SweViver: RTX 2080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Ti on Pimax 5K+ VR Game Benchmarks

Wow, this post made me go from:

“Meh, I will go with the 1080 ti for a while”

to
“Fuck it, 2080 ti lets go!”

in like 30 seconds.

Great post, will still have to think about it.

If games used the vrworks like serious sam does then as you could see from the results with +65 % perfomance. Then the 2080ti and perhaps also the 2080 would be ready for pimax.

However as most games don’t support vrworks yet it is mostly now about brute forcing without taking shortcuts via vrworks. Alteast Population one announced they are using vrworks for its variable rate shading aka fixed foveated rendering. So thats one more game to play in great detail on the Pimax.

Especially since they have tweaked and added apon that over the 1080 series.
Edit:
Multi-view Rendering for Ultra-wide FOV Headsets
As mentioned here

Hey Martin,
could you maybe do some video on comparing different laundry modes, when laundering the Pimax 5K+ and the 8K ?
I already know the headsets aren’t fogging up very much, the Pimax engineers were doing a great job there, but since i’m doing my laundry mostly between 60°C ~ 90°C using colour pearls and sometimes a little softener or even bleach, i thought maybe you could do a little comparison video on how you launder your headsets and if there is anything new to the headset behaviour when comparing laundering the Pimax to that of the Vive and Rift. Is the FOV maybe shrinking when using cold rinse temperatures, or is there anything washing out, maybe the colours. I really hope the colours of the 5K+ don’t get colder, when using bleach. And i’m even a little afraid using any softener on the 8K. Might go badly, and i don’t wanna do something really stupid. We’ve all been waiting so long for the headsets, so if i wash mine before first use, i wanna do everything right, if you know what i mean.
So i’d really appreciate it, if you could give us some insights on laundering your Pimax.

cheers @SweViver

JUMPING TO CONCLUSION:

40% games: unplayable --> playable
40% games: shit --> ok/good
10% games: good --> amazing
10% games: not much difference

Fixed

For waaay too long game developers have simply expected video card hardware would continually improve like 50% per year and just don’t bother to optimize. We are in a place now where they must optimize or their game simply isn’t playable in VR.

So we wound up with a combination of developers waiting for hardware *and waiting for various forms of ATW. It’s really upon the VR community to point out when they simply don’t bother to put any effort into it.

Yea if all used vrworks now then all games would be playable, but you can’t really expect older games not in development to support vrworks.
From what it seems optimisations are, and will be better now going forwards with variable lens shading being a comparably easy addition to implement. But for indie games it all hangs on unity and unreal to implement those such that they are easy to add.

Heck if they would just release the same game using the latest versions of Unity and Unreal would make a big difference. Even simple stuff would help.

That’s been a general problem with cpu/ram & gpus.

Program coding has become sloppy due to more principle.

Devs on Consoles have no choice but to make it work with what the non upgradeable hardware.

Upgrading unity version is often not as simple as it sounds. Its often a big job.

Wow! I hope your also that good when justify you “side” purchases to your beloved :wink:

My car died last weekend so I had to cancel my gaming x trio 2080ti pre-order. In hindsight the delay and more delay of the card is for me pretty fuckin’ awesome right now. That’s 1400€ towards a new car instead of a new card. Yeah, I’ll just call it destiny. Thankful.

Cubic zirconia comes to mind. Lol

This thread addresses the upgrade from a 1080Ti to a 2080Ti. If I had a 1080Ti I’m not sure which way I would go. But I have a 1070 and I assume the answer of an upgrade falls within this range:

1. What are you a moron, or course you need to upgrade to a 2080Ti?
  2. Go with a 1080Ti instead and save money, limit your game selection and settings.
  3. Stick with the 1070 and with a few additions your Pimax will make a great floral arrangement.

:wink:

Really no need to answer…

If you are on a budget like most of us and you don’t mind buying second hand graphics cards I would go fo 1080ti . I am keeping mine for the time being as the 2080ti cards are just too damn expensive at the moment.

I’m going stay with 1080ti and wait for next gen gpu. 2 kids in college is crushing me but well worth it;)

Good review, as expected, I would like to see how different the performance btw the two cards are at the higher FOV and, perhaps more importantly, how the performance is at cards that aren’t as heavily OC’d. I think most of us won’t be hitting the sizable OC numbers you manage (especially anyone with just a founders edition). Thanks

And then there’s the problem of convincing the wife that $2100.00 Au for a new toy takes precedence over a new deck for the house :grin:

Oh …that is a tough sell my friend…

[quote=“StkNRdr, post:74, topic:9361”]
…I have a 1070 and I assume the answer of an upgrade falls within this range:

1. What are you a moron, or course you need to upgrade to a 2080Ti?
  2. Go with a 1080Ti instead and save money, limit your game selection and settings.
  3. Stick with the 1070 and with a few additions your Pimax will make a great floral arrangement.[/quote]

or 4. Get a 2080 non-Ti. It’s not much more expensive than a 1080 Ti, but is slightly faster, with the possibility to be MUCH faster, if a game uses the special VR extensions.

I’m in a similar situation; I have a 980Ti and will probably go for option 1 or 4.