StarVR One VS Pimax 8k?

Has anyone tried both headsets? If yes, which did you prefer?

Watch Seb’s video as of here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YXd69eE8p0&feature=youtu.be&t=1073

I do agree though that you’d need to see both HMD’s in their own price space. Comparing a Ford to a Porsche, like somebody here said, is difficult because they’re so differently priced (well still no price on the StarVR but I’d be highly surprised if they’d price it below $2500)

Pretty sure StarVR is premium quality. Although less pixels, all the rest is close to perfection. Grab your wallet.

I’m so glad that StarVR has solved The wide field of view problem, however I’ll most likely stick with my 8k, to me it’s about both resolution and SDE ,as well as FOV , does star vr a perfect fov with no Distortions whatsoever eye tracking, vibrant oled displays with 90 MHZ low SDE similar To the Vive Pro ?it sure seems that way but one huge “ problem “ resolution, I’ll gladly sacrifice 30 degrees Of FOV and have a nice crisp Image than a whole colorful blurry one .

Super excited For the StarVR 2 though Whenever it comes out!

What is nice about the StarVr One ( except the price) Is that it’s prove that for about 2K resolution per eyes, custom panel with lower SDE, High quality lens, eyes tracking and OLED panels vibrant colors we achieved a high level of VR immersion. Team that with a 2080Ti and you have a combo that was in SciFi only a few years ago…

Well to compare it correctly you’d need to compare the pixel count that can be seen through the lens. StarVR claims to have reached 100% panel usage by developing the OLED panel especially for their lens. Pimax took a standard 4k panel and tried making lenses for it. It has to be seen how the resulting panel usage is and only that should be compared if you’d want to make a fair comparison.

Yet I do agree that the resolution is a bit disappointing. Even though SDE probably won’t be much of a problem because of the 3rd subpixel, the resolution is still quite low which will result in less sharp image in the distance for example, at least that’s what I’m expecting. BTW that disturbs me with my Vive Pro also more than the SDE. It’s the feeling that your eyes have lost a bit of sight when you look at the distance. Simply because the distance isn’t detailed enough.

Yes but when all the peripheral technologies are their and combined and working, upgrading the panels along the road doesn’t seems a so difficult task.

You look like a candidate for the 5K+ :wink:

StarVR One is everything I expected for gen 2 VR. It will probably be too expensive for mass consumers but it sets the bar higher for the competition, including the one I am waiting for, the Oculus CV2.

LOL. Well I think it will take a view iterations of panel tech before we reach high enough resolution for details in the distance. But we’re making progress and Pimax is driving a lot of that.

We have no idea about StarVR performance or compatibility - it has only been tested in isolation in test conditions.
We do know it will cost an awful lot more than the Pimax and is not being mass produced for consumers.
For me StarVR is good for knowing the tech exists for great VR already, so affordable consumer headsets of that quality should be available in the next couple of years.

Yes but with Steam and a normal PC isn’t wonderful in itself?

Yes if it all works seamlessly, but we do not know if that is the case or the required spec or how it works with different games, how are the controllers etc etc.

Ok maybe the refresh rate is just 82Hz :wink:

The problem with StarVR One is that it has a custom renderer, not compatible with Unreal / Unity, and it doesn’t work with any existing VR game. Pimax on the other hand works with pretty much any Steam VR game.

That will be one of the issues, or at least risks with the StarVR: as they are going to sell really low quantities to consumers due to their (expected) price, hardly anybody will specifically support this headset. So either it works because it has a good SteamVR implementation and Revive works with it as is, or you might encounter the issue that a number of games/apps will not work with it for some kind of compatibility issue - and don’t count on the developers of the game/app to address this rather exotic headset in an update.

Those who are really interested in spending big to get this headset should surely try to get more information about this. I have no idea if it is a significant issue or not, but before dishing out that kind of money I would probably try to see some review which tested it, preferably with the particular games/apps you intend to use it with.

??? What does the HMD renderer have to do with the game engine?

It has 2 render targets per eye, so in total 4 render targets.

But it’s simply rendering the output that the Game engine sends to SteamVR. I don’t see the problem?

It probably might work for the 2 front render targets. For the other 2 render targets on the sides each game would need to provide 2 additional render targets.