Recommended Computer Specs for Pimax 8k

If you set piplay switch to 3.0 with steamvr set to 0,6 is equivalent as piplay to 1,8 with steamvr set to 1,0 …0,6x3,0=1,8.
I realize this equivalence while I play to Assetto Corsa.

Still no.

I can’t stress this enough… PIPLAY USES ITS OWN RENDERER… IT DOES NOT USE STEAMVR, SO NO SETTINGS IN THERE MATTER!

Getting fed up repeating myself

As Eno said Pimax uses its own renderer. Steamvr’s SS is for the Steamvr renderer which is not being used.

Thank you… Thought I was talking to myself

This information would have been handy, back when we began to get screenshots of the SteamVR status panel, and confusion arose. :7

So how exactly does this pipeline work, from beginning to end, and back again? Numerous questions arise; I started to type them out, but decided it became too much…

I would imagine (though don’t know for sure) that Oculus & Osvr does the same.

Which is why Oculus titles on steam that don’t have Vive(SteamVR) direct support need to use Revive. Ie Dirt Rally & Dying Light.

When you install piplay there are entries into windows registry & steamvr settings file.

Dying Light @Enopho can give you reccommendations for settings.

As for Pipeline @sjefdeklerk could likely give some technical details as he identified that Pimax was rendering at Qhd res after they started buildiing their Steam compatiable Renderer.

i do not claim to be a Pimax engineer. but i know what, when and why they changed compositors.

Piplay 1.x (up to and including 1.1.92 piplay) - Pimax was using steamvr compositor, there was no render slider in Piplay at that time, and in fact it worked pretty well. But it was very difficult to get started … lots of unplug this and restart that. and you DID indeed use steamvr’s

Pimax had made a decision to move away from Steamvrs compositor and would work on their own one… mainly so they had better control of the render and for future devices… i.e. 8k wide FOV etc.

so they released Piplay 2.0. (using a basic version of the piplay render slider) - its renderer was laggy, stutters and freezing on all apps/games and youtube vr content. pretty much all users of the pimax 4k stayed with the 1.1.92 version as there was little ghosting and smooth gameplay. everyone wondered why Pimax moved away from steamvrs compositor but Pimax insisted that this was their focus and would be enhancing their renderer.

there were a number of other versions in the 2.x range that were improvements but none of them were as smooth and as ghost free as 1.1.92, so alot of the Pimax members stayed with 1.1.92. then the last 2 .x versions that came out had matched the ghosting of the 1.1.92 and also had some additional features that steamvr did not. giro calibration, increased brightness, horizon leveling. these additional features allowed latest version of 2.x piplay to best the 1.1.92 piplay that used steamvrs compositor. and pretty much all of the piplay users moved to that version.

not saying that it was an easy transition though, as we all remembered the 8-10 versions from 2.0 to the latest 2.x version and each version had its issues… but the latest version in the 2 series is very good.

Pimax then continued optimizing their piplay renderer into the 3.x versions, however from this Pimax owner that renderer is not as good as the latest 2.x one. on my setup i get some micro stutters in game and i drop about 5fps in ED. so i will stick to what i like. others here have said they are ok, so its a ‘try before you buy’ kind of thing.

so basically…if you use piplay 1.1.92 then you use steamvrs compositor
if you use anything over 2.0 then it uses piplays compositor and it ignores steamvr
if you are using 3.x it also uses piplays compositor and ignores steamvr.

I hope this helps?

Eno

Yes, SteamVR shims itself between the game and the Oculus Runtime in some manner, trying to use as much of the functionality of the latter as possible, over its own (including reprojection).

None the less, using SteamVR with an Oculus Rift is a bit of a nightmare, as the two interfaces fight it out over resources, settings, overlays, inputs (the conflict with menu buttons, alone… Argh!), etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a beginning, thanks!

Would really like to know how the interactions go, and why presented numbers ostensibly differ from actually used ones (SteamVR, after all, tells the game what size bitmaps to render, when SteamVR is the API the game is written against) (…or maybe they don’t differ, and things are really rendered at an insanely high resolution, resulting in the expected performance hit, and then it’s just a matter of the difference being unnoticeable due to diminishing returns), and just when and where, and how, under what conditions, overlays from the SteamVR compositor (…which has its own, separate supersampling value), gets drawn in (chaperone, control/store panels, controller models, etc).

“3” on the Piplay Quality slider means make the render target three times normal width and three times the height, does it, or it it something else?

3.0 on piplay is a quality slider not a height/width slider… put it down to 1.0 and its standard quality … i suspect a bit like 1.0 in steamvr. push it up it increases the gpu stress but it also increases the visuals. no jaggies, no screen door, smooth text and better definition. then i also increase in game settings… like vsync on, shadows to high etc etc.

when I play Elite dangerous I always play on the 4k. i also have my steam broadcasting enabled for public view… so if you want to see it live. just search up ENOPHO in steam … add me as a friend and i will be happy for another watcher while in game.

Hmm, I find myself really curious about know how this “quality” is achieved exactly, if it does not involve any manipulation of the render target size, in either direction, and what the number corresponds to in a more technical sense. :7

@bacon Hi Bacon, are you able to provide some additional technical info on how the render slider works in Piplay please.
Thanks
Eno.

I have added a shoutout to one of the technical people at Pimax to comment. If Bacon does not know he will know someone who does :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Always easiest with these sort of things laid out in the open - less guesswork and black magic, then. :slight_smile:

Run Unity Chan & press Spacebar it does appear to multiply both resolution values.

Here is link

Don’t remember what piplay render was set to.