SweViver: Pimax 8K X Specifications Revealed - Everything you NEED to know!

review

You didn’t need to as you said in the early days you didn’y want upscaled image.

I did read just about all if not all of published opinions. A lot chose based on pressure reviews & uncertainty of 8k upscaling quality improvability. Which has improved significantly to which clarity gap between both headsets is small.

Like I said those who have both large majority favor 8k.

The problem with saying people would have gone for the X is that backers wouldn’t have been willing to wait longer to get it. So now that there is a headset that is the embodiment of what everybody wanted, they want the new one. It’s understandable, but pimax has technically delivered, and even over delivered on the base headsets that they promised.

I do think it would be awesome for backers to get a discount, I’m just not sure if it will actually happen.

Generally, I think not listening would be a good path… :grin:

I’m talking about video ITW made at all meetups, right after people had compared both HMDs, vast majority preferred the 5K+. The videos are still there, go have a look. I know why I have switched from 8K to 5K+…

Improved the upscaling (=the algorithm itself), can you prove that ?
I bet you can’t.
You just base your assumption on final result (=image quality) at a given pitool setting.
My opinion is Pimax has just been playing with the base input resolution to close the gap between 8K and 5K+ at equal pitool setting (which means increased GPU load, as opposed to improving the scaling algorithm which would have brought that visual quality improvement at absolutely no GPU load cost).
If the algorithm had been improved be sure Pimax would have proudly posted here to announce it (knowing they were already “proud” to announce a 30% “performance gain” by… not using PP :rofl: )
Also none of the 3 musketters youtubers have followed any solid scientific testing methodology that could prove the upscaling algorithm has been improved (=visual gain at NO gpu cost). They have just tested at the same pitool level and noticed the clarity gap was closer compared to previous pitool versions and concluded 8K upscaling has been improved and nobody questionned that (lack of) methodology (no gpu load / fps comparisons) and just accepted their conclusions has a fact (they are the musketeers after all) despite it can just be the result of playing with (hardcoded) resolution numbers behind pitool settings (=what I call base resolution, the resolution for pitool = 1.0. And we don’t know how the pitool pipeline works anyway, the change could also have been made so that it doesn’t translate to the steamVR displayed resolution. But GPU load + fps comparisons wouldn’t lie, but such comparisons haven’t been made).
Anyway we already have had this discussion and I see no point into repeating it again, stay convinced the 8K is better and all the people who switched to the 5K+ took the wrong decision and now regret it (even if they are not aware of it :rofl: )

Wish I could have tried both devices, myself.

Whilst differences are differences, and different people will value different aspects higher or lower, I frankly remain under the impression a lot of people are hoodwinking themselves with sort of an “emotional attachment” to the larger, originally promised, more impressive-sounding-and-we-couldn’t-possibly-be-going-backwards number, to the point they experience a bit of a placebo effect, affirming an already made-up mind.

(EDIT: Conversly, one could of course wonder if there isn’t a bit of confirmation bias in the opposite direction, inspiring this very post itself. :9 )

Indeed, and the more I use the 8K the more I like it. It has some advantages over the 5K+, not only the slightly better SDE, but also blacks and colors.

Hi everyone,

could you please use another thread to discuss about any other topic beside the 8kX Specs? If you haven’t realized it yourself: you are bombing this thread. At least that is my humble opinion.

Thanks.

P.s.: Possible Thread Names:

• Was it a good Idea to produce the 8k after the decision was made to produce a 5k+
  • Do we get an Option to Upgrade from a 5k+ or 8k to an 8kX

Respectfully disagree.

Agreed besides proof is having see with ones own eyes versus only going by impressions. Those who have both know what they see first hand.

I’m really curious to see where 8K-X will land in terms of pixels per degree. I really wish there was a way to get 100% panel usage in HMDs like this.

I think it would be great if its density was identical to the Reverb, which I know is impossible, but would make it the far better HMD.

Is the Reverb display RGB stripe or pentile?

The reverb is RGB stripe LCD, same as the pimax 5k+ and index. 8kX with RGB stripe LCD would likely come very close to the reverb so long as they increase panel utilization a little bit.

Ok, cool. So, even the 8K X probably won’t have the same PPD as Reverb unless pimax does some serious Magic, but here’s hoping.

No, they should get very close to the reverb PPD regardless but should be able to match it if they can increase panel utilization or simply improve the lenses for even better clarity.

This news is great but I would prefer to hear that base stations, controllers are being sent and the pitool works great with games and FFR. Much better to have a really good experience and grow from there.

Should pimax make the 8kX on a newer display port standard which should be more readily available by the time the headset is ready? This might only allow less of a market who own RTX and above to purchase it but those with lower cards can run the displays at a lower refresh rate? I would guess by the end of 2019 they could probably push the refresh rate of the panels if they had more bandwidth to work with on a newer standard of display port.

Good read on chroma subsampling and DSC here though: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13060/asus-pg27uq-gsync-hdr-review/3

They are using DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3 and DSC). This is what the geforce 20 series supports, but the 10 series does as well. The 9 series does not. If they weren’t using DSC, they couldn’t go above 65Hz at this resolution (and that’s an optimistic estimate). However, DSC is frequently run at 3:1, so there’s already headroom for higher speeds there; the refresh rate is probably panel limited.

Chroma subsampling is a quite primitive compression technique dating back from the introduction of colour television, and is not desirable in VR until you get to significantly higher resolution than even the 8K X or Reverb. It’s the same base assumption that led to pentile. It could theoretically be used with pentile displays to reduce the cable bandwidth needs, but DSC simply does that better for full colour displays.

I thought the rtx series have 1.4a which bumped bandwidth by 25%?

Did it? As far as I’ve found, details on 1.4a vs 1.4 are still not public, and 1.4a didn’t actually change any speeds but might have bumped the DSC version. I’m not a VESA member so I can’t dig out what’s really going on in 1.4a. Multi-SST involves using more lanes, and is more likely to be applicable internally than through a headset cable. Anyhow, nvidia helpfully lists the DP version on the 10 series as “1.42” and 20 as “1.4”. VESA’s own material lists a speed bump on 1.4 simply by not including 1.3.

The ANX7538 product page (probably the chip Pimax use) lists VESA DSC v1.2a (v1.1 compatible). eDP 1.4a reportedly specified 1.1. I don’t think this is a feature they’re behind on.

Essentially to get near a 100% utilization need custom panels.

8k has a 5.7" panel where 5k+ has a slightly smaller panel at 5.5"

I am curious if a 5" panel might still have the height & width for the viewport.

Pixel Per Degree is okay but if we want a better metric SubPixel Per Degree would be better.

It might be DSC version they bumped, I’ll have to find that source that led me to believe that and confirm it’s validity.