Removing the shutter glass

Anyone remember the Blublocker sunglasses? (yellow lenses)

What about looking for a cellphone screen protector with filtering?

I know the blublicker sunglasses made things seem brighter while protecting the eyes.

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pimax Competition: other HMD’s

Pimax Competition: other HMD's
Pimax Competition: other HMD's

@Davobkk @industria Please keep it polite guys and refrain from insults. I’ve deleted the insults from your posts above. Also this is not really the topic to have this discussion, better go here.

Last warning guys, please, this is a thread about the blue light filter, not about what’s the best headset out there. You can have that discussion here

Figured out msg moving. Move there discussion to proper forum topic. :v::wink::+1::sparkles:

Hi guys,

You are wrong, this is NOT a color filter !

This Glas is shuttering between transparent and black at the frame rate and open a short transparent window to the screen at the optimal pixel saturation.

Shortly said, this shutter Glas compensate the weakness (slow response time) of the display in a certain way.

(by the way, a good idea but nothing goes above a heigh speed OLED display :smile: )

And yes this shutter glass worse the image quality.

Best,
Kermit

I’m not sure where you’ve got that info ? But it IS a blue light filter. You can turn it off in settings, it’s actually called ‘turn on cool colours’ in your settings, in which it will turn OFF the blue light filter and hence the image gets more blue.

So: “turn on cool colours” = turn off blue light filter = screen gets more blue.

I would reduce or increase the blue color directly via a color lookup table , cost nothing just software. So you can save money for a hardware blue light filter.

At 1st
On the other hand I checked the pixel response time (at the transparent point in time through the “filter”).
Seems to be that the glass are shuttering with the frame rate.

Secondly
If I shutoff the “filter” also the shutter then , there is a wash-out effect of the picture if you’re moving your head. You can see a fuzzy blurred picture.
Reason is the slow response time of each pixel (display). The time which the pixel need to change there brightness and color.

My understanding of the shutter is to black-out the transition between stable brightness and color saturations of the pixel.

Negative effects are, overall brightness are strongly reduced ( maybe by 70%) and must be compensated by higher backlights brightness.

But maybe I’m totally wrong !

Best,
Kermit

In fact, after removing the blue light filter, I had similar guesses based on the changed results. Pimax calls it “brainwarp”. If you do not have a lens and rotate your head, the image will be blurred, and when you install the lens, brainwarp will display the image clearly. It is not perfect, but produces an afterimage effect.
The following is an excerpt from the 8K article (http://www.roadtovr.com/hands-pimaxs-8k-headset-proves-high-fov-vr-coming/).

All that aside, how exactly do Pimax expect people to drive two sets of 4k displays at higher enough refresh rates needed for good, low latency VR? Enter ‘Brain-warp’. Brain-warp is a technique where you render and display an image to one eye only, and then render and display for the other eye, in a sequence such that one eye is seeing an image and the other isn’t at any given moment in time. This way, they’re actually rendering a single 4K image at 120 times a second, but the user perceives it as a complete 8K image at 120Hz. How? Because that frequency is high enough that we don’t perceive that one eye is blind while the other isn’t, at least for a tiny fraction of a second. It’s like raising one hand to one eye, lowering that hand and raising your other hand to your other eye, and doing that very so fast that you simply don’t notice it. Active-shutter 3D glasses use the same concept, often at the same 120Hz refresh rate.

Interesting but I do think you’re wrong: I’ve checked in the FW code that ‘turn on cool colours’ does not do anything with the panel at all, it really only seems to de-activate the filter. I agree that it would have made sense to simply reduce the blue amount in the panel’s colour, like you can do with the ‘blue light filter’ in for example the Galaxy s8.

So, if your theory would be right, then you’d see much more ghosting/fuzziness when you’d select ‘turn on cool colours’ OR when you’d simply disconnect the cables to the filters (and keep the filter in place). I myself don’t notice that.

EDIT Well actually I’m now starting to doubt what I’ve just written :slight_smile: I’d need to check the FW code again, there might actually be a chance that you’re correct. Interesting, I’m going to look into this again.

What you guys are saying does make sense …

With the blue light filter removed, I’ve found that ‘turn on cool colors’ can change the brightness of the screen. So I understood that it works regardless of the lens. so I speculated that the lens is involved in blue light interception, vertical stripes, flashing lights, darkening, and ghosting.

@crony and @Kermitkong you guys are actually right about the colour ! I’ve just re-checked it in the firmware code. Depending on the ‘cool colour’ setting in the Piplay settings it sets 3 registers (0x20002BE0, 0x20002BE1 and 0x20002BDF) and those 3 registers are checked in the display panel configuration code where it initializes the display panel itself with different settings !

So it’s not the ‘blue light filter’ that change the colour at all, just like crony just said in his last post, it’s the panel itself.

So if the ‘blue light filter’ does not do any ‘blue light filtering’ then it actually might do something different like shuttering :slight_smile: It would make a lot of sense, I think you guys are right.

Great analysis. It is a very envious talent. Lol
I guess the lens will work as soon as it is connected. The lens also seems to have SDE reduction technology (like Diffusion film technology applied to osvr lenses)

@crony @Kermitkong @sjefdeklerk great work guys. Its great work to all figure this out. I was wondering why a simple thing such as blue light filter would need electric connection to the board?

I am leaving the ‘filters’ off for now. I wonder if there is a film that can be applied to the lenses to reduce the ‘glare’ ?

Of course it’s shuttering. How could you not realize from day one their idea of a blue light filter is actually just a round form of shutter glass? It’s so obvious! They use an overly bright LCD panel which is no way suitable for VR. Their idea of blue light cut technology is just their way of stopping the LCD from completely destroying your eyes

First of all I had to edit your post again to remove the insults. This is already the 2nd time that I had to do that. You’re more than welcome to discuss here in a polite way like all other users do. If you can’t do that your account will get banned.

Second of all you seem to have failed to understand everything that was discussed here. Re-read the last few posts. We all figured the ‘filter’ was a way to protect your eyes from the beginning. It now seems that was wrong. It’s not a ‘protection’ for your eyes. It also doesn’t make sense, if brightness would have been a problem, why not dim the brightness like you can do on any smartphone ? The panel is almost completely identical as in the Sony Z5 premium, In fact, it’s the exact same model, it’s just one revision newer than the one Sony uses. And like mentioned, ‘blue light’ can also be electronically dimmed, just like Pimax actually did (the “cool colours on/off” is just an LCD setting, it’s NOT processed by the shutters)

The reason Pimax has put those shutters in must have been to overcome LCD ghosting. Just like everybody said, without the shutters there’s much more ghosting (I failed to see it myself at first but it’s indeed true). I think their idea was that if you use shutter technology you can dampen the panel’s ghosting.

Several people reported that they feel more nauseaus using the Oculus at 90 hz than the Pimax at 60 hz. I now think it must be because of those shutter glasses.

Quoting on my phone isn’t playing nice. Grrr. Lol

I agree with the shutter glass filter being used as a method to over come limitations of the lcd panel.

As you & others have mentioned about nausea on rift/vive while many folks not experiencing on PiMax.

The active shutter serves many purposes:

It does serve as a blue light reduction & i would theorize other potentially damaging elements of the light spectrum.

By blinding one eye at a time it gives the eye a break from staring into the panel.

I would also guess is that it can serve to create the “illusion effect” of higher frames as a frame displayed might have say 1.5 breaks per frame.

Again more of a hypothesis based on my understanding.

If anything this shows just how clever the PiMax team is with thinking outside the box.

I think so too. BUT it’s merely an added bonus. I mean they could have just reduced the brightness of the panel itself, I doubt this shutter has some fancy way of holding back more bluelight than you could achieve by just finetuning the panel settings.

True fine tuning the panel could achieve similar results.

But i think the active shutter added benefit is giving the eyes a break & thus reduces nausea. I think even an Oled display may benefit from this concept.

Though it would also be interesting to see the new displays being made with flicker free backlit. (sorry if verved a bit off topic) :wink:

Too bad Pimax doesn’t chime in, would love to hear the why and what directly from them :slight_smile: