time, if for example I relax my sight and make my eyes focus as if I was looking at the panels/lenses very near, but when looking at some distance the black frame disappears and the FOV becomes unified. Great improvement !

Brightness/contrast:

I first tried it in the steamVR home. Lowering the brightness makes the perceived black blacker and the colours more saturated, while increasing the contrast makes the whole scene brighter which makes daylight a more believable level (a sunny day doesn’t look like a cloudy day).

Now this can’t do magic, it can only improve the perceived black (= black areas in a well lit environment, because bright areas make you perceive blacks blacker than they really are) and dark scene will still be much better with an OLED screen.

I have also tried it in scanner sombre, in this game contrast set to the max makes the color very vivid (as good as it was on OLED) but decreasing brightness won’t make the blacks blacker (because the scene is too much filled with black so you will always see it is dark grey instead of deep black like with an OLED. But then the more you scan the environment, adding those bright coloured points, the more the “perceived black trick” begins to work. But then you walk to an unscanned area, filled with black, and you see dark grey blacks again).

All in all this still makes a game like scanner sombre much more enjoyable than it was without the customized brightness/constrast. Not as immersive as with an OLED, but at least helps make the “LCD grey black compromise” more acceptable (but I still want a RGB OLED HMD, or any display tech that will provide the same sharpness than the 5K+ but with deep blacks).

Suggestions for improvements:

With just trying at the steamVR home I could already see contrast can’t be used above 1 because it will burn the clouds in this scene (and it will be the same for many games, the max usable contrast value before burning whites will just vary depending on the game content).

This is annoying because setting contrast more than 1 still has positive effects you would want (like making sunny daylight scene look even closer to real sunny daylight luminance level).

Other feedbacks here already explained how the same happens with brightness crushing the dark details when set too strong below 0 (this useable level will also vary depending on game content).

This is expected with only simple contrast (= white level) and brightness (= black level) settings.

Adding a gamma setting setting would already help, because gamma just changes the curve of the greyscale without affecting black level and white level (= no crushed blacks and no burnt whites).

A colour saturation setting would be nice too.

However, the best setting would be an RGB adjustment by IRE like I already suggested.

Here is how it works:

A global RGB setting will let you change R, G and B levels “over the entire image”.

An RGB by IRE let you do that for several ranges of pixel luminance.

0IRE is black while 100IRE is 100% brightness (max bightness or pure R, G, B, so white at max brightness).

Then every 10IRE you can set R, G and B modifiers (+1, -2 etc).

This is the most advanced way to make a display calibration without using an ICC profil.

Let see what it will let you do:

When you want to set a colour temperature, let say 6500K, you want this temp to be maintained accross the whole greyscale (from black to white). But using a colorimeter will show you can have 6500K at 70% brightness but 7000K at 100% brightness and 5500K at 20% brightness.

With an RGB by IRE you can adjust that. In the above example you would adjust R,G, and B at 80, 90 and 100IRE to stay at 6500K, and same at IRE levels below 70.

I have that on my plasma TV, I have initially had improvements by adjusting by eye, but of course you will get the best result with a colorimeter (but you still do the adjustment with the RGB by IRE as the goal is just to not need an ICC profil at the source signal. This means this RGB by IRE wouldn’t be necessary if pitool could use ICC profils, but then people not equiped with a colorimeter couldn’t do an adjustment by eye).

A gain adjustment by IRE also let you build refined gamma curves:

A standard gamma setting will let you chose between predefined gamma curves. This can be tweaked further with a “gain by IRE” setting (my TV has this too). This is the same principle as the RGB by IRE but instead of adjusting R, G and B levels for each IRE step (IRE ranges) you just adjust the global gain for each IRE (R+G+B gains at the same time).

Let take an example like ED with black space but with low brightness objects like an area with blue gaz like in the screenshots taken by sweviver in the thread where he tests the brightness/contrast.

You may like the look of the image with a gamma set to 2.4 because it makes your ship dashboard well contrasted with vived perceived colours. But this gamma setting will reduce the luminance of the low luminance objects too much, making them displayed the same luminance as the black space (because lcd black is not black but dark grey, which means 0IRE may be displayed the same than 3IRE for example, so everything in the 0-3IRE range will not be visible).

If you want to make the dark object to stay visible in the black space you then need to use a lower gamma setting (like 1.8). But then this will also affect your dashboard that is a much brighter object and with this 1.8 gamma the dashboard colours will not be as vivid as with gamma 2.4, the whole image will be more “flat”.

With a “gain by IRE” setting you can chose a main gamma of 2.4 to have the vivid colour look, and then make a “by IRE adjustment” over that to boost just the lowest luminance levels to keep low luminance objects visible.

Below is gif exemple of that with my TV using an ED image from sweviver thread.
It compares -50 vs +50 for 10IRE (this is the setting range my TV offers) .
See how it reveals dark details while still keeping the same overall gamma for the rest of the image ? (thx helio for fixing the animated gif :stuck_out_tongue: )

10IREboost

+1.5 ipd has improved this for me too. near ipd is 63 but setting hardware ipd to 60, ipd offset to 1.5, then moving the hardware ipd to 62 has improved the strain a lot.

also setting contrast to one and brightness to -4 improved color and darkness

How about compatibility to older steamVR versions (before 1.3.0)? Running actually a version from October 2018 which is much more performant in Dirt Rally and RaceRoom Experience.

Had the same problem with Beat Saber actually. I get a few misses when I shouldn’t be since I’m pretty sure I hit them. Never had this issue with the Vive HMD on. Is there an input lag due to the software? Tried lowering resolution to the point where Beat Saber looks like Minecraft and it doesn’t seem to fix the issue. Tried going back to the Vive and had no issue hitting boxes. But this doesn’t happen all the time, mind you, though it’s still irksome when it does happen.

But a massive improvement in terms of adjustability nonetheless!

Smart Smoothing has more ghosting than previous drivers. I hope they fix this. If they think this way provides more smoothness at the expense of ghosting than maybe they can give us some option for it. Like: Light, Medium, Hard.

Dirt Rally is still jittery (input lag) with new steamvr beta and current Pitool.
Its working ok with steam vr 1.1.3 or older

If somebody needs it here is a link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QGS8v36mrh7COTDNgDv2fLW1H1LF4Eve/view?usp=sharing

Everything is downloaded in archive, you just have to delete the folder “SteamVr” (steam / steam apps / common / steamVr) replace it and you will come back to the version before the cursed 1.1.3.

I’m disappointing with this pitool. FFR doesn’t work in my flight simulators. Pimax said that this would be the hmd for flight simulators and so on. Even with FFR disable, DCS has like two mask sometimes white, others red that don’t allow me to view the game properly. Besides that, smart smoothing doesn’t activate in the game.
In FS2, the FFR isn’t working too.
I have updated nvidia drivers and a 2080ti.
Thanks.

Yeah, same here. Lone Echo also looks weird…gamma/contrast issue?