First off, let me start by saying I’ve been blown away with the 5k+, and you guys definitely delivered on the promises made in the kickstarter.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe the cracked casing issue in production has been fixed before my headset was produced, as it’s starting to show a small crack in similar areas as the other people.
Never been hit/dropped, and has been resting on carpet when not in use.
Since I’m based in the US, I figure I’ll wait until the us offices open to contact so the turnaround can be quicker. Is there any date for opening so I know when to open a ticket?
s/n 20360584701607 model P2