Resolution explanation, especially for Virtual Desktop

I am not a VR owner yet, but this is probably only a couple days away now. I’m a programmer that work in IT and I really like to understand everything perfectly before commiting to something.

There is some technical stuff I do not understand about VR, especially for stuff other than VR games, so I could use your knowledge!

I am really contemplating a Pimax 4K, even though I realize the real input resolution is 1440P.

First: Resolution in virtual desktop. One of the main interest I have for VR is the virtual desktop application, especially to play normal games on a giant screen with Tridef3d. The confusing part for me, is at what resolution would the giant screen theater be rendering? Let’s say I set a game at 1080P with SBS with Tridef or Reshade, what is the resolution of the giant screen assuming the headset environment itself is 1440P and that the screen doesn’t fill it all?

Also, assuming I can inject 3d SBS in a regular PC game, not VR, could I just simply use the headset as a normal display to play? What resolution would I put the game at in that case, and why is Virtual Desktp better?

And last, how is text browsing the web in VD with the Pimax 4K?

Well, sorry for all these questions, but I really want to understand properly!
Thank you

Okay here goes the overal picture is rendered at 1440p (25601440) its the upscaled to 2160p (38402160)

Now what you see is half as the screen is divided into 2 screens (per eye).

Now screen is 16:9 for the complete panel. However you see 8:9 picture. [( )( )]

So per eye is (12801440 upscaled to 19202160)

Now with the 4k model it was made for normal vision & myopia. If your far sighted it takes a work around to get the best picture (mod requiring lens over)

The other key flaw is soft ipd if your ipd is far wide or really narrow. You will expereince some eye strain (bug/cross eyed).

@sjefdeklerk haven’t used vd & such gor browsing web. He can likely give you an idea.

Generally 4k display in vr would be somewhat more like a 1080p screen as res divided in half/eye where as non vr you see it all with both.

Ok thank you for the explanation. If someone can chime in and gives me details on how the virtual desktop is, that would be great! I think I might have to wait for the 8K for that though… Do we have an idea when they will be available for people outside kickstarter? I knew about it too late…

@matthew.xu might have a projected idea on 8k consumer release.

My guess would be late fall to xmas 2018 at the earliest (but just a guess).

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Christmas 2018 is a good idea, hahaha just kidding.

Since the consumer release data has not been determined, I personally think it should be in Q3 2018.

Hello,
at some places one can read, that input resolution of the 4k is “1440” pixels.
On my system, the 4k-glasses are always detected as a “1920x1080” display,
independent on installing any pimax drivers or not.

Is that in contrary to your experiences or is that OK?

Originally, when buying the pimax 4k, I intended to display 4k stereoscopic images
one-to-one, whithout any internal scaling. It seems, that is not possible.
Is that right?

Gerhard

Correct the 4k model only has 1440p input max & then is upscaled to 4k.

In PiMax mode the headset accepts 1080p & 1440p input resolution & will not show upd in display properties.

In Video Mode the headset shows as an extended display & you have your display control panel options.

Ok, thanks.
In both cases (PiMax mode, video mode), my device is recognized (only) as 1920x1080.
So that is no “failure” of my device but quite normal (but I’m not very happy).
Gerhard

You should be able to get 1440p(2560*1440). Have you installed piplay?

Please post your system specs
Windows ver
Cpu/ram
Gpu/driver
Piplay version & headset firmware
First 3 serial numbers of headset.

@Pimax-Support @bacon are PiMax team members.

Thanks for asking back!
I tried it on two different systems:

System I:
Windows 8.1, 64 bit
i7-3770K, 8GByte
AMD Radeon HD 7800, 22.19.171.1024
On that system, the glasses always show “disconnected”.

System II:
Windows 10, 64 bit
i5-7200U, 8GByte
Intel HD Graphics 620, 21.20.16.4627
Glasses are recognized as 1920x1080,
before and after installing PiPlay.

PiPlay ist installed on both systems, version 2.0.5.64.
PiMax Version: SN.10071173001951

I know, my GPUs are below recommended,
but I need no gaming performance and
I just want to display 3D-images and 3D-videos
(with high resolution :wink:

Any hints for me?
Gerhard

Could you uncheck the check box “1920*1080 resolution” in Device page of Piplay? Usually it may occur abnormal images or disconnection when you uncheck it if PC GPU is lower.

One-to-one stereoscopic pictures/videos

Bingo, it worked!

Meanwhile I got the glasses connected on both systems.
Reason, why it not worked: I had two monitors and I had to disconnect
the second one. After that, the glasses was connected at once.

Yes, after unchecking “1920*1080 resolution”, the glasses was recognized
as 2560x1440 on my system I (AMD graphic).

On system II (Intel graphic), unchecking “1920*1080 resolution” just
rotated the image and glasses has been recognized as 1080x1920.

But it is all OK for me now and my system II is working as expected.
Thank you guys for your support!

Interestingly enough, the glasses will now be recognized by the system
as 2560x1440 without any PiPlay running. What has changed?

I can now control the glasses from my own software :wink:
(I’m working as a programmer and 'm just developing a software for viewing 3D-360° panoramas.)
Gerhard

You’re welcome.

It may be that “PiServiceLauncher” service still runs automatically.

Thanks all for you responses on this topic guys. So my Pimax 4K is in the mail! I will receive it next week. But I still cannot understand how the resolution actually work in games.

Let’s say I want to play Elite Dangerous with the maximum resolution and refresh rate, how can I let the game know to render in 1440P? I heard changing the game settings only change the reprojection window resolution. How does the game know to use max 60 FPS for the Pimax compared to 90 for the other guys? What about Vsync, do I need to enable it or is tear control already applied in Steam VR API?

Sorry, I know these should be fairly common questions, but I really want to understand well the process.

Piplay by default chooses 1440p input unless your gpu is underspec. Then you just goto piplay settings & untick 1080p.

Perfect! Also, since you seem to be one of the expert here, may I ask you what is the status of async reprojection with Piplay? Has it been implemented yet, as I read it was using a different render before, and now it cuts the framerate in half like the old reprojection tech in Steam…

Ok I received the unit, and all is good! Really digging it!

I have a question about headphones, it is mentioned that the headphones are 5.1, do I set them up as 5.1 in Windows Audio configuration?

Thank you!

I’ve never played with the settings on the hesdphones save volume tbh. In games works nice though.

The Async reprojection question best answered ny @Pimax-Support