Recommended Computer Specs for Pimax 8k

Brainwarp was not demoed yet in the roadshows or with william’s through the lens videos.

One of the laptops was running a 1070 & the other a 1080 laptop gpu.

@Heliosurge
So the pimax video is fake where you can see 21 million pixel internal steam render resolution at ss= 1.0? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7boC8Gw2W48

Why would it be fake? The rendered resolution doesn’t equal headset input Resolution or the headset resolution.

Now pimax uses its own render with its own render multiplier. Truth if its like the 4k; i beleive the steam ss settings don’t do anything as steam is not rendering the game.

surely then all the videos are fake, and the testers are lying about playing skyrim on their 1080 for 5 hours. The scales are on one side, all the videos are faked, and they have a gpu 25 percent faster than a 1080ti and the testers are in on it, and on other side, that number is arrived at for pimax and shown in steam vr differently to how a vive number is derived and shown.

So the steam information of renderres is wrong or nonsense? In my understanding this value shows the pixel amount send to the gpu after multiplied with the pimax internal rendermultiplier. This 21.8MP is not my assumtpion but is shown in an official pimax video. Is it correct that there is no pimax video where the fps are shown?

The 8k, works the same way as the 4k. Since using piplay 2.x pimax moved away from steamvr compositor. They use piplay own renderer, if you then decide to change steamvr SS. That is upto you… It will have no impact on your content because it does not use it… It will however impact on your GPU resources. If you are still using the PiPlay 1.1.92 then that will indeed be using steamvr compositor as it is a 1.x version and Pimax only releasedbtheir own from 2.x

As @Heliosurge said… Pimax have been demoing the 8k on a 1070 for most of the iterations of the 8k and recently on a laptop with a 1080. And they have been working fine.

For an overview of what is needed for the 8k you need to check the pimax website.

As @Enopho stated with the Pimax 4k in version 1.1.92 it used the steam compositor. When the team started developing & deploying their own custom vr driver it no longer used steamvr’s render.

At time of release the pimax render was not as polished for visual quality & required alot of tweaking. During this time it caused confusion as we were using Steam’s Screenshot feature from the desktop mirror which would give 2 or 3 pics & of course the resolution of one of the pics would equal the Target Resolutuon. Because Steam was no longer in control the screenshot provided a strange resolution value. This caused us alot of confusion & upset at that time as it had felt like a downgrade. But this is no longer the case as their driver has matured quite well.

The Pi Render is on par to potenially better than when they had piggybacked on the steam render.

@Enopho@heliosurge
thanks for the detailed clarification, so the steam value is inactive/incorrect shown in the video because bypassed by the piplay driver/software?

For example the oculus rift have a physical resolution of 2,6 megapixels but upscaled at default to 4,3 megapixels, thats 65% plus.

The pimax have a physical resolution of 7,3 (2560x1440x2) megapixels but upscaled (like every other headset on the market) to…MP by piplay. I am interested in this value. I assume its roughly the same 65% so we ends up with 12 megapixels. That looks much better than 21.8mp :blush:

thank god for og pimax users to fill in these gaps.

That is basically correct.

Now keep in mind a display can only display Native panel resolution; whether it is fed a higher or lower resolution.

Depending on application will determine if upsampling or downsampling or pure native input is best.

For example a graphic Artist is likely to want pure native input without sampling upbor down.

The benefit to rendering a higher res & downsampling is potenially higher quality image without the need to use Antaliasing (reduction of the jaggies) for less gpu stress.

Years ago before I was educated on Native Res. I almost bought a cheap Projector that supported 1080p but only had a native res of 640*480. Lol

I am not an expert but I learned every headset has an internal resolution to a fixed value (roughly 65% more than the panel res) to have headroom to correct/equalize optical distortion and chromatic aberation. I think this higher internal res is not the same as upscaling to fix jaggies like supersampling.

to be fair to the other users out there… it is not uncommon for people to go messing with steamvrs settings when using the 4k… then they complain of poor performance and stuttering. in essence what they were doing was using piplay to set their render scale (say 2.5) and then getting the steamvr to increase it another 2.0 or something as well as adding some in game sampling as well…

piplay slider sets the render for visual quality.
steamvr tries to apply the SS on top … but it does not add it to content but will still use additional GPU resources
game options adds additional graphics settings.

so just set the steamvrs settings to the standard 1.0 etc… and use piplays visual quality slider and tweak in game settings like shadows etc

you will have a much better experience.

here are my settings for steam and piplay, note i do use a 1080ti

Eno

Also, many newer games, like Elite Dangerous, use “deferred rendering” which is incompatible with standard anti-aliasing techniques, so you really do need to use super-sampling to get rid of the jaggies.

As to the viability of a 1070, I think it depends on the game. Fruit Ninja is probably a lot less demanding that Elite Dangerous, for example. Also, Pimax didn’t specify the graphics quality. That means, ED is probably OK with Low Quality settings, which is reasonable, considering that tho 1070 is a the bottom of the acceptable GPU range.

I plan to get an 1180Ti, once it’s finally available. I think that anything less will not give me the graphics quality and framerate that I crave.

Hi @neal_white_iii

Here are some videos of Elite Dangerous from my setup… i use a GTX 1080ti. maxed out in Piplay render @ 3.0 and VR Ultra in game settings. no jaggies, no stutter, smooth gameplay.

the 1st 2 videos are recorded in high FPS (around 90-120fps) at 1080p and the last one in 4k 60fps

enjoy :slight_smile:

Eno

That looks great. Thanks for sharing! Were those filmed through the 4K lens?

I’m assuming running at 60 Hz framerate is not triggering nausea, which means that 80 Hz for the 8K might not be a problem at all, for seated VR games.

they were all recorded using dxtory so no not through the lens.

for me to play the game properly and have a GoPro 6 black jammed in my eye socket while playing the game is really hard. the only video i did with a through the lens was using my phone. .but does not give me huge resolution as its a average phone, so the grain effect is terrible on the recording (don’t help i play in a dark room!) :wink:

William will have a better setup for through the lens video, as he is supposed to be presenting them.

and no i dont have nausea at 60htz, its just buttery smooth.

This has been already discussed in the past, see my comments on the topic below. Needless to say, it was never clarified by Pimax. Now, if Pimax does not use SteamVR compositor as suggested by @Enopho, what are those resolutions shown in the SteamVR control panel saying? Or are they completely arbitrary? I always believed that such resolutions at such refresh rates were completely out of reach of any GTX, not only 1070, which was used by Pimax for the demo. Unless they were rendering very simple scene.

Not quite understand how to determine comparable SS value.
So let do some math here. Vive/CV1 res is 1080x1200=1296000 pixels in general.
Pimax8K/5K is 2560x1440=3686400 so this is 2.8 times more pixels in general.
Horizontally it is 2560/1080=2.4 and vertically is 1440/1200=1.2.
So what is a proper value for SS here, General pixels in this case 2.8 or just horizontal in this case 2.4 or just vertical which is 1.2? Or maybe it is something in between horizontal and vertical in this case 1.8?
Also, there is the question is how much game actually rendering? In that I mean it is not rendering only what we can see no matter is it monitor or VR FOV. Is the game engine rendering 180° or full 360° or maybe it is FOV plus some additional degrees?
This is not my claims it is real questions which will be good to explain by someone whit better knowledge of this matter. All this aspect is the matter about how much powerful hardware we need for Pimax8K compared to devices we got right now on market.

I can supersample 1.5 my vive pro comfortably with 1080ti so would expect similar SS with the pimax will be possible , we will have to wait I guess to get any figures or possibilities .

I was showing my steamvr setting to iterate that pimax on any piplay higher than 2.x does not use steamvr. It uses the PiPlay renderer which I set to the max. 3.0

My visuals in game are pretty sweet, and as you can see I dropped steamvr to its lowest settings