Quality of upscaler on 8K?

What is the quality of the upscaler on the 8K please?

I’m slowly learning about supersampling, resolution, upscaling etc and I may be wrong but it seems like there are various algorithms of upscaling and various qualities of upscaler. Bad upscaling can make things look blurry but some are really quite impressive and seem like the add good data somehow or help with anti-aliasing.

Some reports from Berlin suggest the 8K looks a bit blurry and not as sharp as the 5K+. I wonder if this is just because the upscaler didn’t receive an input supersampled well enough or if the upscaler is just not very good.

If we’re dealing with a substandard upscaler chip then perhaps it’s better to go with the 5K+. Or can the algorithm of the upscaler be changed somehow in software? I don’t know how it works. Is it a good one?

I’m hoping come the 16th we have a solid hour of video reviews covering this topic.

I think this is a matter of subjective preferences depends on usage.
I just want to say it is hard to tell someone which is better. There is something for sure, best possible will be to have match native resolution with display max resolution. 9K is upscaling picture what is making it slightly blured but in the way like 4K blurred picture because of that difference between 4K and 1440p resolution from an output, but this 4K display has better PPI so less SDE. 5K give you sense of more sharpen picture but just because 1440p matched in native resolution and display resolution.
So this depends on users personal preferences and its needs and for that, we will have to wait some more detailed reviews and comparison to make the decision what someone wants for himself. Nothing else, right now we don’t know what is better for who.

Sit somewhere comfy. Prepare your mind for ultimate maximumness.

Oh ok guys… forgive my ignorance on this topic but I was thinking perhaps some upscalers are known to be good or bad based on specs/brand/algorithm etc and I thought perhaps some of the clever tech boffins here would be able to say “The one used here is a top quality one whch should do well with a good supersampled input” or “It’s a cheap one known to be a bit crap” or even “the upscaler chip itself means nothing, it all depends on the algorithm within it which can be changed in software.” If it’s just a case of “we don’t actually know, the only way of telling is based on reviews” then that’s fine. :slight_smile:

Well, given that the 4K already used an upscaler, given that that speicifc upscaler is known and given that we know (i think) what upscaler is used in the 8K, I guess some cracks such as @sjefdeklerk could be able to answer your question.

What isn’t known, on the other hand, is how that upscaler manages to work with two rather than one panel, how the lense configuration plays into preceived image quality, how much of the two panels is actually used, how the 8K handles upscaling etc., so I guess the only viable conclusion at this point is to wait for the full reviews indeed.

I get what you say. I was excited about the 8K because my Sony Bluray will upscale DVD’s to near bluray image quality. At least it appears that way to me. It really seems to add detail some how? Knowing this, I was expecting the image to improve 50% over native. I’m disappointed to learn this won’t be the case, and in fact the image seems to be degraded…

You will :slight_smile: no worries

Based on some reviews. I suspect it’s very dependent on the image it’s fed. Feed it a rubbish image and it may not do so well. Feed it a well-supersampled image and may do a much better job.

I’m guessing/hoping the reviews will say "if you have a 1080 or less go with 5K+, but if you have a 1080Ti or will get better than a 1080Ti then the 8K will really shine after being fed a well supersampled image.

I’m thinking that’s the case, but my worries are that is even the 2080ti enough for 8k on high demanding games with high quality settings if you have to apply a lot of SS :roll_eyes:

EDIT2 hmm went through the Pimax 4k firmware and my notes, I see I never actually saved something regarding the scaler, so I’m not even sure if the Pimax 4k uses Analogix … IF they switched vendors, then the culprit might be the scaler indeed

There are a few games i would like to see performance on , hellblade is one as its minspec was a 1080 for vr. i know sweviver is testing it at the very least, and i’m really curious to see if even his 1080 ti can deal with it.

I am especially interested in whether future firmware/software updates could improve upscalling and the 8k image.
It will be a big factor on which HMD I choose.

Just integrated a Raspberry Pi And let us fix it (kidding).

Does anyone know if the scaler is updateable?

I think it’s been said around here that it’s not upgradeable by software.

Who knew that Pimax made ANOTHER new headset without telling anyone.

They realized they couldn’t solve the high FOV issues through conventional means, so they glued a 4K and a 5K together and called it a day.

The 4k apparently uses from my understanding Toshiba Bridge chip that og vive & Oculus used. No upscaler in either the toshiba or currently released Analogix bridge chips. The scaler is seperate.

Now the upcoming Bridge chips the anx7538/9 chips have built in scalers (That you had posted about).

Samsung is it? Though could be interesting with their work on AI scaler.

The scaler chip’s algorithm is most likely firmware based. As such, the only way that it could be updated is if Pimax was able to get different firmware from chip manufacturer and designed the headset’s PCB to enable that functionality. I doubt either of those is the case.

I was just thinking if the firmware was flash memory, then updating the algorithm down the road would be possible.